Mahogany Jaguar *completed* Pics pg 5-6

Ok, good. So long as you know. I'm obviously preaching to the choir here <grin>

..and I appreciate it too!  Most of the reason that Bass VI and the Jazzmaster turned out so good is because of you and the rest of the cats on this forum.
:eek:ccasion14:

Now... what do you know about soldering copper to bronze?
:evil4:

I've not done it, but there are a number of YouTube videos on the subject that make it seem fairly easy. Pretty much like sweating pipe - you need some flux, solder and a good heat source.

I'm not at all sure what I'm doing for the pickguard, but it needs to be something kind of special.
At first, I thought I'd use some of Mike Quick's 'tobacco leaf' for the pickguard and headstock inlay.  He sent me a sample of it, and it's just TOO dark, and a little too...polished?
So, I thought I'd go with copper.  Bought a sheet of copper yesterday, but it needs something on top of it.  The copper itself has almost no contrast with the wood.
If I did some kind of translucent acrylic on top of the copper, it would still need some texture to the copper...something kind of random, like gold leaf, or silver leaf.

Thinkin' out loud here....  :icon_scratch:

James Larson, who built Girl Brand guitars, used to do some great stuff with masks and stencils on copper plate.

https://www.google.com/search?q=girl+brand+guitars&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Hq8wUpHfE-OZiALWr4Bg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoATgK&biw=1920&bih=979&dpr=1

See, e.g.:
girlbrand-custom-2.jpg

463girlbrandguitar.jpg

2607469_2_l.jpg

2607468_2_l.jpg

A fun idea just occurred to me -

Maybe a tooled leather pickguard, with some copper leaf on part or all of it, with a dark glaze or wash to highlight the contrast, and take the shine off the copper?  Or maybe copper conchos integrated in the design?

Conchos and tooled leather?  Not quite my style, but I do like that your imagination is engaged.
I met a guy who does exactly that kind of stuff: engraved tele bridges, pup covers, and tooled leather stuff.  Not quite my thing, but fun jewelry for yer ax.
ash.jpg

Concept 1 is to lay down copper/ silver leaf to make it random, then drop colored resin over it, like in a tortoise shell pattern.  Then lay up another layer of clear resin over it.

Concept 2 is to do some amount of flame coloring and patina on the copper plate itself, which I might be able to replicate on the headstock as well.  Neutralize, then hit with a coat of clear.
Both risky and experimental 'art' projects.
I do have another neighbor who is a metals artist.  He's out of town at the moment, but I will be brainstorming on this with him, before I break down and just order some plastic pickguard.

Cagey said:
When you sand, you need to get it level before you put on the next coat(s). That means you need to sand with something flat, so you only hit the high points. Best thing is a common rubber sanding block, such as this...

Rubber-Sanding-Block-300.jpg

One thing, I've worked with these, and for small flaws, I would just use a woodblock... These can do the exact thing you described, and work with the flaws. Sure beats using your hand, though.

I lost track somewhere after 20 coats, but it's about a half a can of lacquer, and I'm just going to let it cure.  It's outside, where it's covered but still gets a lot of light.  I'm hoping it will continue to darken and get 'agey'.

Body-top-curing_zps5a8c13cc.jpg

Sunny shot with a sample of Mike Quick's (Quickguards) "tobacco leaf" pickguard material.
This is kind of the effect I'm going for on the pickguard, but I'll be likely doing it myself since I want to echo the pickguard on the headstock.  :icon_scratch:

Body-sun-quickguard-2_zps483a6fbf.jpg

No, I haven't started sanding out the lacquer just yet.

Thanks! 
I keep going back and forth on the pickguard and headstock.
I got playing around with some copper plate, and cut it into a pickguard. 
Flaming the scrap produced some very interesting and chaotic color effects.  I'll probably add this (work in progress) to a copper plate for the headstock, brass screws, etc.

Jag-logo-progress_zpsd5210f90.jpg

I invented that Tobacco Leaf material! I have the pickguard now, but basically no other parts for the guitar it's meant for. Grrr, by the time I actually get round to building it there'll be nothing "unique" or "bespoke" about the pickguard at all! :D

In case you're going to try making your own, and in case Mike hasn't told you how it's made, it's variegated gold leaf hammered flat, and then a brown tint put on the clear plastic before sandwiching it all together.

Thanks, Jumble, Mike did tell me how it was done.  I've been playing around with other ideas along the same line, but so far nothing has quite done it for me.
The Quickguard material itself is perhaps a little too... what... polished? Elegant?...for the rest of the guitar?  Even if I just had him make the pickguard, I'd still need something on the headstock to echo it.
I've tried some casting resin in various shades over gold leaf for a similar effect, but it still looks a little contrived.

Oh, and Doug, I don't have a laser cutter, just saws and files.

Pickguard day.  Made of copper plate, and the stuff is a bear to work with.  But it turned out pretty fun, and I sure won't see another one like it.

Pickguard-setup_zpsf4d57054.jpg

Geneva stripes...
Pickguard-sunburst_zps4153f924.jpg

Add a little fire, and pow!
Pickguard-flamed_zps65c1e975.jpg

Bad-ass-tacular, Tyler.  Wire-brush'd and then heat-treated?

BTW, the text w/image you sent me today has been hung up all day, failing to download.  Care to try again?

Peace  -

Bagman

Nice piece of work! I'll bet that wasn't really any fun. Did it stink? I remember years ago while working at a place that did some amount of heavy copper work, we hated the days they cut the stuff. The whole shop smelled awful from the burning copper. We always thought "This has got to be toxic. Nothing that smells that bad can be good for you."

That, and the occasional mistake where a selenium rectifier would get installed backwards. Power up the control, and this noxious gas would issue that you just knew was going to result in cancer of the something-or-other. Talk about rotten. It was gut-wrenching. We'd have to evacuate the room for half an hour at least.

Back