Warmoth #2 - Purple Strat NEW PICS WITH NECK!!!

hannaugh

Master Member
Yes, you read the title correctly.  My grandfather just ordered the purple Strat body that I've been drooling over for months for me as a Christmas gift.  I'm so freaking excited.  I got it with the Vintage Pearl pickguard.  

PurpleStrat.png

God bless us, everyone!  I love Christmas.  

Here's the plan so far:

Neck =
Angled conversion Strat
All flame maple
Standard Thin contour
Abalone dots
Satin finish
Installed white corian compensated nut
...not sure yet if I should get SS frets... still debating
Chrome Gotoh locking tuners

Pickup covers and knobs will be cream rather than white.  I think white would look weird with the vintage pearl pickguard I chose.

Not sure what pups yet, I'm open to suggestions.  I was thinking about going the David Gilmour route.

BTW, I forgot to mention that the body is Mahogany.

Two pup suggestions, both by Lindy Fralin.  I love my "Vintage Hot" set, and the "Callaham H/SRV spec" set is a board favorite.

EMG David Gilmour set or the Steve Lukather set. Have Warmoth route for a bridge HB before it ships out.

Also you really should try the Wolfgang profile if you like the thinner necks.

And yes, go SS.

Thanks guys!

Ace Flibble (I still laugh at that name... go Red Dwarf!) - They listed it as a "Magenta Burst", which they don't have in the paint section.  I figured I had better snag this body because who knows when I'd see another one like it.

knuckleheadG - Hell yes, but I doubt this one is as much of a slam dunk as the LP was.  I don't think purple will get as many votes.  Won't stop me from entering though.

DbU - I want to it to have 3 singles.  Also, they don't do Wolfgang on a conversion neck, which makes me cry because I really want the Wolfgang contour, but the shorter scale is a must for me. 

Here is my reservation about the SS frets; if they end up needing some work, are they going to be obnoxious for me to work on?  It seems like they would be hard to work with.

SS isnt hard to work on, it can be rough on tools though.  Those nice diamond nail-files work great actually.   Also, SS levels just fine with regular 220/320 grit sandpaper.

Bill Lawrence Keystones if you want to save a hundred or more bucks on the pickups. They are really great, and the quietest set of SCs I've played.

Here is my reservation about the SS frets; if they end up needing some work, are they going to be obnoxious for me to work on?

The tech that I frequent answered a similar question that I put to him thusly "Well, first off, they won't need work nearly as often, and unless you are just a crybaby, the level of attention to get them worked out right is not that much more.....so if you take the exponential difference in time between work done, and the amount of extra time that will be spent on the work, you'd be silly not to use the SS, unless, of course, you are one of those guys who claims to "hear" a difference!"

He's a funny guy.  

Cool, okay I'm going for the SS then.  I had been thinking about it for my LP, but then I found out I couldn't get them with the binding, so that was a no-go.  But this guitar won't have binding on the neck, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Hey Hannaugh,
Happy to see you snagged this one.  :headbang1:
I had been salivating over this one for some time also.
Glad to see it's going to someone who will treat it well.
That vintage pearl pickguard looks great.
Can't wait to watch it progress...
:rock-on:

While not necessarily a "purple person", that DOES look sharp.

I've gotten 3 necks with SS6105 frets, 2 for me and one for an upgrade I did for someone. I've played a wide variety of guitars over the course of almost 40 years and am apparently not as sensitive as some people, but never had any issue or rework needed on the 3 necks in question, and theoretically the only real difference is that they should wear longer before needing any rework

Fun times with Photoshop reveal that it could look something like this when I get a neck for it:

4114373104_56b7787a75_b.jpg

Honestly I think that's way too busy for my tastes. Everything is waving in different directions. With gold hardware and MOP inlayed knobs it would be Liberaci-esque. I think you'll show off the body better with a simple and / or classic neck. Canary or canary / ebony, something like that.

+1 to what DBU said about getting the bridge routed for a hum before shipping.  I'd do the same to the neck route.  Options are always nice, especially if a pickguard is involved.

Back