Tom P.'s eBay Project

I didn't think I needed to post yet another photo of sanding, Bondo-ing, and priming the headstock. I just got another coat of primer on there. It's not PERFECTLY perfect, but the next time it will be paint. No, really!

I'm getting real sick of dry-sanding. The 600 loads right up and I have to change the sheet on the block after only a few strokes. I will wet-sand the body once I get that baby sealed up with some paint. I don't dare get water on the neck.

I finally got the headstock to where I'm satisfied with it.
IMG_0001-4.jpg

I saw this masking technique on one of the many gearhead shows I watch on TV. They called it "backtaping." You roll the tape so it leaves a tapered edge instead of sharp dropoff. I have never done it and it seemed perfect for this step.

IMG_0005-5.jpg

Ladies & gentlemen, we have paint! But wait...It's not sticking! I suspect the tack rag I used to remove the last bits of sanding dust is leaving its waxy stuff behind, and the paint won't stick to it. I'll leave it to dry one more night, clean it with some naptha, rough it up with some 0000 steel wool, and try it again WITHOUT using that damn tack rag.

Don't be aggressive with the tack rag, or it will leave residue. You're just trying to wipe off dust, not polish the part. A light touch will do. The "tack" will pick up the dust without any extra effort on your part.

I was being gentle with the tack rag, and the primer stuck fine. Obviously not gentle enough! I may use it again, but only dab with it instead of wiping. AND follow with a naptha wiping.

What I am on the fence about now is whether to finish up with a clear, or just leave a nice polishable base coat. Clear-coating the "binding" and main white color together would certainly help protect against chipping, but I have had great results with just a base coat on one-color paint jobs.

I don't know about protecting against chipping, but a clear coat gives you something to wear on with polish, while a color coat will expose primer if you make it through somehow. Of course, the same thing will eventually happen even with a clear coat, but it takes longer.

My gosh, more trouble with paint not sticking. No more naptha or other solvents! No more tack rag! I gotta block sand again, and will get it to be right. This part of the process is taking longer than I expected, but I'll keep being patient and make it nice.

I think the paint is sticking now. I have the white primer and paint ready & waiting.

The Holy Diver was described to me by an expert. I have never handled a guitar with one, but I thought it seemed like the best Bare Knuckle to put in this thing.

The Norwegian Guy said:
Gotta love those BKP's!
Great project, man! Looking forward to see it finished!

You better be ready to wait a long time, this thread is at least 6 months old. I'm looking forward to it being done as well

That's for sure! More like A YEAR and six months.

I got a 7-string to hold me over until this one's done. Pretty good, I thought: "If I put a real Floyd with a bigger sustain block on there, change the pickup...Wait a minute! I ain't working on any guitars except my Warmoth project until it's done!"

It only reminded me of my decades-old philosophy of "Why buy a brand new guitar only to have to change everything? Just build from parts to begin with." That guitar I recently bought is already on eBay.

I know this thread is old but it's really addictive.  All the work you've done is very inspiring. It's the one thread I keep looking for updates...

I decided to be done with the "binding" on the headstock. I masked with 1/4" pinstring masking tape, then with bigger blue tape. I hope it doesn't leak!
100-0001_IMG.jpg

This is white primer, although the lack of light makes it look gray:

100-0005_IMG.jpg

The white primer reveals a big ledge where the black paint was masked off. I had sanded it pretty smooth, but obviously not well enough. I am considering putting a thin coat of Bondo on! Or I can just sand/spray/sand/spray to fill it in with more primer until it gets decent.

This little headstock has been pretty tough. I actually think the body will be easier to do; bigger curves, bigger sanding blocks. Bodywork never goes as quickly as we want. I really want to be done with this neck.

I'm painting the headstock right now. It won't come out real pretty, but I'm tired of it. I need to move forward & get this thing playing! The headstock can always be fixed up some other time.

I un-masked it and it's unacceptable. I thought of a way to fix it. I'll sand the top surface smooth, and re-do the white. THEN I will mask and do the "binding" only on the top, leaving the black that's already there (and came out just fine) on the sides.

Skipping the "binding" altogether would have been SO much simpler, quicker, and easier!

Back