skull and crossbones neck inlays - cool or cheesy?

David

I can't make up my mind on the skull and crossbone inlays.  Sometimes I like them and other times I think they are cliche or that I would grow tired of them after a while.  I am thinking they might look nice on my next telecaster, but just can't decide.  What is the opinion on the board?

IMO - if you get that sort of thing you better be able to play like a bad ass... or be 16. Or both. ;)

GoDrex said:
IMO - if you get that sort of thing you better be able to play like a bad ass... or be 16. Or both. ;)

Well, I'm 40, and my guitar playing has never been described as bad ass.

But it is funny, because I was showing the Warmoth site to a neighbor's son who is 18 and plays metal, and he really liked the skull and crossbones.  And I thought, "maybe it isn't for me."

Meh.  If you want something bad-ass, try this:

http://www.mcnaughtguitars.com/index42.htm

skullinlay1.jpg

It depends upon the "theme" you are going for.  Sure, metal is obvious.  I wouldn't get them for every build, but I do have a neck being made with the skull and x-bones, but to me it matched the overall vibe of the build.  I'm 42, btw, and I sure don't play bad-ass -- well, maybe in my dreams.

I'd forget the bones/crosses on frets 3, 5, 7 etc and just get the skull/crossbones on 12...  on a jet black ebony board that would look pretty cool, definitely less cheesy than with the bones or crosses.  Arrrrr!!!

Ongolman, that is bad-ass.

The Warmoth skull and bones are REALLY cheesy, in my opinion.  Dots, traps, or blocks... everything else W offers is kind of silly.  (Split blocks would be cool.)

Neil Stryker said:
I'd forget the bones/crosses on frets 3, 5, 7 etc and just get the skull/crossbones on 12...   on a jet black ebony board that would look pretty cool, definitely less cheesy than with the bones or crosses.   Arrrrr!!!

That is what is being done with mine, except the board is macassar ebony.

dbw said:
Ongolman, that is bad-ass.

The Warmoth skull and bones are REALLY cheesy, in my opinion.  Dots, traps, or blocks... everything else W offers is kind of silly.  (Split blocks would be cool.)

Not a fan of the sharkfins combined with a Jackson-style headstock?

I like the diamond shaped inlays, but it seems like for $90, you should get more.  They are almost the same as the regular dot inlays.

Skull inlays ROCK....... :headbang1: But I do agree with Doc, I'd do just the Skull and bones at the 12th...... And put this plate  with it..... :laughing7:
2593445917_09c0c07f04.jpg

:eek:  OKAY.  That plate is AWESOME.  Doug, make me one just like it with DBW2 under the skull and ship it out.

dbw said:
:eek:  OKAY.  That plate is AWESOME.  Doug, make me one just like it with DBW2 under the skull and ship it out.
Ok, I need fiddy dollars to make you holla, i get paid to do the wild thing..... :laughing11:

Back