On Fire Flame Thinline

Sorry to say Max but the only thing that I have done on this guitar is the ferrules have been counter sunk and the neck is finished.  

I have several other things going right now one of which is the upside down strat that you instigated.  SO it’s your entire fault.  :evil4:  But that is not a bad thing since I’m thinking of naming that white Strat “Max” in your honor and I don’t usually give names to guitars.   :guitaristgif:

Max said:
Cool. Can you put that name on the case as well? Along with a few stamps and my address.

LOL!!!! :toothy11: :toothy12: :laughing8:

Cheeky, Max, cheeky.... :headbang1: :guitarplayer2:

Here we go!  I’ve messed around with colors long enough so I took the plunge today.  This is Lutherie Mercantile Yellow MEK Dye  (#FMDYMEKY) mixed in alcohol.  It looks real close to my flame top Gibson Les Paul, kind of an orange yellow.  I did not like what it did to the swamp ash so I have to sand that back and make some adjustments.  I’ll add pictures during the process.

IMG_2693.jpg

IMG_2694.jpg

I had an amber dye that went on very weird.  I called it, "Nuclear Carrot," colored.  I found that it became a lot better looking when I just continued to wipe it with paper towels that I added Alcohol to.  Just kept going until the dye looked more like a wood tone.  The nice part was that I could always move onto stronger solvents or grab the solvent block because the washing was not really doing anything I couldn't change.  But, I wasn't using it on Swamp Ash.  That dye certainly dyed the binding amber on that body.
Patrick

This is the best way I know to get high blood pressure.  Scraping binding is so nerve wracking.

IMG_2701.jpg

But it looks better already.

IMG_2704.jpg

I like it!  You could always make a custom binding scraping tool like the Italian gentlemen restoring the D'Angelico.... but now you're done so I guess it's a little late  :)

That has to be some seriously painstaking and finicky work.  My hat's off to you sir  :icon_thumright:

Looking fantastic Tonar!

I'm guessing taking the picture of you doing something nerve wracking made it less nerve wracking :) and nice dye choice ( I like yellows and blacks)

Here’s the old balloon trick to support the shield in the F-Hole and the Electronics route from getting any over spray.  I use a drawdown panel from the paint store to put in the cavities and the balloon pushes them back up against the body so no finish get down in the routes.

IMG_2705.jpg

Now she is ready for a wash coat.  Once the wash is dry I’m going to tape off the top to get the sides and back filled and ready to finish.

IMG_2707.jpg

Its time to move on to the back and sides but the number one priority is to protect the front so it’s taped off.

IMG_2730.jpg

The back and sides are sanded and ready to go.

IMG_2731.jpg

Paste filler next.

IMG_2732.jpg

My greatest concern on this guitar was getting the color of the Swamp Ash and the Dyed Flame Maple to match. I could not be any happier; the past filler colored the ash to match perfectly.

IMG_2734.jpg

Back