EVH wolfgang build

coming together.  The fretboard goes well with the finish.
Antiqued copper really looks nice.  Sorry for the fingerprints
60FE7493-orig.jpg

F5BF785C-orig.jpg

i am considering using copper to make control cavity covers.  It will look cool and be the ultimate in shielding.

You're better off with shielded cabling everywhere. You'll need more than you think or that comes in any "wiring kit", so get a length like this...

WR-BRAID.jpg

It's $7.79 for 8 feet here. Or, if you anticipate building any more guitars, you might consider getting a 50' reel from StewMac. It's a better deal at $27.

For a guitar like your Wolfgang, I could see you using 3'-4' pretty easily.

Also, some bus wire is handy.

pRS1C-2264659w345.jpg

A little roll of that will last forever, and only costs $4-$5 at Radio Shack. It's very easy to solder to, since it's already tinned.

Finally, some ground lugs.

EP-4968-000.jpg

Don't wreck your pots. You can get them here, or PM me an address and I'll send you some.

I have wire and shielding.  The pot grounds interest me.  My guess is you attach the ground wire to the small hole, and thread the pot whole thing.  As long as it is touching, its grounded.  Right?

I only need two.  Can you send me some?  I will pay for them.

Right. You can see how I've used them in this thread. You need to bend up the pointy part of the lug so it doesn't lay flat on whatever you're mounting the pot to.

You can also see in those pics how much easier it is to connect some bus wire from the the connection point to the braided shield than it is to try and solder the shield itself to something.

Send me a PM with an address and I'll send you some lugs, no charge.

Is it not a pain to turn those tuning machines? Their positioning looks awkward, to me.

The guitar looks great, though. So amazed by scratch builds.

reluctant-builder said:
Is it not a pain to turn those tuning machines? Their positioning looks awkward, to me.

The guitar looks great, though. So amazed by scratch builds.

The EVH has some funny angles on the headstock.
On this one...notice the left is 90 degrees from the head.  The right is NOT
Wolfgang_Headstock_01.jpg

this is a little more different
evh-headstock.jpg

I must admit, I am at the mercy of the size of the pegs.  I used GROVER and the retaining screw is slightly off-set.  The one EVH uses are not and are slightly smaller.  Since the headstock was so small I had to rotate them a bit to get them to fit.  I would have got others but I was limited by the copper color.  To answer your question, it does not make it harder since they are angled toward me.

While I am waiting for parts, I started making some copper control covers.  Copper stock it hard to get.  A couple of hours ago this was a 3 inch copper tube.  they are still VERY rough:
07F3F50F-orig.jpg

Actually the headstocks are virtually the same, I overlaid them..
wolfiehead.jpg

And if these are the angles you're referring to, they aren't 90 deg... :dontknow:

DangerousR6 said:
Actually the headstocks are virtually the same, I overlaid them..
wolfiehead.jpg

And if these are the angles you're referring to, they aren't 90 deg... :dontknow:

Doug...thanks...I was referring to the angles of the tuners to the sides of the headstock.  I think this illustrated it best

EVHWGSP-TB_headstock-back.jpg

Maybe it is the old Ernie Ball headstock i was thinking of...with the 4x2....anyhow...I am searching for smaller pegs but I kinda like the current tilt I have going on...

EP-4968-000.jpg

It's the same principle, but I use crimp on lugs instead.  They are more readily available and muliple wires can go in each one, along with one end of a capacitor.  After crimping, I heat up the crimped portion with the soldering iron until I see the oil residue fade away in an instant.  At this point, hit it with the solder and it sucks it right up in there.  You get a nice shiny solder joint, and all you of your grounds are in one location.  I also connect all the pots with a continous piece of metal between the pot and pickguard/body.  It makes it necessary to only hit one pot with the lug instead of each one.

Here's one on a previous build.  You can see the metal between the pot and body, and this lug with go under one of the pots.

021-2.jpg

Well, aside from the fingerprints...what else looks wrong with this photo??
DSC02050.jpg

Floyd Rose sent me a damn lefty arm......I have sent them an e-mail and I will call on Monday...I hope this is not an issue because of the color.

DMRACO said:

Well, the lighting is poor so you got low contrast and I'm sure the color is off. There's no LOLcat making smart remarks. The guitar itself is missing pots, and has a lotta swirl marks in the finish. Oh, and it has a lefty wang bar...

Cagey said:
DMRACO said:

There's no LOLcat making smart remarks. and has a lotta swirl marks in the finish.

Those were bothering me too.... :toothy10: 
Since I am off work today because of Hurricaine Sandy, I plan on addressing those.  I used a micro fiber cloth to polish.  I am not sure why there are there.  I used the same polish I alway use.  I need to find a better cloth.  I plan on having it all shined up for a few GOTM photos. :icon_biggrin:

Back