VIP Gonna take a while on this one but couldn't let em slip away.

MikeW said:
Wow Surf. Gorgeous stuff there. I think this is going to be the best looking of your collection for sure. Nice job man! Looking forward to seeing this one come together.

Thanks brotha. I was thinking the same. This is the first guitar I would consider to be pretty. I'm putting humbucker size P-90's and flatwounds on it. Hoping to get a supper clean jazz tone to her.

Great Ape said:
Playin' ''supper'' clubs are ya?  :icon_jokercolor:

Haha that would be sweet. Got a classy guitar. Now just need to work on my chops and get me a suit! Working on a few Joe Pass songs. I'm still a ways off on being ready to play or record for peeps. I got time though.

Surf n Music said:
I'm putting humbucker size P-90's and flatwounds on it. Hoping to get a supper clean jazz tone to her.

Currently have Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Swing 12s on my old ('64) Tele. Neck pup through a '63 Gretsch 6161 Dual Twin sounds pretty dang sweet.  :icon_smile:

I've been eyeing those strings. I'm finding strings like pyramid and thomastik are expensive but they never corrode and have a long life. I live by the ocean and with other brands  the B and E start corroding in a couple weeks.

Definitely worth trying. They really sound and feel great, though you won't be rocking out, that's for sure.

Also want to try their Jazz Bebop strings ("small gauge round wound nickel winding, produces a strong, fundamental rich jazzy tone that is somewhat brighter than a flatwound," as per their website).

I live near the ocean as well (the Pacific), but not right next to it. About 3 miles. No problems with string corrosion, but I do dehumidify my acoustics.

When I lived in Marina, Hawaii, and even Ft.Hood my strings would corrode in about 2 weeks. My acoustic guitars were happy though. Man, moving back to Colorado, that's been a whole different trip. Shrunken fretboards and the 14-16 fret hump.

pabloman said:
When I lived in Marina, Hawaii, and even Ft.Hood my strings would corrode in about 2 weeks. My acoustic guitars were happy though. Man, moving back to Colorado, that's been a whole different trip. Shrunken fretboards and the 14-16 fret hump.

I think about moving back to the mountains sometimes. What type of fretboard woods shrunk? Were they still playable? I got two ebony, a bocote and a rosewood. The rosewood looks the least dense.

The fret ends will stick out. You just file them down. It seems like maple is the worst. I worked at Guitar Center for a while and we had to constantly dress those ends.

@pablo, well at least its fixable. I would be so bummed if I moved and my guitars necks all took a sh!t. I can deal with fret ends. My ebony boards feel almost waxy and the bocote pretty close to that as well. Almost like they have a built in finish. Hopefully they resist if and when I move back to mountain territory.

@Rgand. Thanks brotha. Just ordered the hardware direct from schaller. Can take up to 6 weeks to get. Here is to waiting  :)

Doing what I can. Got the frets leveled and polished. Still need to burnish. These frets were the best yet. Only a few frets where high, the ones that were only took a little crowing to get em level. Good surprise.
005_7.jpg

006_5.jpg

019_3.jpg

020_1.jpg

Well a set of pickups arrived this morning. It was cheaper to buy direct from Bare Knuckle although shipping took awhile with coming from overseas.
I got a Manhattan in the neck. It is a alnico 3 measuring at 6.6k
The bridge is a Blue note. It is a alnico 2 measuring at 7.5k
002_7.jpg

Perry Combover said:
Your patience is clearly being rewarded.  Bravo.

Haha thanks, cause I am feeling very impatient  :). Hardware is on order...coming form germany though and they don't give you tracking. It is like when I was younger, just gotta check the mailbox every day. I'm really excited for this guitar.

Surf n Music said:
Cagey said:
Where did you find that log-in?

So from this page you can register an account. Then while your logged you can browse different parts and click on em to add them to your basket.

http://guitar-parts.biz/hp291835/Schaller-Shop.htm?ITServ=Cb8ff9bdX15049da59b1X7d86

Don't know if I'm doing you a favor by telling you  :laughing7:

Thank you SOOOOO much for this info!  I looked for that for ages when I was looking for black locking schaller tuners (with the hidden locating pin) for my tele.  Literally searched for a year and a half trying to get them and finally found one set here in the state.  I even found a french interpreter to try to buy them from a french website.  Definitely bookmarked that site - I love Schaller's products and now I know where I can get em!

You'll love playing that neck.  I fell so in love with the all bocote neck I have on my tele that I would love to put them on all my guitars - regardless of how they'd look.  I loved it so much that I went kind of bocote crazy - made a cane for myself out of it, pens, etc.  Awesome wood.  Everyone who's played my tele has fallen in love with it and I've had some pretty crazy offers for it that I've turned down.  GREAT neck wood!

Steve St.Laurent said:
Surf n Music said:
Cagey said:
Where did you find that log-in?

So from this page you can register an account. Then while your logged you can browse different parts and click on em to add them to your basket.

http://guitar-parts.biz/hp291835/Schaller-Shop.htm?ITServ=Cb8ff9bdX15049da59b1X7d86

Don't know if I'm doing you a favor by telling you  :laughing7:

Thank you SOOOOO much for this info!  I looked for that for ages when I was looking for black locking schaller tuners (with the hidden locating pin) for my tele.  Literally searched for a year and a half trying to get them and finally found one set here in the state.  I even found a french interpreter to try to buy them from a french website.  Definitely bookmarked that site - I love Schaller's products and now I know where I can get em!

Awhh so good to hear. I was trying to fins a certain bridge they make for a strat and it took me a while too. Checked so many websites and then while clicking every button on their page I found the log in. Was so stoked.

Glad to hear on the bocote also. I just got one for a fretboard and was so stoked on how it looked and felt. Thought to myself that it would make a good raw wood for a neck. Already burnished her and man she is so slick. Really feels nice to the hand. I was looking at knives the other day with bocote handles. I can relate a bit :)

Back