WARMOTH BAD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it helps as any sort of testimony, I have built two Warmoth guitars and am impressed by the standard of the finished product.

On both occasions I bought both body and neck from Warmoth, and had them finish them too. Both guitars were what I wanted, and no complaints.

The delivery was made promptly, no loss in transit issues and little to worry about, even though the deliveries were to Australia.

I understand that with maple neck/maple fingerboard necks that are finished that you will have to have the frets dressed, and the finish scraped off. War,oth state that very clearly on the relevant webpage. But that should be a part of the final setup.

USA Custom has less options for wood and shapes, although you can purchase your own wood pretty cheap - exotic body blanks are only $25 to $50 or so - and USACG will cut them for you. USACG has many more, almost infinite neck shapes available, as they do them all by hand and you can select contour and dimensions. The quality of the wood is identical, from what I've seen. I like Warmoth's double expanding truss rods for a heavy, "modern" build, but I like weight in a neck - I think it adds tone, and I don't need to dance on stage so "neck drop" isn't a concern - I like tone. However, I like USACG not charging extra for a straight radius... their prices are less than posted, at least if you catch Tommy in a good mood. They're just different, and they have different strengths, and I'll continue to use them both. The last USACG neck I bought had fret ends that were shaped a bit better than Warmoth usually does, but I'm really picky so I still did 'em. They needed to be polished more than the last few Warmoths.

This is not a cowboy movie where one guy wears a white hat and the other guys wear black hats and you're Nell and you have to choose the winner before the big shootout... or you'll get sold to the Mexican banditos.*  :sad1: I'm glad they're ALL there, because Fender, Gibson et alia don't build guitars with the odd combinations of features I want. It takes some comparison shopping to figure out who's doing what. I've only used Warmoth & USACG (in the last 20 years at least), but from what I've seen Mighty Mite (Stew-Mac) are the lowest grade, Musikraft, next, Allparts import necks actually get good reviews, and Warmoth and USACG do the premium grade work. The latter two do truckloads of work for "custom" manufacturers, secretly... Bill Crook uses USACG necks, Normandy & the high-end Yamahas use Warmoth, Lindy Fralin reshapes Allparts necks. To me they're all just boards cut into appropriate tool-like shapes - I'm not much for the mystical properties of boards and wires. But then I think flowers are just smelly, stuck-up weeds.**

*(Don't get me wrong, why some of my best friends are Mexican banditos....) :blob7:

**(I have been accused of a lack of romance, as unbelievable as that may seem.) :icon_scratch:

The guy who built my neck at USACG used to work for the Fender Custom Shop back when they first opened....

I have 3 necks and 2 bodies from warmoth. only one needed a VERY minor leveling to be perfect. as it stood when it arrived,
it was better than most factory bolt-ons that i've tried.

As a side note, here is a little factoid for you metal heads.

"malloch" is actually from the Italian Phrase/word "Malocchio (Mal- oh-kee-oh)". This translates to evil eye. or more to the
point to curse someone.  Sicilians tend to chop off the last syllable of words as part of their dialect. sorta lower class farmers
and such. Before any of you get their panties in a wad, i am a descendant of those very peasants!  :icon_tongue:
Ronnie James Dio's granny is too!

With that info: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1:

http://www.luckymojo.com/evileye.html
Later guys!

GoDrex said:
Max said:
And if Gary (GoDrex) is happy with it, anybody can be!
Same with Ortheo :p

this is very true - though I'm not nearly as demanding as he is. But Warmoth just hates me and always has. But anyone else will certainly have better luck. I have a 26 year old curse on me - the moloch! :headbang1:
absolutely right :) I'm demanding indeed :)

@max: I'm orpheo, but ok ;)

All of my WARMOTH gear has been PERFECT.  The only adjustments I have to make is to slightly mill a floyd shelf a bit.  Fret work has not been necessary...thank god since I have been using SS frets.

I have seem $4000 Gibsons and Fenders that need fretwork!

Orpheo said:
GoDrex said:
Max said:
And if Gary (GoDrex) is happy with it, anybody can be!
Same with Ortheo :p

this is very true - though I'm not nearly as demanding as he is. But Warmoth just hates me and always has. But anyone else will certainly have better luck. I have a 26 year old curse on me - the moloch! :headbang1:
absolutely right :) I'm demanding indeed :)

@max: I'm orpheo, but ok ;)
Whoops, sorry, Orpheo :p I know how to spell it, too  :doh:

They don't round the fret ends but other than that they're good.  And remember that's a feature not a bug.  It lets people who want sharp fret ends (they must exist  :icon_scratch:) have them.

