Bridge Radius for Straight necks

johnnyj

Hi folks,

i am currently considering a new warmoth build. for this axe, i would like to go with a flat straight radius with a schaller lockmeister and an earvarna nut (no locking nut).

now i am interested in how to optimize the radius for this build. would you suggest to take the same radius on the fretboard like on the bridge? for the lockmeister, i can go with a 16" radius without shimming and would like to use that at the bridge. would it be fine/recommendable to use a slightly smaller radius on the neck like 15" or would you recommend to use identical radius?

best
johnny

Did you already decide the fretboard radius, or do you want to choose it to work with the 16” bridge radius?

I think it's normal to have a bridge radius that is slightly larger than the fretboard radius, because the low strings require disproportionately higher action. For example a Les Paul having a 14” bridge radius.

Last edited:
Hard to know until you try, but I often prefer a slightly larger (more flat) radius at the bridge than the 9.5 of my necks. This is mostly so the high E/B can be bent and rocked a little harder without fretting out.

i would prefer either a 14 or a 15 straight. in my preparation i also read the justification for mismatch wrote in some forums that jonnyhardtail and bruce now wrote, which makes theoretically sense for me, but i dont have experiences with it.

Back