On Fire Flame Thinline

What do you use as a wash coat?  I taped off some quilt and the tape did all kinds of funky to it.  I had left it there for a while to work on the grain fill, not the best idea...
Patrick

Tonar, are you this meticulous in everything you do, or just guitar finishing?

What do you use as a wash coat?  I taped off some quilt and the tape did all kinds of funky to it.  I had left it there for a while to work on the grain fill, not the best idea...

For my wash coat I use 1 part finish, 1 part lacquer thinner, and 1 part of retarder.  On the tape notice I used the 3M Blue low tact tapes and I only left it on for 2 days, which was risky.  The best thing to do is get that stuff off after a day.

Tonar, are you this meticulous in everything you do, or just guitar finishing?

LOL! No I'm a mess!  I am meticulous about my guitar and amps.

WOOOOOWWW!! Just seen the pics today-that flame is insane on both pieces!!!!!!! :tard:

I am gonna be followin this thread to learn for sure! I am interest in doing a stained figured maple guitar top but I have to say-that neck is just crazy-I don't recall ever seeing one like you have there-its is simply stunning. :eek:

And the technique you have shared with the ballons and stuff-thanks man-that is just awesome :icon_thumright: :glasses10:

Why did'nt you mask the binding when you shot the color, is that a mis-step ?

And your binding job, fantastic. It looks perfect.

And I challenge you to do a "Chromey" for your next, with a fully chromed scalloped neck!? fretboard too!  and you'll name it  . . . Kreig ?

Sorry, but I think you are ready for this level of work . . . :eek:ccasion14:

http://www.simscustomshop.com/

And you are "sniffing" the same vapors as Ken Warmoth. You guys are insane . . . :hello2:

I think he dyed it.  In my experience, masking tape doesn't work that great with solvent dyes.  That and you rub it on...  He did mask off the flame when he grain filled with the paste.  I swear, there needs to be a video series, "Tonar's Master Class..."
Patrick

Why did'nt you mask the binding when you shot the color, is that a mis-step ?

Patrick is correct that I did not shoot the dye and I would have had to scrape the binding anyway since the dye would have bled under the tape.  I did not tape the binding when I filled it since the paste filler doesn’t impact the binding.  I only taped off the front when I was filling the ash to protect the maple.

I will tape the binding before I shoot the burst and will include pictures of that.  

I am going on hold with this guitar for a few weeks.  I have to go to the Caribbean for vacation.  It’s going to be tuff but I think I’ll force myself to get on the Cruise Ship.

And I challenge you to do a "Chromey" for your next, with a fully chromed scalloped neck!? fretboard too!  and you'll name it  . . . Kreig ?

Does a Copper Tele qualify?  I got one of those going right now.  I was also highly inspired by the Candy Purple Lefty that Superlizard is building.  I happen to have some Crescent Powder called Fire Lining that I’m going to shoot a sample of and get all your opinions on.  I may switch gears on the reverse Strat that Max inspired and go from Oly White to the Fire Lining Powder.

Thanks for the link to the Sims Custom Shop and the vote of confidence they have a real professional set up.  My interest lies more in total vintage lacquer finishes although once in awhile something shows up on the board that gets me thinking.  Gregg’s son’s Les Paul is an example that was a very cool finish.  But them I wake up and go back to sniffing lacquer.

kreig said:
And I challenge you to do a "Chromey" for your next, with a fully chromed scalloped neck!? fretboard too!  and you'll name it  . . . Kreig ?
Master_Chrome_Photo_2-large.jpg

WOW... Thanks ALOT Danger. I've never seen a Chromey Tele, AWESOME . . . (it'll be on an ever increasing list of dream builds) :hello2:

kreig said:
WOW... Thanks ALOT Danger. I've never seen a Chromey Tele, AWESOME . . . (it'll be on an ever increasing list of dream builds) :hello2:
It's actually aluminum, but it has been chrome plated. Fender had a but load of strat's and tele bodies made for some limited edition models. And a lot of the bodies were never used, so thier still floating around out there.. :icon_scratch:

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
A chrome neck would feel awesome.
Kramer had a series of aluminum necked guitars, referred to as the "metal necks" but they weren't solid aluminum, they had wooden inserts in them..

DangerousR6 said:
Kramer had a series of aluminum necked guitars, referred to as the "metal necks" but they weren't solid aluminum, they had wooden inserts in them..

And they sucked...

DangerousR6 said:
Yeah, I know. One was the 650G, which i really want to play.

jackthehack said:
DangerousR6 said:

And they sucked...
What sucked about them? I've played several and other than being a bit heavy I liked them...Especially the XL5

DangerousR6 said:
jackthehack said:
DangerousR6 said:

And they sucked...
What sucked about them? I've played several and other than being a bit heavy I liked them...Especially the XL5

I heard that they went out of tune under hot lights.  That's just a FOAF rumor though

Back