Warmoth Peel n Play Giveaway - Enter Now!

swarfrat said:
results are incomplete. What about all the filler questions that didn't fit into the bracket?

I thought you would never ask:

John: 1012
Paul: 1934
George: 424
Ringo: 176
I have no idea what band you're talking about: 111

Jimmy: 2421
Robert: 666
JPJ: 345
Bonham: 799
I have no idea what band you're talking about: 161

My personal votes went to Paul and Bonham.

Definitely agree on Bonham, but .. this is a guitar parts website, whatdya expect?  On a similar note - if you start taking apart AC/DC you begin to notice - the guitar parts are cool, don't get me wrong. Phil and Cliff make it work. On You Shook Me in particular, the guitar rides on that drum beat.  I think many many people would be able to recognize that song just by the isolated drum groove.

swarfrat said:
Definitely agree on Bonham, but .. this is a guitar parts website, whatdya expect?  On a similar note - if you start taking apart AC/DC you begin to notice - the guitar parts are cool, don't get me wrong. Phil and Cliff make it work. On You Shook Me in particular, the guitar rides on that drum beat.  I think many many people would be able to recognize that song just by the isolated drum groove.

Agreed about AC/DC. It's the rhythm section (Malcolm included) that make that band.

There is no drummer whose isolated tracks I would rather listen to than Bonham. Swing, groove, dynamics (well....loud and medium loud!  :icon_biggrin: )

Stones vs Zep.  It will be an epic talent show in the parking lot of Warmoth.  Snacks yet to be determined.  When each band has concluded its performance of the best song in its repertoire emcee The Aaron will get both bands on stage, step behind them and then he will raise his hand, asking the audience to applaud the loudest for the one they like the most.

My votes went to Led Zeppelin and Jimmy.

The vote for Jimmy was because he was the brain behind putting Led Zeppelin together, financed the 1st album and producer etc not because he was the guitarist, although his playing and songwriting were equally strong. For the rest, the band was the sum of its parts where each contributed to the whole but without Jimmy, it would never have happened.

stratamania said:
... although his playing and songwriting were equally strong.

Sorry man, but I can't let that slide.  Jimmy and co. ripped off a lot of people over the years and didn't give them credit until the artists came after him.  Here's some examples:

Dazed and Confused:  Jake Holmes - Dazed and Confused
Boogie With Stu: Ritchie Valens - Ooh! My Head
Babe, I'm gonna leave you:  Anne Bredon - Babe, I'm gonna leave you
Whole lotta love:  Willie Dixon - You need love
Bron-Y-Aur Stomp: Bert Jansch - The Waggoner’s Lad
The lemon song: Howlin' Wolf - Killing floor
Since I've Been Loving You: Moby Grape - Never

There's more - just gotta listen. He also claimed to have performed the solo on the Kink's "You really got me", which Dave and Ray heartily dispute.  It's just not cool.

Even if the Stones' entire back catalogue was just Gimme Shelter 12 times on every record I'd be voting for them in the next round.

Mayfly said:
stratamania said:

Sorry man, but I can't let that slide.  Jimmy and co. ripped off a lot of people over the years and didn't give them credit until the artists came after him.  Here's some examples:

There's more - just gotta listen. He also claimed to have performed the solo on the Kink's "You really got me", which Dave and Ray heartily dispute.  It's just not cool.

He also completely ripped Janch's arrangement of the traditional song Blackwaterside and changed the name to Black Mountain Side-- almost verbatim. I mean it is the same tune with nearly the exact same arrangement (just added tablas), but to add insult to injury gave himself WRITING credit.

He did the same for Davy Graham's arrangement of She Moved Through the Fair when he was in the Yardbirds and called it White Summer. Also gave himself writing credit.

I think bands and artists doing covers is awesome, but you cannot take writing credit. That's just so wrong.

Mayfly said:
stratamania said:

Lots of tunes at that time were regurgitations of something else. I don't think it is cool when things are not credited or referenced. There are probably way more examples in rock in general not done by Led Zeppelin that was borrowed by others etc.

Whether something is called inspired by, arranged by, stolen, regurgitated it doesn't change the fact those tunes became far better in my opinion.

Regardless of the above, the overall studio work of Led Zeppelin can not be dismissed as it does represent strong songwriting, production and arranging.

With regard to the Kinks solo, I doubt the disputers could have played it but what does someone like Page stand to gain by saying he played it if he did not. He has enough money and is well known for what he did accomplish so has nothing to gain from making a false assertion. Certainly he played on numerous sessions so it is totally plausible that he did play it.

All art, including music, is a ripoff of something else. It's an evolution. Even revolutionary things are built on the past and are not created from scratch. 

Bottom line is when I go out, I never get asked to play a Led Zep tune.  Never happened. 

There is a significant difference between an influenced regurgitation and the wholesale theft that Page and Zep was doing.
I mean with the Jansch and Graham rip offs he took writing credit when it was clear that he was pinching someone else's arrangement (Graham and Jansch didn't take wring credit for them, they were well known traditional tunes).
The Stones were treading in the same waters as Zeppelin for the most part, but NEVER took credit for writing thinks that were done by others. They ALWAYS gave proper credit to the blues guys when they did a blues tune.

You know if the correct band won, Pink Floyd, we wouldn’t be having this mindless discussion  :icon_tongue:

Pink Floyd? Surely you meant to say Rush?

[youtube]https://youtu.be/1eSlvoO3Vw8[/youtube]

The entry period for our final Warmoth Peel n Play Giveaway begins now! Don't miss your last chance to win one of these Strat® replacement bodies! Hurry...entry period ends Friday Oct 25th at midnight. Click here to enter the Warmoth Peel n Play Giveaway.

73364320_10159214457048289_7286058589100179456_n.jpg

Back