What colors, paint schemes would you like to see offered by Warmoth

I wouldn't mind that silverburst, if the black was a bit more transparent, and the silver was metal flake silver.  Then I could have a Rocket from the Crypt Les Paul.  That is somewhere on the list...  Sheesh,  need to stop getting all of the ideas.
Patrick

I found another shot of that fiddle in process...

IMG_0238SM.JPG

Has an Ebony over Maple neck with SS 6100s on it. First stainless frets I ever played. Agonized over having those installed, but they just blew me away. Never looked back.

Pickups are a Seymour Hot Rails in the bridge spot, and an Area 61 and Area 57 in the other two. 

Cagey said:
I found another shot of that fiddle in process...

IMG_0238SM.JPG

Has an Ebony over Maple neck with SS 6100s on it. First stainless frets I ever played. Agonized over having those installed, but they just blew me away. Never looked back.

Pickups are a Seymour Hot Rails in the bridge spot, and an Area 61 and Area 57 in the other two.

That guitar looks so good I can't find the words to describe it.

How does that pickup combination sound? I have a headless guitar with a similar setup - Duncan Hot Rails bridge, Area 61 and another DiMarzio that I can't remember at the moment.

Patriot54 said:

How does that pickup combination sound? I have a headless guitar with a similar setup - Duncan Hot Rails bridge, Area 61 and another DiMarzio that I can't remember at the moment.

Thank you for the kind words. It's my first Warmoth, first chambered body, first stainless frets, 783rd goofy wiring job...

The pickups sound good in isolation, but the 2 and 4 positions sound... awful. No other way to put it. But, that's almost certainly my fault. I got it in my head I didn't want to mix two humbuckers, so I thought I'd take one coil from one pickup and one from the other and connect them so it'd still be hum-canceling. Did all the research to find the start/finish windings and magnet polarity so it would work that way, and... kukka. The two position is part bridge/part middle but noiseless, and the the four position is part middle and part neck but noiseless. They're noiseless alright, but they don't sound good at all. Useless, really. Noiseless single coil-style replacements aren't meant to have their coils separated and/or reapplied differently. They're a coherent unit and meant to be used that way. I don't know why they bother to bring the individual coil connections out. Should just put a single conductor shielded cable on there and call it a love story.

Of course, there's no accounting for taste. Buddy of mine thinks this is the best guitar in my stable. Maybe I'll leave it to him in my will.

Jumble Jumble said:
Wait, what's going on with that masked binding? Is it red?

Yes. It appears that they dyed the top before masking it to shoot the black, so you end up with matching "binding". It's pretty attractive, I think. Don't know why you don't see it more often.

Fantastic. That should be available as a matter of course; you could have some really beautiful effects. Imagine a blue burst, but after the center is shot they mask off some binding before doing the burst. So you'd get a turquoise line round the outside.

I think it's always available, but you have to ask for it; there's no way to select it during configuration. Doesn't really change the amount of work they have to do, just the order they do it in. Mine was that way in the Showcase, so I don't know for certain. But, I have seen others.

Cagey said:
Noiseless single coil-style replacements aren't meant to have their coils separated and/or reapplied differently. They're a coherent unit and meant to be used that way. I don't know why they bother to bring the individual coil connections out. Should just put a single conductor shielded cable on there and call it a love story.
I've actually gone the other way. Fender Vintage Noiseless Telecaster pickup only has your basic ground and output wires; I opened it up and fiddled about with it and hacked in 4-way wiring so I can flick it between regular hum-cancelling, series hum-cancelling, split to the main coil and series without hum-cancelling. Far more useful to me than your typical muddy Esquire selections.

If it works for you, that's great. As I mentioned, one of my buddies thinks mine sounds great, too. Myself, I'm less than thrilled. So, it's on my to-do list to tear apart and re-wire. It's pretty far down the list, though, since it's not completely useless as it sits.

Cagey said:
Patriot54 said:

Thank you for the kind words. It's my first Warmoth, first chambered body, first stainless frets, 783rd goofy wiring job...

