Unusual question on radius

I am visualizing this as a fretboard that is essentially flat under the top three strings, then curves down under the bottom three - radiused the most at the nut, then somewhat less as it goes up. I haven't done any drawings, but I'd guess that you'd be lowering the low E sting about the diameter of itself, or .050" - relative to the original position - except that practically speaking, you'd actually tilt the whole assembly to avoid excess woodworking/fret dressing, but I see where this guy's coming from.

If you play the length of the neck, not just cowboy chords, frets wear in kind of a long crescent pattern, with the wear starting low on the high string, extending over to the A & D string around the 10th to 12th fret - the same pattern you see on maple-neck guitars with the varnish worn off. When you re-level frets in the conventional way by inking them and leveling out the divots, you actually grind in a setup that's almost the opposite of what this is proposing - which is, of course, the origin of the compound radius to begin with. If you visualize this the way I see it, then tilt it to conform with what already exists on a 12" straight radius, it's almost like you'd just want to retain the radius when you relevel the frets - but not quite.

It might not seem like much, but shred guitar setups are extremely finicky. I don't even like action that low, but I am acutely aware of how a guitar is setup - as I mentioned above, Warmoth's compound radius isn't right for me because of chords up high, but I still think there's room for improvement over a straight radius. Being 51 & having had disc surgery with some nerve damage, and playing 6 hours a day, I can definitely see the reason to work towards ideal action. Everything is a compromise, but this is still a neat idea. I know a few of the hardcore luthiers that the Nashville & LA guys use, I'm going to run this by them. I kind of guess that some people are already doing it just in the way they level frets, but I'd never heard it articulated before in this way.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here use a Craftsman Carvewright? I've got one and I'm thinking that carving a rough prototype out of some poplar just to see the feel of it might be a quick way to get an idea.

Wait, you HAVE A CARVEWRIGHT?!?!?!?!

Well, sir, it seems that you can make a neck pretty handy.  :icon_thumright:

Not only can you make a prototype of this "Double Radius" neck, but you can make all sorts of stuff. You can at least make a blank...would it let you flip it over and carve a profile on the back?

Your original idea is viable,  The nut just needs to be radiused to match and the bridge needs to have a lot of height adjustment...the Hipshot hardtail may be a good choice. Stubs is right about the frets being seated by hand.

I say go for it on the carvewright. It's gonna be fun!

MUYFUE said:
Wait, you HAVE A CARVEWRIGHT?!?!?!?!

Yup. It is a pretty brilliant machine for prototyping, and low volume carving, but its not good for high volume at all. I didn't buy it for that purpose anyways.

MUYFUE said:
Not only can you make a prototype of this "Double Radius" neck, but you can make all sorts of stuff. You can at least make a blank...would it let you flip it over and carve a profile on the back?

That's precisely how you make a neck on it. You flip it over like a book and carve the back radius.

MUYFUE said:
Your original idea is viable,  The nut just needs to be radiused to match and the bridge needs to have a lot of height adjustment...the Hipshot hardtail may be a good choice. Stubs is right about the frets being seated by hand.

I say go for it on the carvewright. It's gonna be fun!

Its definitely going to be a lot of work, but it'll definitely be a lot fun in a very worst case scenario that I end up with a neat looking, but unplayable, piece of wood :)

Getting closer...

ZamanRadiusCWD.jpg

:)

Zaman said:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone here use a Craftsman Carvewright? I've got one and I'm thinking that carving a rough prototype out of some poplar just to see the feel of it might be a quick way to get an idea.

I was very close to buying one a couple of months ago! I read a lot of mixed reviews on it though..
can it handle blanks big enough for a carved top body though? did you ever make a body with it?

I just bought it recently, so I haven't had the chance to yet, but I know plenty of people who have made some great looking/sounding guitars with it. It requires an expert level knowledge of the machine and its proprietary software, but its definitely do-able. There are a number of techniques. Les Pauls are usually made in 3 slices then glued together, Strats can be carved top and bottom then glued. It works quite well because you can make your top slice a cap of any exotic wood you like then have the rest a tonewood like Mahogany or something.

The possibilities are pretty mind-blowing. I know one guy who carves dragons into his guitars and they look awesome. The George Lynch "Mr. Scary" guitar also becomes a very real possibility as well.

Marko said:
I was very close to buying one a couple of months ago! I read a lot of mixed reviews on it though..
can it handle blanks big enough for a carved top body though? did you ever make a body with it?

Back