Mahogany Jaguar *completed* Pics pg 5-6

Wowza  :eek:  that pickguard something else.  :icon_thumright:

Looking good.  :headbang:

Thanks, guys.
Ian, the pic I sent was the last one in the above post.
Cagey, the only thing that was an issue with this copper was cutting it.  All I have are a jewelers saw, and a dremel with some diamond bits for grinding it back.
The sunburst was done with a piece of abrasive cloth on the flat end of a dowel.  I (almost) centered a screw in the dowel, cut the head off and used it as a bit in the rotary tool.
Then I put the rotary tool into a plunge router base and set the depth so it would just brush the copper when I leaned on it.
Then I did some more with the rotary tool just hand held, to get some wiggly lines.

The torch was more hair raising, as you only get one shot at it.  If you blow it, you have to go back to the abrasives/ wire brush and start over.  If it gets too hot, it just washes the colors out.

Meanwhile, I'm messing with another pickguard idea.  It still needs some tidying up, holes, etc, but I didn't want to get too much work into it if it turned out weird.  I'm still not sure...
GL-Pickguard_zpsa4bce45a.jpg

Indirect light...
GL-Pickguard-on-body_zpse9a4066d.jpg

More direct light...
GL-Pickguard-on-body-direct_zpsb8f52182.jpg

Hey, Preston, sorry to have missed you when you were here.  Let me know if Daikaiju attacks Austin, it might be a good excuse to burn some ff miles.

tylereot said:
Hey, Preston, sorry to have missed you when you were here.  Let me know if Daikaiju attacks Austin, it might be a good excuse to burn some ff miles.

Ooh... Good idea! Gotta pack your bass vi, though... :laughing7:

Wiring.  Hooboy.
Pickup-surgery_zps382ac87f.jpg

So after all this open heart surgery... nothing.  Grounds out.  It's going to take some time to figure this one out, as I worked from a modification of a diagram published on the web. 
AND my day just went downhill from there.

I wish I could help with the wiring, but I'm clueless when it comes to this sort of thing.

I would honestly bypass the upper plate. I'm doing that with my build. The upper controls are a bit too much, they tend to dull the sound, sort of like a rolled down tone pot.

Wiring a Jaguar is a special form of hell that I find it difficult to believe anyone deserves.

I've only done it a few times, and shorts are common. They're usually in the forward upper control cavity, but there's lotsa opportunity in the lower forward cavity. In the upper cavity, you have to squeeze by the pots, which can bend leads over to where they touch housings and take signal to ground, and in the lower forward cavity you end up with about 18 terminals exposed on those switches. In both cases, things may work until you screw down the mounting plates. At that point, the close quarters mean it's easy for a bit of wire to bend a terminal over and contact something it shouldn't, which somehow almost always ends up being a ground.

If you know this ahead of time, you use a lotta heat shrink tubing. If not, you'll probably go through some electrical tape isolating conductors.

ಠ_ಠ said:
I wish I could help with the wiring, but I'm clueless when it comes to this sort of thing.

I would honestly bypass the upper plate. I'm doing that with my build. The upper controls are a bit too much, they tend to dull the sound, sort of like a rolled down tone pot.

Yeah, that whole control scheme is some sort of Rube Goldberg fever dream that doesn't make a lick of sense even when it all works right. I don't know what the hell Leo was thinking about when he came up with that.

Cagey said:
ಠ_ಠ said:

Yeah, that whole control scheme is some sort of Rube Goldberg fever dream that doesn't make a lick of sense even when it all works right. I don't know what the hell Leo was thinking about when he came up with that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Jaguar#Features

The Jaguar and the Jazzmaster also shared a dual-circuit setup, one circuit for lead and another for rhythm, each with separate controls, allowing for two pre-set tone and volume settings between which the guitarist could rapidly switch. The Jaguar, however, had a more complex lead circuit consisting of three switches and two dials on the lower bout: the first two switches were on/off switches for the neck and bridge pickups, respectively, while the third switch engaged a capacitor that served as a high-pass filter. The rhythm circuit, set into operation when the upper bout switch is flicked upwards, had individual volume and tone rollers but no option to choose between pickups. This rhythm circuit has a bassier, neck-pickup only range.
[/size]
[/size]So yeah, Mr. Fender, meet Mr. Goldberg.

When it comes to diagrams for jag and jms on the web they always assume you're working with a shielded pickguard or control plate etc.
Just do a simple wiring with the lower controls and switches then move on from there. The good thing is you can get at most things without taking strings off but I would not even put strings on at first. Just tap the pup(s) with a screwdriver or something.

FWIW, don't forget, the shorter claws go under the bass strings. Not related but wanted to toss that in.

Thanks, Ken.
I got it working (of course, I just had one wire reversed...).  I'm still suspecting quirks, as the neck pickpup clicked a LOT louder than the other two when I got it powered up, even though they tested about the same resistance.  :icon_scratch:

Regarding the rhythm circuit : I really wanted to make that usable on this guitar, as you hear a lot of surf recordings with a really bright rhythm guitar behind an actually DARKER lead/melody guitar (see original Astronauts and PJ and the Galaxies recordings).
I didn't want too much roll off in the rhythm circuit for tone, so I may wind up modifying that yet again, but I did want the ability to roll off a little volume with the flick of a switch.
As it is now, it's got a Vitamin Q in the rhythm circuit only .1uf, so the tone control should be pretty easy to use.

Cagey: you don't really have shorts with this kind of thing if you use the cloth push-back wire.  Like you say, much is grounded, but you've only got tiny opportunities for hot circuits to touch anything.  Now, why one pickup seems louder than another is a whole nuther enigma to be solved, once I get the neck done, on and strung.
Still waiting for yet another sheet of copper to arrive for the headstock, but otherwise the neck is refinished, and feels niiiiice...

Back