Fingerboard radius options for vintage series necks.

Gregg said:
- I'll add to this thread just to correct some disinformation. -

* Warmoth tried Nitro finishes for a number of months. In shipping the parts world wide, the parts experienced temperature extremes that cracked the finishes beyond belief. After trying many formulas of Nitro and handling floods of returns due to cracking, we abandoned Nitro for the good of all.

* Our Total Vintage, Vintage Modern and Warmoth Pro neck's fret slots are all cut with gang saws so leaving a fret or two unslotted is not an option.

I'll end my post with a question whose answer is likely self-evident; to garner more "bell" tone, would you add more wood or metal to your recipe? Just thinking out loud.

Fair enough on the Nitro issue.

As for the 7.25 gang saw-radius machine, with all due respect, is that not just a time-saving procedure in the manufacture of Warmoth's Total Vintage series neck? According to the shop tour Warmoth employs a straight radius cutting machine which appears to be 21 fret compatible. There are also separate machines that cut slots and install frets one at a time for a variety of different neck types shown in the shop tour. Considering the preceding, it seems obvious that Warmoth is capable of manufacturing a Total Vintage 9.5 radius neck, and probably manufactures a number of straight radius necks with these machines already - albeit for a predetermined upcharge.

From what I understand - the machine they use to make the total vintage neck is non-adjustable.

arkivel said:
Gregg said:
- I'll add to this thread just to correct some disinformation. -

* Warmoth tried Nitro finishes for a number of months. In shipping the parts world wide, the parts experienced temperature extremes that cracked the finishes beyond belief. After trying many formulas of Nitro and handling floods of returns due to cracking, we abandoned Nitro for the good of all.

* Our Total Vintage, Vintage Modern and Warmoth Pro neck's fret slots are all cut with gang saws so leaving a fret or two unslotted is not an option.

I'll end my post with a question whose answer is likely self-evident; to garner more "bell" tone, would you add more wood or metal to your recipe? Just thinking out loud.

Fair enough on the Nitro issue.

As for the 7.25 gang saw-radius machine, with all due respect, is that not just a time-saving procedure in the manufacture of Warmoth's Total Vintage series neck? According to the shop tour Warmoth employs a straight radius cutting machine which appears to be 21 fret compatible. There are also separate machines that cut slots and install frets one at a time for a variety of different neck types shown in the shop tour. Considering the preceding, it seems obvious that Warmoth is capable of manufacturing a Total Vintage 9.5 radius neck, and probably manufactures a number of straight radius necks with these machines already - albeit for a predetermined upcharge.

There is much more to the process than what you see in the tour pictures. Make no mistake about it, we can make practically anything. With enough money, you can fund the labor for new tooling and program machines to introduce any new product. If it were an easy thing for us to mass produce today you could easily assume we'd already be doing it. If it takes a significant amount of resources, then it takes its place on a priority list in order of demand and return on investment along with all the other potential new offerings proposed.

I have no doubt that going forward our list of options will grow significantly and maybe one of those offerings will be the combination you desire most. In the meantime, without compiling a list of everything we do not offer, detailing exact tooling and related issues, you'll have to take it on faith that we are not simply jerking you around when we say we won't or can't do a particular combination.

-CB- said:
From what I understand - the machine they use to make the total vintage neck is non-adjustable.
You're right CB. Even the bottom of those fret slots are curved at the 7 1/4" radius. Almost all the machines and tools we use for the Total Vintage are dedicated soley to that neck contruction type.

excuse my ignorance but couldn't you take a total vintage neck blank without the extension and then do the radius, frets slots and frets on the same rig you do the vintage modern and/or warmoth pro necks on? just remove the cutter for the last fret slot...

i'd expect an upcharge for handling, but it doesn't seem unreasonable. i mean you can mix and match inlays, and some other work that requires special handling, could it really be that hard to implement?

Let's get to the nitty gritty. Would you be willing to pay for all the tooling and/or tooling setup changes?  And are you willing to wait an extended period of time? 

Warmoth has done custom necks in the past.  Starting price has been around $600 and done only during slower times of the year. (This is indicated on the website.)  Granted, volume has continued to grow since that note was added to the site and there really isn't a slow time these days, which makes custom necks much less likely to happen.

DiMitriR33 said:
excuse my ignorance but couldn't you take a total vintage neck blank without the extension and then do the radius, frets slots and frets on the same rig you do the vintage modern and/or warmoth pro necks on? just remove the cutter for the last fret slot...

i'd expect an upcharge for handling, but it doesn't seem unreasonable. i mean you can mix and match inlays, and some other work that requires special handling, could it really be that hard to implement?
As a matter of fact no. We cannot simply use different machines on different construction necks.

You ask "could it be that hard to implement?" I've already answered that but again, yes, it is too hard to impliment for mass production at this time.

Wyliee is right though; if you want to throw some money at this you can get it done. Email me at Warmoth and we'll get the wheels turning.

Here's an idea: talk warmoth into not cutting the fret slots, or at least not put the frets in, then radius the neck and fret it yourself.  Boom, problem solved :sign13: :icon_tongue:

I considered that and every other possible scheme. There's no way I'd want to fret a brand new neck with zero previous experience. Plus, sanding the radius flatter will mean the fret slots will be cut to a different radius so the frets wont seat properly. I've looked into getting a luthier to do this for me but the cost would add up to around $700.

meh

Back