EVH wolfgang build

Back.  Please note how the burst carefully covered the "opps" moment I had  :sad1:.  The sawed off butt of the guitar is no longer visible. :hello2:  I initially did not want to go that dark but it really turned out well.  I used a $15 touchup sprayer I got a harbor freight.  3oz lacquer, 1oz thinner, and 1/8th oz of StewMac tobacco brown.  It probably took 6-8 passes to build that color.  The front is flightly lighter with 3-5 passes.  I was really careful how much a was actually spraying.  Less was more in this care.  Tonar look out...I am getting good!!!! :laughing8:
51F21352-orig_zpscf418260.jpg

neck and covers.  I placed the cover in their slots while doing the burst so they would not stick out so much.
BE6DC6A8-orig_zpscbac4076.jpg

That looks really nice.  I'd actually go so far as to say you did a more consistent burst on the back - which does not detract from the front's awesomeness, you just did a smoother job on the back (according to the photos youposted, anyway).

Bagman67 said:
That looks really nice.  I'd actually go so far as to say you did a more consistent burst on the back - which does not detract from the front's awesomeness, you just did a smoother job on the back (according to the photos youposted, anyway).

It is really weird.  A lot of it is the angle.  The front is VERY light.  Look at both photos that the degree of "darkness" changes.  I will try to get some angles straight down. 

I only put the color on the top to highlight the sides and masked binding from both sides.  I had a hard time spraying it.  I had to constantly move it around and view it from different angles.  The photo was also taken in direct sunlight.  I initially thought the same thing as you to the point I ran out to the garage to touch up the low spots.  When I got there there were none. :doh:

Actually DMARCO, that is truly freakin' rad. i don't normally like bursts, especially over something as nice as that spalt. But that is crazy awesome, the burst is just perfect... :icon_thumright:
adore.gif

DMRACO said:
Altar said:
You accepting orders? :headbang1:

maybe I should with the out-cry to bring back with Warmoth VW.
I would have figured by now with Fender's acquisition of the Wolfie, that the "W" would be cranking them out. Unless of course you know who won't let that happen... :dontknow:

I am getting to the thinner coats of nitro.  I am going to let this set a few days since I sprayed fairly heavy today.  Sand out the imperfections with some 400 and then hit with the final coats.

Bagman, see from this angle how the burst evens out.

Doug...try not to love the guitar or the shirt too much.

CDC5E4D5-orig.jpg

That is really coming along nicely. Be sure you have enough clear on there to sand on. Hate like hell to sand through to the color coat at this stage.

I seriously love this spalt. You did a great job bursting there.
What brand of lacquer did you use for the burst?

Cagey said:
That is really coming along nicely. Be sure you have enough clear on there to sand on. Hate like hell to sand through to the color coat at this stage.

I think so.  One quart of nitro is GONE!!!!  I will say my mixture was a little off.  I think a lot of it went into the air.  My valve in the feeder was clogged and i was getting to much air.

I already hit a little light spot on the back.  VERY tiny.  I was able to make it invisible with some straight dye applied with a toothpick..... :icon_smile:

Fluxx said:
I seriously love this spalt. You did a great job bursting there.
What brand of lacquer did you use for the burst?

Behlens for the entire build.  I tinted it with StewMac ColorTone Liquid stain.  It can be used with water, alcohol, or lacquer.  Awesome stuff.  goes along way.  1/8th oz tinted 4oz lacquer (3oz lacquer/1oz thinner).

I used this to spray it.  Do not laught at the price.  It worked like a charm.
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/paint/adjustable-detail-spray-gun-92126.html

I've read good stuff about those Harbor Freight cheapy guns.  For the hobbyist who won't be doing hundreds of spray jobs, I think they might be just the ticket.  For the pro, maybe not so much. 

They gotta beat the hell out of rattle cans. If nothing else, it allows you to mix your paints to suit the situation.

I have two bodies that need finishing, and every hope of making a lifelong hobby of building and finishing guitars, and I am contemplating investing the 400-500 bucks for a good compressor and hoses and guns and moisture trap etc. etc. at Harbor Freight or Craigslist.  Of course I may wait until spring since the weather's changing and spraying nitro is unlikely to be feasible until then anyway.  And besides, that will give me time to build up some goodwill with Mrs. Bagman for such an outlay.  Or sell a few things to cover it.  And everyone knows a good compressor can do so much more than just atomize lacquer.  See how easy it is to rationalize tool purchases?

Back