The pickups sound good in isolation, but the 2 and 4 positions sound... awful. No other way to put it. But, that's almost certainly my fault. I got it in my head I didn't want to mix two humbuckers, so I thought I'd take one coil from one pickup and one from the other and connect them so it'd still be hum-canceling. Did all the research to find the start/finish windings and magnet polarity so it would work that way, and... kukka. The two position is part bridge/part middle but noiseless, and the the four position is part middle and part neck but noiseless. They're noiseless alright, but they don't sound good at all. Useless, really. Noiseless single coil-style replacements aren't meant to have their coils separated and/or reapplied differently. They're a coherent unit and meant to be used that way. I don't know why they bother to bring the individual coil connections out. Should just put a single conductor shielded cable on there and call it a love story.

Of course, there's no accounting for taste. Buddy of mine thinks this is the best guitar in my stable. Maybe I'll leave it to him in my will.
I've got a strat with Duncan Stack Plus pickups in it. They don't do four-conductor wiring, but they do bring out a single wire that you can ground to kill the bottom coil. I've got a super switch grounding those wires in the 2 and 4 positions, it's noiseless, and it sounds like in betweeny Strat positions. Probably exactly what it would have sounded like if I just didn't do the auto split.

The one place it really did come in handy was for the bridge+mid position. The guitar has a full humbucker at the bridge. I split that humbucker to the coil that cancels with the top coil of the middle pickup, which gives me a noiseless two single coil sound in that position instead of a series humbucker in parallel with a single coil. The coils are a bit mismatched though, so it's not completely noiseless. Works though.

FWIW...I really like the Aspen Green color that Gretsch has started using.

Attachments

• GretschAspenGreen.jpg
    GretschAspenGreen.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 297
I'd like to see more colors offered in satin and stained bodies with no poly top coat so you can feel the grain but with a lacquer top coat to protect the stain and give a natural feeling.

Attachments

• Fender Mahogany Stained P Bass.jpg
    Fender Mahogany Stained P Bass.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 515
Kostas said:
I'd like to see more colors offered in satin and stained bodies with no poly top coat so you can feel the grain but with a lacquer top coat to protect the stain and give a natural feeling.

Hi! I'm the forum curmudgeon. While I'm supposed to keep my mouth shut, sometimes I can't help myself.

I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting for that suggestion to get any serious consideration; I'd likely suffocate. It sounds like a warranty nightmare waiting to happen. Satin finishes don't stay satin for long, and unfilled grain is the unmistakable mark of a cheap instrument as good finishes are not easy. Gibson can afford the millions of dollars it costs to convince people that poor finishes are desirable, but nobody else can (or is willing to).

As things stand, you can buy unfinished bodies and necks. It's remarkably easy, and almost the norm to put a crummy finish on them if that's what you want. But, Warmoth is known for their premium parts and finishes, and that's what people pay for. People who want bodies and necks that looked like they were finished in some teenager's parent's basement don't buy Warmoth parts.

So, if you want a crummy finish, buy something raw and ruin it yourself. Warmoth is all about choice

Cagey said:
...I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting for that suggestion to get any serious consideration...
Neither am I.

Cagey said:
... and unfilled grain is the unmistakable mark of a cheap instrument as good finishes are not easy... People who want bodies and necks that looked like they were finished in some teenager's parent's basement don't buy Warmoth parts.

So, if you want a crummy finish, buy something raw and ruin it yourself...
:doh:                                                                                                 

Cagey said:
...I'm supposed to keep my mouth shut...
:icon_thumright:

All that said, you can always do a Tru-Oil (or similar) finish to achieve what you're asking for. Without a great deal of work, it will end up as something of a satin finish, and the grain will still be tactile. Plus, it's not very robust so it will stain/mar/wear quickly and look like death in fairly short order. Finally, it's relatively inexpensive and easy enough to do in your living room; no overspray or VOCs to worry about. It's also repairable, which can't be said about polyurethane finishes.

Back