so what kind of education do you guys have?

vansmack said:
BS degree in Landscape Architecture.  Own a land planning consulting firm.  Design commercial developments, community planning, golf courses, parks, etc.   

My fiance was going to major in that, but then he decided he liked being a stagehand better.

to the people that think i ant to get out of uni because its to hard for me its the opposite... as i sit there in the lecture halls i just think to myself is this worth the money? the things that im

learning are all "theories" and "diagrams" and how buisnesess work, i personally think that half of it's bullshit and the other half is useless mumbo jumbo...another swaying me to a trade

is that i am not certain if there are employers chomping at the bit to hire a management grad with no expiernce.(i have meet way to many people hatget a degrees then they could never

find a job with it)..... so im at a crossroads, to finish up something that i enjoy but i find useless at the same time with prospects of doing something for me in the future or going to a feild

that is in demand......what do you guys think i should do?

Half of everything is bullshite and mumbo jumbo, buddy, that's what life is all about. That's not at all the point of getting a degree. Employers want a quick and easy way to sort through all the job applications - first and easiest thing to do is throw away the applications of people without degrees. A degree shows, if nothing else, that you stuck to something and accomplished it more or less on your own. They could care less that you read Sartre and can do multivariate ordinal regression. Another thing I can say in favor of a degree; nobody can ever take it away from you, no matter what happens the rest of your life. I haven't met many people who regret finishing their BA and I wouldn't expect to, but I've met plenty of people who regret not finishing - my mom is one, if she had stayed for her senior year in college she would have her current bosses' job, they require a degree (any degree) to rise above a certain level. It may be bullshite, but it is DEFINITELY how the game is played.

If there's one thing that counts as much as a sheepskin in this nation, it's who ya know.

People in general go for a "known" over an "unknown".

Not only that, when people are building their little empires, they want people they can trust.

Networking can pay off big time.

I graduated, spent about a year and a half going to College then went to work for Dunn-Edwards Paint Corporation in 1977.  D.E. is the largest family owned paint business in California.  I became a store manager in 1986 and then in 1990 I became a Regional Store Operations Manager for all of Northern California. In 1995 I became an Outside Salesman for the company and one year later moved to sales management.  From 2000 until February 23 of this year I was the District Sales Manager for the California Central Valley and Salinas, Monterey, Carmel, Santa Cruz areas.  I retired on February 23 after a great 32-year career with the company.  Now I lacquer guitars, give guitar lessons, and play with the worship band at church.  Oh, and I take care of the weenie dog and the Koi. So if you every wondered where I learned so much about lacquer and paint now you know.  One last thing, I’m SOOOOOOOO happy being retired doing what I love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finish the degree man.  Trade school isn't going anywhere and that degree can still help you.  You need to network too, but get that degree.  Just because you may not use the knowledge acquired with that degree does not mean that you won't use the degree itself.

Lucky #007 said:
Just because you may not use the knowledge acquired with that degree does not mean that you won't use the degree itself.

Listen to this man! He speaks much truth!

Yes.  It's usually the ones w/out them that say they are useless.  Get the degree and talk about how it hasn't helped.  Most times, when the decision or oppurtunity arrises to get the degree, it's supposed to be about level-headedness and stabilty.  For most, we make that decision or have that oppurtunity when we are at our most irrational and unstable time in our lives.  Our late teens and early 20s.

Greatest thing a professor told me in college: it's not the grades you make, it's the hands you shake. 

That's not to say you can blow off classes and squeak by (I tried that and my grades ran me right out of the running for a job that I was perfect for experience wise), but it can be as if not more important than the degree.  However, you close a lot of doors by not finishing and limit your options for the future.  What if trade school sucks?  Everybody says they'll just go back, few actually do it.  Finish it while you're there and if you don't want to go into a job, then go to trade school. I bet that would put you ahead of a lot of the competition if you did decide to go into some sort of trade.  Management would see you as a potential manager with knowledge of the trade and business degree.  You'd be fast tracked in a heartbeat.

I get the bug to leave school sometimes too,

Lucky #007 said:
Everybody says they'll just go back, few actually do it.  Finish it while you're there

but this is what I remind myself. I am lucky enough, privileged enough to be in a university. I am here and as much as I get antsy and tired and convinced my time could be better spent elsewhere, I am HERE and I am going to finish.

^^^ A rallying cry to myself as I finish a term paper  :laughing7:

Apparently the word in pharmacy school is C = PharmD (their degree) or so my wife that goes there says

Lucky #007 said:
Greatest thing a professor told me in college: it's not the grades you make, it's the hands you shake. 

On my graduation day, one of my professors told me, (paraphrasing of course)

"do something with your music before you start buying couches"

Australian school system is much different to the USA.

Left High School at Year 10 at the minimum legal age to leave school (15 years, 9 months) & went to work for a bank. Hated my high school - the only thing that kept me going during the 4 years there was the music I took up.  I threw up on enrolment day and it didn't get much better the whole time I was there. Drunks as history teachers, blinded maths teachers, American English teachers who couldn't spell words in the ENGLISH way, effiminate male English teachers trying to teach an all boys' class (High School was an all Boys School - Girls High School was down the road, and the Railway Station was bedlam at home time, he he  :evil4: )how to act in a Play!Great music teacher though, who inspired me and a few others into taking up music. Thanx for saving a bit of my sanity Mr. Suthers.

Have worked for a bank, a couple of finance companies, then a wholesale electrical company, then security guard , then onto Federal security & law enforcement, and now bus driver.

I have a Certificate 4 in Human Resource Management, a Certificate 2 & 3 in Transportation, a School Certificate and that's about it.

Guess I was a slacker even before Kurt Cobain's generation made it fashionable.

Now I'm 48 it's near impossible to study anything - I live miles away from work and the combination of shift work and commuting kills you. No energy to study, but let's be honest at my age a study has to be a bit fanciful and not something that could change my work life around, right?

My 'last roll of the dice' as far as self improvement goes, was the Certificate 4 in HRM. I was in a box seat position to use the Federal Public Service system and get into a  junior-ish HRM job, just as a new Federal Government came to power and outsourced everything! I got good grades for the study but now that that qualification is over 10 years old, it doesn't stack up even if there was a job happening. I did try to get a few jobs but I just didn't make the grade.

With my bad hearing the job as a bus driver is under threat & it's a year to year proposition if I am allowed to continue driving buses. I thought I was set for the remainder of my work life driving a bus, but that has turned out sour and I am really scratching my head as to what to do next.  :dontknow:

The global financial mess has not helped either and I guess I'm lucky to be in a job that pays alright and will be there for as long as I can keep driving, but the medical cloud is not nice to work under.

I was actually discouraged by my father into going into a trade as he was a carpenter and he did not want his son to follow suit. But I think nowadays that a trade, particularly something in electrical trades might be a goer and I do regret not looking into a trade when I was younger.

Oh -  to the OP about completing the Degree -  do it...... It's surprising how your life can change but degrees and trades are something you can always fall back on.

Well, education.  I have a high school education. I plan to stay in until year 12, get my HSC in something, always a good way to go. I do Music, Woodwork and cooking, aswell as the other ones, english, math, science, health, PE, Geography. When I get into year 12 I plan to focus on my Music and woodwork. I want to get a tafe course doing cabinet restoration and construction and maybe do some sort of management course.

I have a 'Satisfactory Completion' certificate of my advanced Endurance dirt bike riding school. I didn't do too well, but I still win stuff :icon_biggrin: .

Other than that I got null.  :icon_biggrin:  hooray for youth!

Back