9.5"-14" or 10"-16"? Which compound radius would you recommend?

I flip flop between 12” and 14” depending on my mood when I’m ordering.

My guitars range from 9.5", 12", 12.5", 9.5-14" compound, and 10-16" compound. I am comfortable with all of them.
My 2 Warmoth Strats have a straight 12". My 2 Soloist Warmoths have 10-16" and 9.5-14", and my Warmoth Tele has a 10-16".
I however cannot stand a 7.25" fretboard radius.

It is essential that a progressive radius (wrongly called compound) is maintained, leading to a flatter radius at the bridge, being not just allowed but required for proper set up.

Ergo, a 9.5-14" radius would need about a 16" radius at the bridge. A 10–16" neck would need somewhere around an 18" radius at the bridge.
So why is this "wrongly" called a compound radius when that's the only term I've ever seen applied, it is used as the standard terminology in the industry, and it follows one of the multiple meanings of the word "compound?"

So why is this "wrongly" called a compound radius when that's the only term I've ever seen applied, it is used as the standard terminology in the industry, and it follows one of the multiple meanings of the word "compound?"

Just because a term is in general usage or the only term you have seen does not mean that it is technically or mathematically correct. Progressive was coined as a better term by @Cagey back in 2017. The use of compound has led to people thinking that there are several radii that have transition points, which a neck does not.

What are described as a "compound radius or radii" neck actually progresses and the radii are progressive cross-sections of a truncated cone. A straight radius is a cross-section of a cylinder. A compound of two or more elements or radii would have transitions from one to the other.

Here's a sketch for ya.

1709281778670.png

Here are a couple of threads where this was discussed at length, and more explanation there are many others.

Last edited:
Tremolo is the variation of amplitude. Vibrato is the variation of pitch.
Don’t believe me? Don’t’ believe other forums? Why not go ask a pro orchestra player or conductor. Hell even get on your bike and head to the library and crack open a book.

Last edited by a moderator:
There ARE tremolos between melodic notes, i.e. not just repeating one pitch. It's encountered often in piano music, among other kinds.

EDIT: Added a concise video demonstrating and explaining common piano tremolos.

Piano Tremolo

Last edited:
Tremolo IS NOT the variation of pitch and never has been. It is the variation of amplitude.
Leo Fender incorrectly called his vibrato bridge a "tremolo", and here 70 years later, people (including FMIC) are still incorrectly referring to is as a tremolo bridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back