All I know is that the body they sent me was absolutely beautiful.  They told me 4 to 5 weeks, and I had it in just under 2 weeks...

Warmoth is great stuff, you just have to do a little work to make it perfect most times, since we're talking about high-end, custom instruments.  I was given a USACG neck by the guys when they first started on their own and were in Tacoma, and it's a really great neck.  I've seen StuMac bodies and necks and wasn't anywhere near as impressed.  I love Warmoth for the rare woods, but USACG makes some really great stuff, and Tommy just rocks, let's be honest.

-Mark

I think they are both great, and I'm glad that they are both around.

A great example is my most recent build:
I'm using a body from USACG that was one of their web specials.  It's a AAA carved top strat (dinky), on a one piece mahogany body that someone apparently returned (based on the price I had to buy it on sheer principle).  I like the carved top strat idea and Warmoth doesn't make it.  The neck however, is a Warmoth canary angled strat that was on the showcase.  I really dig the angled headstock, and as far as I can tell, USACG doesn't do the angled headstock thing at all.  Any knots on a showcase piece are your own fault in my opinion.

I was concerned that the two wouldn't get along, being rivals and all.  Low and behold, the neck fits into the pocket of the body.  There was no arguing, backtalk, or any other issues to speak of.

When you come down to it, you are talking about a piece of wood (really variable and unpredictable material) that has, for the most part, been largely shaped on a CNC machine.  Seriously, I think it's assumed that you have some tools.  It's not a "kit".

I'm going to reshape the body a bit around the edges anyway, and I pretty much always end up reshaping the heel.  A loose splinter or sharp spot is really low on my list of concerns.  I'd do a setup on any guitar I bought, period.

There's my 2 cents.

James

Since we're talking about necks here, I've owned two warmoth necks (currently just own one, which is on a warmoth tele body), and the build quality is excellent.  Sure they needed a little fret dressing, but I'm just fussy, and I coulda gone without.  I'm a happy camper.

AprioriMark said:
I love Warmoth for the rare woods, but USACG makes some really great stuff, and Tommy just rocks, let's be honest.

Much agreed!  I think both are great companies that produce great parts.  My double f-hole tele from USACG is an awesomely beautiful guitar and it sounds rich and resonant for a thinline.  On the other hand, the four (soon to be five) Warmoth guitars and basses I've built have also been great instruments.  Warmoth has more flexibility.  I'd recommend USACG for people who want something traditional (ie, standard Fender shapes in alder, swamp ash, or mahogany) but have exacting requirements on the details.  Warmoth is better in the variety it offers, in body shapes, woods, and all the many options that are available.  USACG also doesn't do in-house finishing last I checked (which was admittedly a while) but that was never a concern for me since I do all the finishing myself typically.

To every guitar parts manufacturer...turn, turn, turn...there is a season...turn, turn, turn...

Yes, it appears that no one company has (or does) it "all".  You can find pros and cons with all of them. You just gotta do plenty of research so you can get what you really want (or as close to it as possible)...

Maybe I am not a fussy...but all my warmoths are perfect.  I have not need to dress the frets and they are always straight.  The only adjustments I have needed to make was a slight lowering of a floyd shelf.

I agree that Warmoth quality is second to none. Far superior to USA Fender items. Though I can't speak to Fender "Custom Shop" models, because I have never played one.

But I am biased. I love Warmoth. The quality is superb, and the selection of woods and finishes is mind-blowing. Their finishes are especially great. The attention to detail is amazing.

For my money, I'd much rather build a Warmoth "partscaster" that is very, very high quality while being truly custom and truly unique . . . instead of spending twice as much money (at least!) for a Fender Custom Shop guitar that, while rare, is not unique.

Honestyl? The only thing Ive heard about Warmoth being "bad" is their compoudn Radiused necks. Ibe heard some luthoer types say that they couldnt be set up without  buzzing. No amtter for me, I like a straight 10-12" radius anyhow. Bodies are the best!

jerryjg said:
Ibe heard some luthoer types say that they couldnt be set up without  buzzing.

Let me be the first of many to say: This is 100% false and I categorically deny it. Consider that, if that were actually true, how would you explain the thousands of necks that Warmoth has sold and continues to sell?

How.  Would I explain it?;  The very same way I'd explain this thread. The guys Ive heard it from were far from hacks or hobbiests. They wrere true dedicated and knowledgable  skilled luhthiers with years of experience.It was enuf to scare the be-jeebus outta me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back