Tom P.'s eBay Project

TomPerverteau

I don't get much time to work on it, so it's going slowly.

IMG_0002.jpg

Pile of "junk" from eBay, all from different sellers.

IMG_0003.jpg

Unacceptable bridge relocation hack. Somebody used a 25 1/2" scale neck when the body was originally made for the 25" scale. Check out the metal plates screwed & glued! This is why a chambered mahogany carved-top 7-string body went for $46 shipped.

IMG]http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae342/TomPerverteau/IMG_0002-1.jpg[/IMG]

IMG]http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae342/TomPerverteau/IMG_0001.jpg[/IMG]

IMG_0003-1.jpg

The de-butchering begins. I bored all the way through with a 5/8" endmill.

IMG_0007.jpg

Hard rock maple dowel is difficult to find, and most likely wouldn't fit quite right anyway. So I turned my own from an especially hard piece! I decided to go opposite of the conventional lengthwise so that the grain would run the same direction as that of the guitar body.

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

Dowels glued in. I got the grain somewhat close to the same direction as the guitar body's. Plenty strong to support the Floyd!

IMG_0014.jpg

And from the back. Probably not necessary, but I was so disgusted with a previous owner's "work" that I went all the way through!

Can anybody see that? This is the first time I have tried to post an image here. I'm not a very good computer geek.

Post a link to the image, and I can put it up. You clicked the image button, but you didn't put the link to the picture between the |img][/img]

I have a nice Word document with photos showing & describing everything so far, 1,688KB. I also have the photos in Photobucket. Haven't been able to figure out how to post it.

Those are cool inlays! Good work on the fill and drill, too.
Nice top, I just might reconsider the knobs, but to each his own.

:icon_thumright:

The knobs are what came on the body. I never had any intention of using them. I plan for a single black dome knob and the switch that came with the body.

I have more filling to do in the bridge recess cavity where somebody did some freehand routing, as shown in the photos. I will use mahogany there. I plan to paint it, with a matching headstock face.

The neck will need a piece made in order to properly install the Floyd Rose nut. It's a stock 25" scale 7-string Warmoth neck with almost no wear. I paid $81 shipped.

I'm burned out on "superstrats." I like the idea of the shorter scale for my small hands, and better response to bending & finger vibrato (Floyds sure don't help with these!). I would never have had that body made brand new as it's out of my budget. I would have gone with the regular flat one. But watching the 'bay closely made me stumble upon these killer deals, and into a different type of guitar than I originally expected. I hope the mixture of Gibson & Fender traits produces an instrument with character.

Well it sounds like you have a clear vision!
These types of projects are my favorite. you should end up with somthing realy special!

Looks like a project to get your teeth into. Agree you'll likely need to move the top pot - must be inaccessible that close to the trem?
You've already started but one option would be to fill in the bridge area completely and start again - hardtail or trem - I hear Kahler's are pretty good ;)

I would love to have the volume knob in a better spot, but looking in the control cavity there is no better place. Very unfortunate.

There is no need to fill in the entire bridge routing, just gotta un-do a bit more of the destruction somebody else did.

Notice the new-in-the-box REAL Floyd in the first photo. I have used them since they became available to the public. No reason to change now. My opinion of Kahlers is not good.

I appreciate everyone's input & support! It motivates me to get more done on it. That, and the fact that my only other 7 is an Ibanez GiO!

Looks great!

It's fun bringing some of these hacked up bodies back to life.
Looks like its coming along real nice.

Im so pumped to see another 7 finally made its way here. I love watching the work too. Are you going to solid finish it after all of the work?

Yes, I plan to paint it. There will be a lot of patchwork visible, and the top is nothing spectacular to look at anyway. It will be one color with matching headstock face.

There will be a bunch of visible patch work, and the top is really not spectacular anyway, so yes. I plan to paint it a single color with a matching headstock face.

I was just checking out neck/body fit. It turns out I need to drill & fill the neck holes. What I discovered was that there were 6 tuners installed on this neck. There are holes from the little screws, and marks from six tuners being on there. There is no evidence whatsoever of a seventh tuner ever being on there! In fact it's clear that there never was. Weird.

Back