Warmoth #2 - Purple Strat NEW PICS WITH NECK!!!

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
I think a black pickguard would actually make the binding "pop" a little better.  The binding and cream pearloid pickguard are both lighter than the body color, making them hard to distinguish.  With a dark pickguard, the lighter masked binding would stand out more, IMO.

Max, make it so.

This is only true if the black pickguard has a white edge.  When I was playing around with it in Photoshop, I stuck a black pickguard in there with no white line around the edge and it looked really bad, like there was this black hole in the middle.  Even so, I'm not convinced that it's not too dark just yet.  I need to see this thing in person before I know.  My local guitar shop has a ton of pickguards, so I'll just take it over there and look at a bunch of different ones with the body.  I do really like the Vintage Pearl from the way it looks on the computer, we'll just have to see what it actually looks like in real life. 

I do really like the Vintage Pearl from the way it looks on the computer, we'll just have to see what it actually looks like in real life. 
[/quote]

I agree 100%  :icon_thumright:
I think the Vintage Pearl looks much better than any of the others. 
It just set's off the binding perfectly...
:rock-on:

That needs something simple on the fretboard, like jet black ebony with abalone inlays.  It's too bad that there doesn't seem to be much black ebony anymore... I have 4 Warmoth necks from the mid/late 90s with incredible dark ebony.

-Mark

Kay, I'm thinking about pups on this bad boy.  I'm thinking maybe SD Alnico II neck and middle, SSL-5 or SSL3T at the bridge. 

Black lipsticks or EMG's..... :headbang:
yhst-50206111187217_2078_18054916

The EMGs sound cool, but I'm kind of bummed to find out how expensive a set is.  :sad:  I might have to go with something else for a while. 

hannaugh said:
The EMGs sound cool, but I'm kind of bummed to find out how expensive a set is.  :sad:   I might have to go with something else for a while. 
There are less expensive active EMG look-a-likes... :dontknow:

Okay, the body has been shipped (yay!  :blob7: :hello2: :toothy12:) and I just put a bid on a lightly used set of SD Alnico IIs for my starting lineup.  They were not being bid on and the reserve was really low, so I couldn't resist.  If I win I'll at least have something to play until I can afford the David Gilmour set.

hannaugh said:
Okay, the body has been shipped (yay!  :blob7: :hello2: :toothy12:) and I just put a bid on a lightly used set of SD Alnico IIs for my starting lineup.  They were not being bid on and the reserve was really low, so I couldn't resist.  If I win I'll at least have something to play until I can afford the David Gilmour set.

Good job.  :icon_thumright:

Just a note on the Gilmour pickups.  David Gilmour has repeatedly said that he can walk into any major music store and get everything he needs to achieve his sound.  The SD set you're looking at can easily do it, its damn close to his Fender signature model pups.

In specific reference to The Red Strat with EMG's
http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=68

The guitar stayed as David’s main axe for the Momentary/Delicate tour (1987-’90) and the Division Bell studio sessions and tour in 1994. It’s also seen on countless TV- and guest-appearances throughout the 80’s and 90’s. David also used it on a couple of songs on the On an Island recoding sessions and tour, but commented that he prefered the Black Strat as the EMG pickups sounded “too much like humbuckers and not so much as a Strat”.

Blue313 said:
Just a note on the Gilmour pickups.  David Gilmour has repeatedly said that he can walk into any major music store and get everything he needs to achieve his sound.  The SD set you're looking at can easily do it, its damn close to his Fender signature model pups.

In specific reference to The Red Strat with EMG's
http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=68

The guitar stayed as David’s main axe for the Momentary/Delicate tour (1987-’90) and the Division Bell studio sessions and tour in 1994. It’s also seen on countless TV- and guest-appearances throughout the 80’s and 90’s. David also used it on a couple of songs on the On an Island recoding sessions and tour, but commented that he prefered the Black Strat as the EMG pickups sounded “too much like humbuckers and not so much as a Strat”.

That is a cool site. I've been on it a few times before, and I still love his #0001 guitar.
01strat_close.jpg

Well now I'm annoyed because I couldn't be at my computer when the auction ended and someone sniped them.  Grrrrr  :sad:  I really doubt I'll be able to find another set of Alnico IIs at that price. 

And now ebay appears to be broken.  Nothing comes up when I do a search or when I click on categories.  Weird. 

Back