simple 7/8th (super)strat ...

rockandroller

I've been buying fabulous Warmoth guitar necks since the previous millenium, but somehow I never managed to complete a guitar :oops:
(lame excuse: too much moving from country to country).
Around a half-dozen years ago I did manage to put together one very nice five-string Gecko bass (for a one-off show).
And I've had a short-scale 4-string neck & body sitting in the boxes, with all the hardware and electronics ready to go ... for a couple of years now.
(Very possibly I will finally get that one assembled this year!)

:) But DEFINITELY, I will be assembling this 7/8th strat this autumn:

7/8 Warhead Guitar Neck
Construction
Modern
Shaft Wood Roasted Maple
Fretboard Wood Ebony
Unique Choice No, Warmoth can choose for me.
Nut Width 1.650" (42mm) - Vintage Medium
Right / Left Handed Right-Handed
Neck Back Profile Wizard
Fretboard Radius 10" - 16" Compound
Number of Frets 24
Binding None
Fret Size & Material SS6230 - Vintage Small (Stainless)
Tuner Hole Size Schaller/Modern Fender/Sperzel (25/64")
Inlay Shape None
Side Dots Moon Glow Side Dots (3mm)
String Nut Standard Nut - GraphTech Black TUSQ XL
Mounting Holes Standard 4-Bolt
Neck Heel Shape Strat® Shape
Finish None​
GN-78W​
1​
7/8 S-Style Guitar Body
Construction
Solid
Core Wood Basswood
Lam Top Wood No Lam Top
Right / Left Handed Right-Handed
Control Cavity Rear Rout
Neck Pickup Rout Humbucker (Wood Mount)
Middle Pickup Rout None
Bridge Pickup Rout Humbucker (Wood Mount)
Controls Volume 1, Tone 1, Blade Switch
Jack Rout 3/4" (19mm) Side Jack Hole
Bridge Rout Type No Bridge Rout
Mounting Holes Standard 4-Bolt
Neck Pocket Shape Strat®
Body Contours Forearm Contour, Tummy Cut, Custom Contoured Heel
Binding & Edge Decorations None
Battery Box None
Paint Category Metallic
Top Color Purple Frost
Back Color Purple Frost
Satin or Gloss Gloss​
GB-78S​
1​

SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS:​

***KAHLER BRIDGE ROUT - I UNDERSTAND IT WILL ADD $10 TO THE COST*** (No Return/Refund/Cancel due to the off-menu nature) (for Kahler 2300 top-mount trem)

I've developed a bit of a fetish for pointy headstock superstrats in recent years (since stumbling onto a nice Carvin) but a couple months ago I sold off my three Jacksons, so I am now in dire need of something with "24 frets and a trem"! (I do have a strat with a reverse tele headstock, but it's only got 22 frets...)

Anyway, this one ticks all the boxes for me, and will be equipped with a couple of vintage humbuckers and a Kahler flatmount trem (and the 'no-tools' Kahler Pro Lock behind-the-nut string lock)...

Pics in the autumn... (build estimate was 16-17 weeks)

Last edited:
The EVH Wolfgang has that fret size, maybe that was the reason @rockandroller ?
Tangentially related, but I notice that a lot of the in-stock 7/8 Warhead necks are given the Wolfgang neck profile. Is there some kind of relationship/influence between EVH (the person) and 7/8 builds in general? I love looking for little pieces of lore here and there.

I was looking at that nice (blue headstock) in-stock 7/8th neck for quite a while, but decided to go with something skinnier, instead of the wolfgang. I've found that the less neck there is, the more comfortable it is for me! ALSO it had a flat radius, and I appreciate the compound radius. Also it didn't have Moonglow side dots! (i'm fond of those little blue dots). And I do like skinnier frets, in general - just a little more room in-between there, in the highest positions.

I think that Aaron mentioned in one of the 7/8th videos that the Wolfgang profile was his personal favorite, maybe that's why it seems to be the default...

Last edited:
Tangentially related, but I notice that a lot of the in-stock 7/8 Warhead necks are given the Wolfgang neck profile. Is there some kind of relationship/influence between EVH (the person) and 7/8 builds in general? I love looking for little pieces of lore here and there.

No connection or lore. It is just what is in the showcase at the moment.

Today, a very nice surprise: THE BODY ARRIVED. :D :D :D :D
(I wasn't expecting it until October/November -ish.)
Awesome that I can start loading it up while I patiently wait for the neck.
I have to go out of town tomorrow, but I'm hoping to get it shielded by the weekend...

Not the most glamorous pics, (reflections are conduit on ceiling of my laundry room) but I'm super-pleased that it's a rich, dark, 'almost-cobalt' blueish-purple. Exactly what I was hoping for!!! And despite me neglecting to spec "extra-light' - it feels very lightweight (I will dig out my postal scale soon...)

SOLOIST7073.jpg
SOLOIST9141.jpg

Last edited:
Nice-looking purple. Better to wait until you get the neck to check everything is lining up etc before screwing things in.
yep, for sure, with the semi-experimental Kahler rout especially (they did caveat that it might need slight adjustment). But i'm game for shielding and some wiring for sure. I'm not too bothered about fine-fitting pickup polepieces +/- a mm, since they are bar-magnet style humbuckers...

yep, for sure, with the semi-experimental Kahler rout especially (they did caveat that it might need slight adjustment). But i'm game for shielding and some wiring for sure. I'm not too bothered about fine-fitting pickup polepieces +/- a mm, since they are bar-magnet style humbuckers...

Please keep in mind, you need to check the neck and body for fit and so on before screwing anything in to stay within the warranty terms.

BTW, shipped to my door (Canada, right on the Minnesota border - which means it first travelled to Toronto and then backtracked to Thunder Bay by plane probably - and then last 4 hours by truck to here) ... it took just two days under twelve weeks from the day I ordered. :)

Today, a very nice surprise: THE BODY ARRIVED. :D :D :D :D
(I wasn't expecting it until October/November -ish.)
Awesome that I can start loading it up while I patiently wait for the neck.
I have to go out of town tomorrow, but I'm hoping to get it shielded by the weekend...

Not the most glamorous pics, (reflections are conduit on ceiling of my laundry room) but I'm super-pleased that it's a rich, dark, 'almost-cobalt' blueish-purple. Exactly what I was hoping for!!! And despite me neglecting to spec "extra-light' - it feels very lightweight (I will dig out my postal scale soon...)

View attachment 60235
View attachment 60236
That is deeper and richer than I expected, may eclipse my Black holo flake choice.

I think that Aaron mentioned in one of the 7/8th videos that the Wolfgang profile was his personal favorite, maybe that's why it seems to be the default...

I don't think that's it.

If it has become the default (and I don't think it has) it would only be because that's what people are ordering.

But perhaps they are ordering it because of me announcing my preferences publicly, in which case it would be because of me.

And that would make me an influencer.

Hey.....I'm an influencer y'all!!!

Back