what's for dinner at your place

Well tonight being Thursday, its our weekly Thursday Night Dinner where we have 4 other people over for dinner.  We do it every Thursday for the past 3 years.  They bring the wine, we make the food.  I'm a discriminating eater (read: picky and quality conscious) so I don't trust any of these people to cook for me.  So I do the cooking and get a little buzzed on their wine.

Tonight was a specialty I call Chillis Bryanos. (I'm Bryan in real life away from the forum.)  Its basically Chilli Rellenos, but with my twist.  To make it a bit more healthy, instead of frying the poblano peppers, I first roast them on an open flame, and peel the skin as you would making roasted peppers.  I stuff them with cheese and fingerling potatoes (a trick taught to me by a friend from Mexico City.)  I then bake the stuffed peppers in a tomato sauce spiced with cumin, garlic, onion, ancho chilli powder and more chillis.  It comes out delicious.  Oh yeah, also made a salad with avacados and an avacado based dressing, beans and rice, and some cheese quesedillas with fresh tortillas made down the street.  So delicious. 

And since I can't sleep these days I also simultaneously made a simple vegetarian bean soup.  (I'm not vegetarian but my significant other is, so I cook that way often.)  Its basically mixed dried beans, a whole head of garlic, a yellow onion, celery, several carrots, and sage, oregano and rosemary from my garden.

Its been simmering for awhile, and I'm getting ready for bed.  I think I'm going to Yogi Bear it and put it out on the back porch to chill overnight so it doesn't warm up everything in my fridge. 

Good eating tomorrow.  If anyone is near Pittsburgh, I have plenty to share.  Bring your guitars and I'll supply the food.

Sounds delicious! I've roasted peppers many times to use in various ways, but I never thought to leave them whole for stuffing. Seems like they'd be too fragile for that once you removed the skin. But, there's usually some amount of rice involved with the stuffings I've made, while you're talking about potatoes and cheese, which wouldn't expand and risk tearing things up like rice does. Interesting idea.

Incidentally, if you can't sleep, consider the idea that you don't need to. Most people want/need 7-8 hours a night, but that's not a universal requirement. I rarely sleep more than 5 hours out of 24, and that usually in two shifts. I used to fight it, and have had wives, girlfriends and roommates rag on me for being a "night owl" because I'd inadvertently interrupt their sleep patterns. One buddy used to call me a "walking sleep deprivation experiment" <grin> Anyway, I'd end up tired and cranky and out-of-sorts all the time from trying to follow a schedule my body just didn't want/need.

So, don't fight it. If you can't sleep, don't worry about it. Get up and do something. Trust me; when you need to sleep, you will, and you'll sleep the sleep of the dead. Won't matter if there's noise, light, etc. When you wake up, call it good and get on with your life. It's too short to waste a third of it unconscious.

Yes, Cagey, the peppers are very fragile doing it this way.  I tore a few of them, rendering them useless to stuff, but they still make good eating on their own. 

If I'm lazy I'll skip the roasting part and just use fresh peppers.  Its almost as good, but the skins can be a little tough, but still very edible.  The fire roasting does add a nice bit of flavor, but either way it comes out delicious.

Its basically just Mexican style stuffed peppers.

Nightclub Dwight said:
Yes, Cagey, the peppers are very fragile doing it this way.  I tore a few of them, rendering them useless to stuff, but they still make good eating on their own. 

If I'm lazy I'll skip the roasting part and just use fresh peppers.  Its almost as good, but the skins can be a little tough, but still very edible.  The fire roasting does add a nice bit of flavor, but either way it comes out delicious.

I haven't stuffed roasted peppers because of their fragility in my hands but I do stuff poblanos with quinoa pilaf (recipe in The Wine and Food Lover's Diet) and it is great roasted already stuffed. Having it tonight.

PT said:
Nightclub Dwight said:

I haven't stuffed roasted peppers because of their fragility in my hands but I do stuff poblanos with quinoa pilaf (recipe in The Wine and Food Lover's Diet) and it is great roasted already stuffed. Having it tonight.

Do you roast them dry, or any liquid in the pan?  I love quinoa, and its so good for you.  I'll try this.  And yes, its a major pain to deal with the pre-roasted peppers the way I do it.  I only do it because I have lots of time on my hands.  Your way sounds much easier. 

I just spray them with olive oil from this cool little atomizer (if that's the correct term) and then sprinkle some kosher salt and roast them in a roasting pan at about 325-350 for 20-30 minutes. You could put a light layer of chicken broth on the bottom if you wish. I'll often finish it on broil for a touch of char on the top for the flavor you talked about.
Pair it with a piece of fish and a New Zealand Sav Blanc and need I say more....

I did a version of the stuffed peppers, but after raosting them I slit them and used them to cover a casole made of cheese enchilads cut in thirds on top of an egg/carnitas mix, then cover with cheese and pop into the oven.
Goes great with Magis and a heart of romaine salad, grilled with a avacado/jalepeno dressing based in yogurt.

Thought I'd add my $0.02 of food bliss to the thread.

My family belongs to a local farm co-op.  It's an organic farm and every Friday we go over and pick up our share of what they picked that week.  On Sunday nights we prepare meals for most of the week so it is easier to dine and dash from our house.  (Just pull a meal out of the fridge.)  Here's what we've cooked up so far.  (Seriously, this takes the better part of the evening, but we eat better and go out less.)

Grilled chicken (plain), grilled chicken (marinated in homemade tomatillo sauce), marinated flank steak, bratwurst, schnitzel, buffalo wings
Portugese sausage soup, chicken & white bean chili, chicken enchiladas (with the tomatillo sauce)
Roasted corn and green beans (on the grill), salads with fresh veggies
Homemade truffles (for the neighborhood exchange of sweets - a Halloween seasonal tradition)
Sausage / egg breakfasts for the week.

The tricky part is getting all of the containers to fit in the fridge.  I need to get another fridge! 

Teriyaki grilled salmon and fresh wax beans and rice.  The kids dig it.

I picked up a whole pork loin on sale today that I'm planning on making a giant pot of chile verde out of.  Woohoo!  Kids dig that too.

Bagman

Home made beef stew, a HUGE pot I might add, cooked in a giant pressure cooker. Stew meat, stewed tomatoes, corn, carrots, peas, onions, potatoes, rotel tomatoes. Enuff to feed about 5 people for 3-4 days....Should last me most of the week....Oh and plenty of crackers.... :laughing7:

I made a bunch of Scotch eggs for my kids school picnic yesterday/
unfortunately most of their parents turned out to be from India and/or the middle east, so they said they were not allowed to eat it, so now my coworkers are eating them..
68315_494945662176_648087176_7377825_8127724_n.jpg

Marko said:
I made a bunch of Scotch eggs for my kids school picnic yesterday/
unfortunately most of their parents turned out to be from India and/or the middle east, so they said they were not allowed to eat it, so now my coworkers are eating them..
68315_494945662176_648087176_7377825_8127724_n.jpg
Freeze some and ship em to me! Look great.

A giant chunk of pig from a local butcher.  I'm not allowed to know how it was glazed, I'm told.  I think I put on several pounds last night.

-Mark

Back