skull and crossbones neck inlays - cool or cheesy?

jalane said:
Cletus said:
David said:
I can't make up my mind on the skull and crossbone inlays.  Sometimes I like them and other times I think they are cliche or that I would grow tired of them after a while.  I am thinking they might look nice on my next telecaster, but just can't decide.  What is the opinion on the board?

be classy. get a really nice fingerboard with no inlay.

magnum.jpg

Speaking of classy, how about a Tom Selleck 12th fret inlay?  Huh?!

Tom Selleck is synoymous with classy, so yes- that's a goer. The neck I order recently- no inlays.

42 years old here and think the skull and crossbones are cheese-a-roney. I'm also sure that you'd get tired of it. Maybe just one at the 12th fret.
MULLY

Mully, think about a pirate theme guitar, maybe graphics of a pirate ship on the body,
Go with it, I mean it is no more cheesy than celtic cross's

I almost think the crosses are worse.... ALMOST.

But seriously, Celtic cross inlays cause me NOT to buy The schecter damien 7 elite or C-7 hellraiser (Which I REALLY wanted)

Not that the bats i have on the regular damien 7 are much better, but they are better haha.

I've always loved no inlays, it's simple and elegant. It ALWAYS matches, and i find dot inlays make stuff look cheap... Except on fenders.

AGWAN said:
thats why I asked if anyone had done just the one, and if it cost different, 90 for a hole neck inlay is fine, but just for the 12th...

I would hope it costs less!

Sorry, still going to cost full price.  We make our inlay pieces in full sets.  It's going to cost the same even if only one piece is used.

Would you be interested in other inlay options?  How about a signature in a block at the 12th fret? Or initials in a block at the 12th fret? Did I hear someone say diamonds??

So if you only want 1 inlay on the 12th fret
and it cost the same
I can see the point of inlays come in sets

I can see the can of worms this can open

Wyliee said:
AGWAN said:
thats why I asked if anyone had done just the one, and if it cost different, 90 for a hole neck inlay is fine, but just for the 12th...

Sorry, still going to cost full price.  We make our inlay pieces in full sets.  It's going to cost the same even if only one piece is used.

Would you be interested in other inlay options?  How about a signature in a block at the 12th fret? Or initials in a block at the 12th fret? Did I hear someone say diamonds??

How much for a Tom Selleck custom inlay? :icon_biggrin:

jalane said:
How much for a Tom Selleck custom inlay? :icon_biggrin:

We'd have to work that out, but it might be possible.  Warmoth did a 'Bart' inlay many years ago...

billy_leach_lrg.jpg

I really don't get the fascination with skulls & crossbones. I do happen to think it's cheesy. It also screams (in my opinion) of  immaturity.

Street Avenger said:
I really don't get the fascination with skulls & crossbones. I do happen to think it's cheesy. It also screams (in my opinion) of  immaturity.

I think "screaming immaturity" is a bit much. In my opinion people like what they like. I don't see why anyone's age has to come into it. I do think the skull is a bit cheesey though. I also think it's something that might look really cool at first but after a bit of time you'd grow tired of looking at it. Not to mention it could so easily go out of style.....although when I see that skull on there I immediately think 80's. God knows I love the 80's, that was my decade, but some things need to stay there. Mullets come to mind. Anyway, I look at a fingerboard the same as a watch face. Sure, it might be cool to buy the fancy colored face on a watch but in another 10, 20, 30 years the standard black or white face will still be rockin' it while your blues, maroons etc... will have long ago faded away.
MULLY
and I'm talking about a watch that you'll still be wearing in another 30 years like a Breitling, Rolex etc....

To be far, the ones Warmoth does know I think it's cheesy... :sad: They look a bit "funny" instead of mean...

if they had some evil skulls I'd think nice for heavy metal players, not as sofisticated as this but on this league:

DmonessCimmerianinlay.jpg

DaemonessHadianSkullTB03.jpg

These couple were made by Daemoness Guitars in UK... The inlays from this guys are absolutely piece of art! (not talking about the themes but the work itself as these other two below)

DaemonessCimmerianAH7_12.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

that water droplet one is AMAZING

Wyliee said:
AGWAN said:

cant think of any words on blocks I'd do... but I seriously wonder if that bunny can be done on a fretted neck. (like.. after its bought. I'm guessing Warmoth doesn't do inlay that custom at any price... anymore?)

+1 that the skulls are pure cheese.

also +1 that Warmoth needs to add many more inlay options. The price wouldn't be as big a deal if you could get what you really wanted. I'd love to see an option where you could provide your own fingerboard from someone like shark inlay for your neck, but I'm sure that raises too many warranty issues and such for w.

That water droplet inlay is incredible.

This is what I want.....

ssssdm.png

:headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1:​

Jusatele said:
cheesy would be a a cow drinking out of  pitcher of Corona and Cheese coming out her udders

wow, A cheese guitar. now that would be a Killer idea, with skulls and cross bones

No jolly roger, but it's cheese all right - Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal's heavily modified Ibanez Roadstar:
bfoot-cheese3.jpg

Bagman

mullyman said:
This is what I want.....

ssssdm.png

:headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1:​

Now we're talkin'.... :icon_biggrin:

Every time I see skull & cross bones or cross inlays my cholesterol level shoots up due to the high cheese factor.  :doh:

Back