skull and crossbones neck inlays - cool or cheesy?

I agree, that plate is really cool...
but the inlays are borderline cheesy in my opinion..
some goes with crosses, but that is kind of ok if you are either in a religious band or a black sabbath fan..
if a celtic cross was an option I would take it right away though! (only in the 12th!)

DangerousR6 said:
Skull inlays ROCK....... :headbang1: But I do agree with Doc, I'd do just the Skull and bones at the 12th...... And put this plate  with it..... :laughing7:

Now that is not a cheesy totenkopf.  It is very cool and I would be proud to have an inlay like that.  But you have to admit that most are way too overused.  I've not looked at the W variant, so I should check it out.

JBD

Old here...  And dig the skull and crossbones...  Tastefully done of course...

2250594327_fb6fdb9957_o.jpg

stormbringer said:
Old here...  And dig the skull and crossbones...  Tastefully done of course...

2250594327_fb6fdb9957_o.jpg
That looks bitchin'......Just the skull and bones, and that neck wood is wicked, looks like one piece.... :icon_thumright:

David said:
I like the diamond shaped inlays, but it seems like for $90, you should get more.  They are almost the same as the regular dot inlays.

Warmoth really suffers on the inlays. Anything than dots will cost $90 more and it's not even abalone or mother of pearl. The shark fins, scull bones and crosses are too 80's and metal for me, the oval is just... boring :toothy11: I'd like to see more Gibson inlays with more options on the colors & materials, like the limited editions they had a few months ago in the showcase. I like the Night Swan inlay but not in a traditional strat/tele. Even this though, a dot style inlay, is not a standard option.

Kostas said:
David said:
I like the diamond shaped inlays, but it seems like for $90, you should get more.  They are almost the same as the regular dot inlays.

Warmoth really suffers on the inlays. Anything than dots will cost $90 more and it's not even abalone or mother of pearl. The shark fins, scull bones and crosses are too 80's and metal for me, the oval is just... boring :toothy11: I'd like to see more Gibson inlays with more options on the colors & materials, like the limited editions they had a few months ago in the showcase. I like the Night Swan inlay but not in a traditional strat/tele. Even this though, a dot style inlay, is not a standard option.

Hey Kostas nice to see ya, I kind of agree with you, the inlay section is kinda lame for $90. I never really liked the shark fins. But I do like the skull and bone, stuck in the 80's I guess. If you want Gibson style I just saw in the showcase they added like 30 necks in the Warmoth style, and pretty much all were Gibson style block inlays, good stuff in there. As far as just plain dots go I've always like the Jackson Pro series type dots, they're the smaller dots along the top edge of the fretboard. BTW never seen a pic of your axe with the neckplate i made. Did you mount it?

DangerousR6 said:
... As far as just plain dots go I've always like the Jackson Pro series type dots, they're the smaller dots along the top edge of the fretboard. BTW never seen a pic of your axe with the neckplate i made. Did you mount it?

I like em too as I like the Music Man thin dots. I sent you a PM about the neckplate.

Yeah, I think so too... Why cover up the ebony board with an inlay that you might like now but could possibly regret later?  I was gonna do ovals with mine but then decided to do dots instead.  I can't play a board with no inlays.  I had a Wasburn with no inlays and I had to get rid of it.  I kept getting lost on the fretboard.  Could be because my skills are subpar, but still, the Washburn had to go...

On the right build, I would like the diamond-shaped inlays.  I personally think the star inlays are cheesy.

Fish said:
Yeah, I think so too... Why cover up the ebony board with an inlay that you might like now but could possibly regret later?  I was gonna do ovals with mine but then decided to do dots instead.  I can't play a board with no inlays.  I had a Wasburn with no inlays and I had to get rid of it.  I kept getting lost on the fretboard.  Could be because my skills are subpar, but still, the Washburn had to go...

Did it not have side dots? That's how my guitars are. It is easy to miss by a fret on the higher frets but I find it forces me to concentrate more.

Shiver me timbers, them skull & crossbones inlays are as cool as a wedge of stilton left on the windowsill on a sunny day. Ahoy thar!

why start a new topic when you can Necropost?

I can't help but wonder if you ONLY  did the 12th fret inlay, did it cost less?

If you have to ask, it's cheesy. The only scenario under the sun where it might possibly not be cheesy - you wouldn't really care what we thought anyway.

Do these chaps w/ spikes make my butt look big?

David said:
I can't make up my mind on the skull and crossbone inlays.  Sometimes I like them and other times I think they are cliche or that I would grow tired of them after a while.  I am thinking they might look nice on my next telecaster, but just can't decide.  What is the opinion on the board?

be classy. get a really nice fingerboard with no inlay.

magnum.jpg

GoDrex said:
it definitely seems like a metal thing... or for pirates ;)

Honestly, I think it would be awesome on a pirate themed guitar, but it does kind of remind me of something I would have wanted on my guitar when I was a teenager.

I was thinking it would look spiffy in an ebony fretboard on a birdseye maple neck painted Transparent Red, on an iceman body painted transparent red... Korina or swamp ash...

I know the finish would be two totally different colors... but I like the image I see in my head when I consider it all.

I need something on the 12th regardless.... methinks.

Back