EVH wolfgang build

dmraco

Master Member
After playing an EVH wolfgang, I decided I needed to have one.  However as usual, the finish combo I wanted was not available.  So I decided to make my own.

Knowing my limitations, I ordered a blank neck from Warmoth.  Standard thin, maple, ebony FB, and SS frets.  I will cut the shape and finish myself of course.  My fretwork would never be as good as Warmoth's.

I wanted the body to be Mahogany with a maple cap.  As I looked at Mahogany blanks, I was shocked at the prices.  $90-150 is what I was seeing.  I found cheaper but was questioning the quality.  For the same amount of $$, I ordered a blank from Warmoth, and had them route the pickups and bridge at no added cost to me!!  Scale will be 25.5...just like the EVH.

Once I get the body (just got the big brown shipping notice), I will have to cut the shape, route the controls, and take 1/4 off the top to make room for the maple top I want.  Here is the cap.  I just finished planing it down to 1/4 inch...spalted flame maple.

Attachments

• spalt.JPG
    749 KB · Views: 85
Perry Combover said:
What are you going to do for the finish?

Goint to leave the top natural.  Maybe a slight black burst highlight.  Maybe a trans black on the rest.

Death by Uberschall said:
Please try swapping the book match so the spalt is in the middle and see how it looks.  :icon_thumright:

I tried...it did not look as good.  I will post a photo.

That looks realllly awesome. I know what you mean about body blank prices, it is just ridiculous. Its just because they put the word "guitar body blank" with it, and then the price triples. I have found that if I do my shopping online, it is just easier to search for lumber that is the correct dimensions, and try and stay away from anything that qualifies it as guitar related.

Neck came today.  Standard thin, maple, pau ferro fretboard, SS frets.  I am most excited about the BLACK MOP inlay.  Very sexy.  I am going to try to plane down some excess some the maple to make a cap for the headstock.  I am curious to see how thin we can get it.

This is my 1st pau ferro fretboard and I am most pleased.  I cannot wait to string this up.

Attachments

• neck.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 54
Well, I was wondering about the black MOP, but I like it.  I have an idea for a replacement neck on an old guitar, that will have to be a part of it.  Looks very nice, can't wait to see the progress.
Patrick

here are some better photos of the black MOP.  Very nice.  It has hint of green, red, and grey.  Very different.  This would look killer in blocks.
70BC3CFA-orig.jpg

70BC3CFA-orig.jpg

IT has begun.  Headstock drawn.  The plans did not look right so I made some mods after pulling a headstock image off the net.  I am going to cut it a little larger and allow for sanding to create the final shape.

Question...with the angled head stock, what is the best method to cut this?  I am thinking I will be forced to used a hand saw.  Unless I draw this on the underside (no way that is happening) this will not work on my bandsaw.

Thought it will be time consuming, it may be the best way to go.  Those points may be delicate.

3677CB39-orig.jpg

evh-headstock.jpg

Best way is going to be to lay the face flat down and use you band saw. Get some tracing paper and trace the design you have on the front and transfer to the back. Wouldn't be that hard, and would be the best option. Hand saw would be the harder way.. :dontknow:

My favorite of the 3 generations is the Peavey headstock. It's essentially the same as the Fender EVH, just scooped instead of cut to line.
Wolfgang_Headstock_01.jpg

I've always liked the Wolfies, any make.  I've considered getting an Axis on multiple occasions.
I look forward to seeing more pics as you work on it!

AutoBat said:
My favorite of the 3 generations is the Peavey headstock. It's essentially the same as the Fender EVH, just scooped instead of cut to line.
Wolfgang_Headstock_01.jpg

I've always liked the Wolfies, any make.  I've considered getting an Axis on multiple occasions.
I look forward to seeing more pics as you work on it!
I too like that design better than most, even better than the EB design. But the peavey guitars were crap compared to the EB guitars. Can't say about the Fender ones, haven't got some digits on one yet..

I never liked the wolfgang body as much as the EB body... :dontknow:

I like the scallop too.  I may try to do that.  If it fails, I can just cut it off.

I new fender EVH models are really nice.  They feel so small when playing them.

It is a very comfy shape.

My next step is to find someone with a planer that can take .25 off this body to make room for the cap.

This is gonna be pretty awesome! That is a good looking neck!

Coincidentally, my very first commission is going to be an axis shaped guitar. Sort of EVH haha. As I was writing this I realized that you are probably talking about the much newer EVH shape  :doh:

I've played the newer ones; a stealth and the regular one.

Both are very well built instruments, the attention to detail is very high, especially the rolled edges on the fingerboard.  Much better than the Peavey, up ther with the QC from EBMM.

Death by Uberschall said:
Please try swapping the book match so the spalt is in the middle and see how it looks.  :icon_thumright:

I know you said you tried and it didn't look as good, but can we see it? I'm curious to note the difference.

The thing that always bugged me about the Wolfgang was the tiny little headstock ... but it just proves there's something for everyone. Not everybody loves the CBS, and I think it's the tits.

Back