On Fire Flame Thinline

What sucked about them? Heavy, especially neck-heavy enough to give the average poster on this board a real conniptiion fit. I didn't care for the feel of the neck, neck contour and the general tone of the guitar. If you look at the ones on this page:

http://www.vintagekramer.com/alum.htm

I think it was a 350G model; belonged to a guy I knew in Germany that I think bought it when he was stoned on hash and didn't like it much either later. I never played one of those newer models, probably the ones that came with the DiMarzios didn't sound as awful, but if the neck contour/weight remained the same I wouldn't have liked them either.

mayfly said:
DangerousR6 said:
jackthehack said:
DangerousR6 said:
Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
A chrome neck would feel awesome.
Kramer had a series of aluminum necked guitars, referred to as the "metal necks" but they weren't solid aluminum, they had wooden inserts in them..

And they sucked...
What sucked about them? I've played several and other than being a bit heavy I liked them...Especially the XL5

I heard that they went out of tune under hot lights.  That's just a FOAF rumor though
I have no knowlage of that, never gigged with one. The ones I've played have been in music stores or pawn shops. :dontknow:

mayfly said:
DangerousR6 said:
jackthehack said:
DangerousR6 said:
Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
A chrome neck would feel awesome.
Kramer had a series of aluminum necked guitars, referred to as the "metal necks" but they weren't solid aluminum, they had wooden inserts in them..

And they sucked...
What sucked about them? I've played several and other than being a bit heavy I liked them...Especially the XL5

I heard that they went out of tune under hot lights.  That's just a FOAF rumor though

Not a rumor; also ill-effected/sensitive to cold in the same manner.

Gorgeous !  great work

Have you ever tried painters tape to leavel the "binding " natural .. you still have to cut it to size , but it's not quite as nerve racking as scraping.

Happy Holidaze

It’s hanging there looking at me but I have to take care of paying customer first so it has moved further down the line.  It’s almost ready to for the next steps which will be to tape the binding and shoot some yellow shading on the back and sides.

Well I’m just about ready to burst this fine piece of wood.  I shot a real light coat of yellow shade on it when I had the yellow out for jay4321’s Tele. Now it needs 2 coats of clear, level sand and I’ll be bursting it.  If I don’t blow the burst this will be unbelievable!  The single-ply Tortis guard is from Tony Dudzik at Pickguardian, which is the only place I could find to do a single-ply for me. http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguardian/

IMG_3765.jpg

Got her bursted today.  OUCH!   :toothy12:

Dark edge.
IMG_3890.jpg

Red added.
IMG_3893.jpg

Hanging ready for clear.
IMG_3894.jpg

Ignore Fernando, that finish rocks.  Can't wait to see it clear coated and shiny :)

It looks really smooth! I don't like the three-toners often because it looks too... staggered or something. Your smooth one is great. More sunbursty.

You can name this one Max too. And decorate it with postage stamps and address labels to a home in NC. :toothy12:

Here is as picture in the sun with 2 coats of clear and the binding tape pulled.  I'll scrape the binding when I'm thinking clearly.

IMG_3900.jpg

Back