Roadhouse Build thread

That looks great, I would go very easy on the stain, don't want to hide that grain pattern. I just had great success with Crystalac BriteTone on my guitar. I sprayed on about 8 coats and let it set for a month before sanding and buffing. came out very nice.

Thanks for the suggestion, R91B. You're right about keeping that grain pattern visible. The plan is to do a handful of samples until I get it right. Then I'll tackle the body.

Sneak peek.

I made a prototype pickguard from a linoleum tile to make sure I got everything placed correctly. I do need to adjust things a bit in the control area. Other than that, it's all good.

ic7sirC.jpg

I could almost just clear coat it and put a pearl pickguard on it. I have shaken my own firm decision on color. :laughing11: At least it'll be this or trans red. Probably...

stratamania said:
It is going to look good either way regardless of colour.
Thanks. That's why I have been so undecided on the color. Each has its own appeal.

Transparent red would still be good and would be a good counterpart to the last one you built.

Transparent red over a nice piece of mahogany is an absolute classic look.

Then again, imagine it with deep trans blue... or green, obviously.

Anytime you want no help whatsoever, give me a shout.

Good points, guys. Thanks. Yeah, trans red will be the color. I just have to get another batch of dyes. The previous order leaked all over inside the package and looked like something died (not dyed) in there. It's going back and they're sending me a replacement order.

Attachments

• IMG_1816.JPG
    IMG_1816.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 18
I have a bottle of Behlen Solar-lux alcohol-based stain in blood red if you want it, Robert - never opened.

Bagman67 said:
I have a bottle of Behlen Solar-lux alcohol-based stain in blood red if you want it, Robert - never opened.
Thanks for the offer but they're making good on this.

Thanks, Rick.

The pickguard pattern is now adjusted. It seems when you rout linoleum, it trashes your router bit. It wore a very shallow groove in mine so when I used that bit to make the new routing pattern for the pickguard, it ended up with a slight high spot all the way around it. I had to set the bit a little lower and cut with another part of the blades to work that down. Fortunately, that bit was a cheapo and not one of my good Whiteside flush cut bits. I guess I'll have to find another material to use for test pick guards.

I've been working with scraps of the mahogany to get the color I want. The cherry flamenco red came out too orange on the mahogany but a few drops of blue dye in it got the shade right. Unfortunately the photo flattens the chatoyance into dark and light areas but it's even more pronounced than without the finish. It'll be something like this.

h6GmSM7.jpg

Now sanding to prep the body.

Hubba hubba, etc., etc., ad infinitum.  That's a handsome red thing you got there, Robert.

Indeed. Reds and Mahogany go together like chocolate and peanut butter.

Back