24 3/4 conversion strat take two

I kind of like the honeycombing. I'm not a big fan of clear pickguard over the wiring guts but if it were still neat - clear over honeycombed body would be kinda cool.

BigSteve22 said:
Crazy? More like BRILLIANT!  :icon_scratch:

No crazy like going through all this effort and not liking the humbucker "single coil" sound in the end.  :tard:

swarfrat said:
I kind of like the honeycombing. I'm not a big fan of clear pickguard over the wiring guts but if it were still neat - clear over honeycombed body would be kinda cool.

I didn't know weight reduction was art  :laughing3: :laughing3: But I did lose 8oz  :toothy10:

If you got 8oz from just that ... maybe I  should think about it on this Plutonium Telecaster body that just arrived on my doorstep. (Northern ash. The heavy stuff. Beautiful body. But you could hurt somebody with it.). I'm wondering if I can train some termites to hollow it out or something.

swarfrat said:
If you got 8oz from just that ...
But wait, there's more!!  :laughing11: Also drilled out 2 bores in the neck pocket, and 4 where the trem block lies. Very wormy, big worms!  :laughing7:

Norther ash, I feel your pain, and it's where the shoulder strap is :icon_biggrin:

I'm gonna first try out the noise cancel circuit on a s-s-s strat, simpler wiring and I already installed the nc pickup in it. It'll be a test bed, most likely the circuit need tweaking.

swarfrat said:
If you got 8oz from just that ... maybe I  should think about it on this Plutonium Telecaster body that just arrived on my doorstep. (Northern ash. The heavy stuff. Beautiful body. But you could hurt somebody with it.). I'm wondering if I can train some termites to hollow it out or something.

I believe what you're after is the Emerald Ash Borer.

fuzznut said:
I'm gonna first try out the noise cancel circuit on a s-s-s strat, simpler wiring and I already installed the nc pickup in it. It'll be a test bed, most likely the circuit need tweaking.
I'll be very interested to hear how your test wiring goes. I see that the middle pup is RWRP, but the dummy winding direction does not switch when it's active. Might that not increase noise by feeding an inverse signal into an inverter? I believe that will reinforce rather than cancel, no? Also, what op-amp are you planning on using?

I played with a dummy coil on my JZ, without much sucess. Ended up buying an EHX Hum-Debugger pedal, which works wonderfully. I wish you all the best with this, keep us posted!  :headbang:

BigSteve22 said:
I'll be very interested to hear how your test wiring goes. I see that the middle pup is RWRP, but the dummy winding direction does not switch when it's active. Might that not increase noise by feeding an inverse signal into an inverter? I believe that will reinforce rather than cancel, no?

If you look at switch 1B, the dummy gets taken out of the circuit in positions 2 & 4 by grounding it.

Also, what op-amp are you planning on using?

Probably a TLO62 for its low 200uA power drain, but they'e kinda noisy so, if I find that objectionable, a TLO72 or something else.

I played with a dummy coil on my JZ, without much sucess. Ended up buying an EHX Hum-Debugger pedal, which works wonderfully. I wish you all the best with this, keep us posted!  :headbang:
:icon_thumright:

Oh now I get what you were saying about the RWRP, time to redesign lol  :tard: :laughing3:

i designed but didnt build a circuit that was just the ticket. Dummy coil buffered and inverted. Each pickup had a balance pot you blend from -1.5 hum to +1.5 hum, which drove the ground of each pickup. you had enough gain to work with, and since the hum signal is low impedance it doesnt impact the LCR of the passive single coil it feeds.

swarfrat said:
i designed but didnt build a circuit that was just the ticket. Dummy coil buffered and inverted. Each pickup had a balance pot you blend from -1.5 hum to +1.5 hum, which drove the ground of each pickup. you had enough gain to work with, and since the hum signal is low impedance it doesnt impact the LCR of the passive single coil it feeds.

I built a circuit like that, taken from a patent, couldn't get it to eliminate all the hum and florescent light noise, reduced, but not eliminated. And another circuit, from another patent, that utilized high impedence injection of the cancel voltage into the signal. Same results. Even made some "Ilitch" coils like the pic, same results. All of these attempting to preserve the "passiveness" of the guitar, but fall short of 100%. The circuit I have, yeah it's active, but I breadboarded it last winter and it killed the hum 99.9%.

Whaddya think? Should I enter this in August's GOTM???  :icon_biggrin: :laughing11: :laughing3: :laughing7: :laughing11: :laughing3: :headbang1:

OK I finally got around to wet sanding the body, up to 2k grit. Now what? I'm open to suggestions on how to polish it out. I don't have a buffing tool, and don't feel like buying one, so I will hand polish it. Probably safer that way for me.  :glasses10:  What to use? I have some 3M rubbing compound, but I think that's too coarse at this point. 3M polishing compound? I have a bottle of Meguiar's swirl remover, but that's for later down the road.

Smear peanut butter on it and let the dog lick it for couple hours.

If you don't have a dog, then I'd recommend a bottle medium and fine rubbing compound such as these. Finish that up with the swirl remover you already have, then maybe some Mequires polish.

Be sure to keep your application cloths separate.

It'll take you forever by hand, but it'll work.

I got 2 dogs, one could lick polish it, and the other, who likes to chew on wood table corners, could "relic" it. :laughing8: :laughing11:

Back