Green Paisley B-Bender Tele

mayfly

Epic Member
Alllllrrrriiiggggghhhhhttttttttt!

The other thread was getting to long, so it was time to start a new one.

Besides, now I've got some bits to show:

n527102111_2320580_6390101.jpg

We've got the alder body, the paper, and a newly purchased parsons-green bender. 

The plan is to seal the body, route the bender, apply the paper, then ship the result to Tonar.  I needed the bender for routing since there are steps that require you to eyeball the bender on the top of the guitar to take measurements, and I didn't want to disassemble my other guitar (got a show this weekend don'tchaknow)

Tonar gave me very detailed instructions on how to seal the body.  In fact, he clearly stated that I should seal it with this stuff:

n527102111_2320581_6733046.jpg

and when Tonar says to do something, you do it!

Stay tuned for more action...

I'll say!  I'm quite excited about this project.

Here's what the body looks like with a coat of the sealer on it.  It's almost a shame to cover it up with the paper  :icon_biggrin:

n527102111_2320743_6709414.jpg

n527102111_2320744_6684129.jpg

Tonar:  you were right about this sealer - it's really good stuff.  And it has a pleasant alcoholic smell that not even my wife finds objectionable  :icon_jokercolor:

looks good so far, whats the bender thing? is that going into the guitar somewhere?

I wish tonar would write a book, I know we would all buy a copy. Every book I ever buy on finnishing , gets too bogged down in teaching me chemistry, which I know is important, But I figure I can learn paint theory better by following a specific recipe  ala Tonar

Rarely have I seen a W body made out of 3 pieces of wood spliced together.  Did you request it since it is going to be sealed with Paisley prints ?

Alfang said:
looks good so far, whats the bender thing? is that going into the guitar somewhere?

I wish tonar would write a book, I know we would all buy a copy.
Heck, I'd buy two so I could have a working copy and a shelf copy.

The B-Bender bends the B string alone and is actuated by the upper strap button.  Its a pretty invasive install, so most people won't even consider it.  It a pretty cool effect though!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUAULCawbMs

This project is looking fantastic man!

Unwound G said:
Rarely have I seen a W body made out of 3 pieces of wood spliced together.  Did you request it since it is going to be sealed with Paisley prints ?

Nope - I just snagged it off of the showcase last week.  My main shopping criteria was:  light and cheap.  Three piece and Alder was an accident - a happy one it turns out: Tonar pointed out after the fact that alder has not as much end grain to worry about.

I'm definitely digging the use of the discontinued paper on the real deal.  It makes this just that much more original.

This is a very exciting and original project!! post lots of progress pics!!

Unwound G said:

that is actual way more common than you think! I asked warmoth about this once, and they told me that a lot of customers prefer this, since they like to have the pickups, bridge and neckpocket located on the same piece of wood.

I'm so interested to see this finished and hear tell of the process with the paper.  Very interesting!

It's ok - it's wrapping paper and not wall paper.  The resonances of these are different because wrapping paper is thinner. 

Also, it's metallic wrapping paper so it actually enhances the highs a bit.  I just need to choose the neck so that the overall balance is not too brittle.

<edit>  forgot this:  :icon_jokercolor:

Prett cool mayfly, and Tonar is absolutely correct, Zinsser is awesome stuff. Got a can of it myself, but I got the 100% wax free... :icon_thumright:

DangerousR6 said:
Prett cool mayfly, and Tonar is absolutely correct, Zinsser is awesome stuff. Got a can of it myself, but I got the 100% wax free... :icon_thumright:

The stuff that I used is 100% wax free as well... I'm guessing they changed the label.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present the following photo essay of tonight's activities:
n527102111_2325886_4836262.jpg

n527102111_2325887_902634.jpg

n527102111_2325888_4076761.jpg

n527102111_2325891_3177864.jpg

n527102111_2325892_1804842.jpg

n527102111_2325893_2939577.jpg

That's enough excitement for one night.

Back