EVH wolfgang build

I've got Mean 90s in my Hagstrom and I highly, highly recommend them. Amazing pickups, even without considering the price, which is simply mind-blowing.

GFS turns out some fantastic pickups. The only people I've ever heard say anything bad about them had never used them. They just didn't trust them on general principles because of the price and origin. That's fine. More for me.

I have a mean 90 and it is just fine.  Nothing amazing, nothing negative. 

I was considering the loadmouths or big mouths.  They just look cool.

some updates while the nitro is curing.  Pay no attention to the finish orange peel, it still needs sanded.  Here is some f the aged copper hardware.

D34E9BFF-orig.jpg

9B8C5B5F-orig.jpg

DMRACO said:
some updates while the nitro is curing.  Pay no attention to the finish orange peel, it still needs sanded.  Here is some f the aged copper hardware.

D34E9BFF-orig.jpg

9B8C5B5F-orig.jpg

Looking really good man. Was it a PITA to get a hold of Schaller's Vintage Copper? Hopefully it was easier than all the hoops
I had to jump through...

Hurry up and assemble that thing! Everyone knows patience doesn't help internet photos upload themselves!  :evil4:

ORC

Looks good Dave, just two things...

One: obviously something missing in this pick

Two: You should have wet sanded with the tru-oil a few times before final coat, would have filled in those pores in that mahogany.. :icon_thumright:
D34E9BFF-orig.jpg

Cagey said:
GFS turns out some fantastic pickups. The only people I've ever heard say anything bad about them had never used them. They just didn't trust them on general principles because of the price and origin. That's fine. More for me.

Interestingly enough, there is no GFS logo on top of the Tele Neck Pickup Cover, so there's nothing to give off any Psychological B.S. about them in advance.  A good sounding pickup is a good sounding pickup, regardless.  The blindfold test will dispell any prejudices every single time.
I've done it with pickups, modeling technology, etc...

Let the tone tell the story, either live in person or on a recording.

DangerousR6 said:

Two: You should have wet sanded with the tru-oil a few times before final coat, would have filled in those pores in that mahogany.. :icon_thumright:
D34E9BFF-orig.jpg

Doug...I am thinking about the plate.  I am not sure how the coating will react.  Do think it will flake?  I would hate to ruin the plate.  I had a hard time finding it.

The finish is nitro, not tru oil.  And those are not pores but really bad orange peel.  I used z-poxy to fill the pores.  It will be like glass when I sand.  It was sanded with 400 before the final coats are was almost perfect.

DMRACO said:
DangerousR6 said:

D34E9BFF-orig.jpg

Doug...I am thinking about the plate.  I am not sure how the coating will react.  Do think it will flake?  I would hate to ruin the plate.  I had a hard time finding it.

The finish is nitro, not tru oil.  And those are not pores but really bad orange peel.  I used z-poxy to fill the pores.  It will be like glass when I sand.  It was sanded with 400 before the final coats are was almost perfect.
Oh ya, my bad, I knew that... :doh: For some reason I had it in mind you used tru oil..

Not sure about the plate, I wouldn't want to ruin it.  I do have some brass, I could probably find some solid copper plate and relic it.

Did you shoot nitro* on top to let the epoxy breathe? Because I'm pretty sure the wood's pretty much all clogged shut for at least a few hundred years with that epoxy stuff. That's what it's for....

*(Oooh! I love to talk Macho! Oooh! Bad Boy.... :cool01:)

StubHead said:
Did you shoot nitro* on top to let the epoxy breathe? Because I'm pretty sure the wood's pretty much all clogged shut for at least a few hundred years with that epoxy stuff. That's what it's for....

*(Oooh! I love to talk Macho! Oooh! Bad Boy.... :cool01:)

The epoxy just filled the pores, and provided much needed strength to the Spalted maple on the top.  I used nitro for the finish because it is easy to apply and was very compatable  epoxy.

All I used on mine was just Loctite 2 ton epoxy, has no UV protectants in it so it naturally ambers. And polishes up nicely.. :icon_biggrin:

DangerousR6 said:
All I used on mine was just Loctite 2 ton epoxy, has no UV protectants in it so it naturally ambers. And polishes up nicely.. :icon_biggrin:

I thought of that...but needed the nitro for the burst.

I just ordered polishing pads from Stewmac...all the way up to 12000 grit.  It has been two weeks and no more nitro smell is coming from the body.  I am going to give it a few days for the pads to arrive.  Likely to start the final polish Monday.... :cool01:

DMRACO said:
man are my arms tired.

Tell me about it. I've been sanding/buffing my cranberry VIP on and off for the past few days by hand and I've developed a love/hate relationship with it. But, you have to admit, the results are very satisfying. Yours is looking fantastic, so play through the pain. You only have to do it once.

Cagey said:
DMRACO said:
man are my arms tired.

Tell me about it. I've been sanding/buffing my cranberry VIP on and off for the past few days by hand and I've developed a love/hate relationship with it. But, you have to admit, the results are very satisfying. Yours is looking fantastic, so play through the pain. You only have to do it once.

I guess it is a labor of love.  I still have some small imperfections on the back but I am not going to dwell on it.  After one month of playing it will all blend in.  I do however have a small area inside the lower horn that was not sanded/filled well.  Too late now.  I wish I would have seen if sooner.

The top is the most important and it turned out fantastic!!!

Back