Warmoth Jam #2

Doughboy

Here is the next Warmoth Jam Track. It's pretty straight forward & in E minor.

It's Bass, Drums, Keys. I didn't put any guitars on there so there would be no frequency clashes with the solos.

You can play a variety of styles over it & it will work: Rock, Blues, Metal, Jazz, Fusion etc

Each soloist gets 24bars.

I did a 48 bar version, as we don't know how many soloists we'll have. Once the deadline is over & we know the count, I'll make one that is the proper length & hopefully Steve Karl can work his editing magic like before.

Please post 2 versions of your solo. One with no backing track & one with the backing track. Please label the files so they include your name ie: Doughboy's solo - Doughboy's solo with backing track.

Here are the chords just incase you need them, but it's basically E Dorian all the way through or you can use D Pentatonic or a B Minor scale.

Em  /  G  / Em  /  A7  B7

Em  /  Em  / G  A7  /  G  Em

Good luck everyone & let's try to double our soloist count & let's have more bass players involved too.

Deadline July 15th.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zmyzzznzomj

Well my five string will be done by sunday, pity im not that good or else id try recording something, no  matter ill still try.

BigBeard said:
I wish I knew how to record myself digitally

You can get a lot of free recording programs like Reaper online or buy a super cheap one like Guitar Tracks Pro 3 & start recording right away. All you need is to import the Jam track into the recording program & then get an adaptor for your mic to go into your sound card & you're set.

Programs like Guitar Tracks Pro 3 come with amp modulator software built in so you don't even need a mic. That's what I used to record my track for the Blues Jam.

Doughboy said:
BigBeard said:

You can get a lot of free recording programs like Reaper online or buy a super cheap one like Guitar Tracks Pro 3 & start recording right away. All you need is to import the Jam track into the recording program & then get an adaptor for your mic to go into your sound card & you're set.

Programs like Guitar Tracks Pro 3 come with amp modulator software built in so you don't even need a mic. That's what I used to record my track for the Blues Jam.

I'm gonna check out some of the free stuff and see what I can find....  I love playing in Em

BigBeard said:
Doughboy said:
BigBeard said:

I'm gonna check out some of the free stuff and see what I can find....  I love playing in Em

Reaper is free but a bit of a pain to work. Guitat Tracks Pro 3 is made for the guitarist & is dead simple to operate & comes with a built in amp, so no mic is needed. It only $30 or less to buy now since it's been replaced by a a newer version.

Em is a great key to solo in & the 2nd saddest of all keys next to Dm.  :laughing7:

I see one problem with this track - since it's not loopable and has an ending it make me want to kind of get to an ending where that nice little ending part is. I'm not sure if it will work as a continuous piece...

one other thing I've noticed is E Dorian sounds really nice over this. If you're not familiar with modes, just trying playing B minor or D major over it. It's very close to E Minor - just one note difference.

Also A7 and B7 aren't in the key of E minor. Maybe you meant Am7 and Bm7?  Or maybe A7 and Bm7?

GoDrex said:
I see one problem with this track - since it's not loopable and has an ending it make me want to kind of get to an ending where that nice little ending part is. I'm not sure if it will work as a continuous piece...

one other thing I've noticed is E Dorian sounds really nice over this. If you're not familiar with modes, just trying playing B minor or D major over it. It's very close to E Minor - just one note difference.

Also A7 and B7 aren't in the key of E minor. Maybe you meant Amin7 and Bmin7?

Yes, Dorian works better, but I didn't want to scare off or confuse anyone. So for those not familiar with the Dorian mode, you can play D pentatonic or a B minor scale.

As for the ending, it's just something I put ifor now. Since the solos are 24 bars, you'd record your solo using the 1st 24 bars & the rest would be empty. I didn't think it was a good idea to upload a giant 240 bar track now since we don't know how many soloists we will get & larger tracks are a pain to download.

I did try using Am7 & Bm7 but like the funkier more open sound of a 7th chord better.

I really like this jam. Hopefully my work schedule allows and I can get something down for this.

Doughboy said:
Yes, Dorian works better, but I didn't want to scare off or confuse anyone. So for those not familiar with the Dorian mode, you can play D pentatonic or a B minor scale.

As for the ending, it's just something I put ifor now. Since the solos are 24 bars, you'd record your solo using the 1st 24 bars & the rest would be empty. I didn't think it was a good idea to upload a giant 240 bar track now since we don't know how many soloists we will get & larger tracks are a pain to download.

well it's not necessarily better it's just different. Seems like both work well, the more I mess around with it.

OK - I understand better now. I'm glad I don't need to solo for 2 minutes straight hehehe :laughing7:

EDIT - wait so how many times through the progression are we doing? 3?

Everyone gets a 24 bar solo just like the Blues Jam.

I did a 48 bar one so people could solo over it for practice without having to restart it every 24 bars.

Basically, you'd record your solo after the 2 bar count in for 24 bars.

Doughboy said:
Everyone gets a 24 bar solo just like the Blues Jam.

I did a 48 bar one so people could solo over it for practice without having to restart it every 24 bars.

Basically, you'd record your solo after the 2 bar count in for 24 bars.

24 bars is 3 times through the chord progression right?

I feel like there's too much going on in this progression for me to get a nice handle on it. Like it takes too long to repeat or something. I'll keep trying but I'm not really feeling it. :icon_scratch:

Are we ok cutting mine after the first 24 or do I have to redo ?. I counted and I'm pretty sure it would be a dead easy cut.

24 bars is half the track, as the track is 48 bars long?

Would it be easier if I posted teh track as only 24 bars?

I did a longer version since it would give more room for people to solo over intially & get a feel for the track.

Panthur said:
Bugger, I just recorded 48 bars of Jam.  :-\
It's here... http://www.educrate.co.uk/dump/WarmothJamFull.mp3
Solo file ... http://www.educrate.co.uk/dump/WarmothJamMeOnly.mp3
Feel free to cut it after 24 bars if you like, that was the better half. It was kinda hard to keep up the pace with 48 bars improv, and I'm still doing the guitar -> soundcard line in lagfest rubbish.

I just want to butt in here and say I really really enjoyed this solo! Great sound you got there, and this is from someone who is allergic to treble :icon_thumright:

OK  -  I think I've got something I can live with. :laughing7:

For it to work for me I had to break it down into 3 solos and I decided to have fun and use different amps and effect for each so it sounds like 3 distinct solos (we can pretend I'm 3 people hehehe).  The way this progression is just throws me off so I couldn't keep it together for one solo in one take. Decided to just scrap that idea. :laughing7:  I'll put up the files in a bit.

Back