Should it cost this much to get my Warmoth assembled??!

Shoot, couldn't you just bolt the thing together and have the shop wire it and set it up?  They'll tighten whatever needs tightened!  So, a setup and probably outlandish wiring cost is all it may be!

WMHOLP  I don't buy the "I dont have time" excuse, if your life is so miserable that you don't have time to play a guitar or the time to "bolt" one together, you need to figure out how to live on less sleep or more pills.

I am sensative to this crappy excuse , because I have a close friend who says it all the time, he spends too much time at strip clubs and bars and whatever, people that don't have time to live, don't get any sympathy from me, but maybe you can change my mind, give er a go.

I'd like to take this moment to appologize to any of you slackers that I offended in my previous post, My bad sorry, I will lighten up from now on.

Alfang said:
I'd like to take this moment to appologize to any of you slackers that I offended in my previous post, My bad sorry, I will lighten up from now on.

Not offended at all.  I guess when I got used to working the night shift for years, I had all kinds of time on my hands.  Time alone during the day while the wife is at work, and the daughter's at school, and all kinds of wind down time after work, since everybody's asleep when I got home.  I was writing tunes, playing, practicing, recording all the time.  When I moved to the day shift, everything changed.  I'm lucky if I can make a dinner before bed, then racing around in the morning to get ready for work, and the daughter off to school.  I'm not miserable as you say, just always busy.  Anyway, I opted to have the assembly done at 12th Fret.  Someday, if I can ever muster the cash for another build, I'd take it on myself.  For now, it's done, and I enjoy playing it as often as I can....just not often enough for my liking. It's funny you mention your friend and titty bars.  I'm off to one this morning to help the manager with a sound system install.  I help them out occasionally with their sound gear, and they buy me drinks whenever I pop in.  Fair trade for a quick happy hour after work.  I ran live sound for years, so messing with a DJ PA is a snap.  They have no idea what they are doing, including the DJ's that operate the thing, so I offer advice here and there.

I've just finished my first Warmoth ever. The first guitar ever. It was just a couple hours of work (after the paint-job was done).

6 tuners with 2 screws in each, 4 neck screws, 2 pickups, 2 volume controls and 2 tone-controls, switch, and the strap holders. Thats it. I had some problems with the wiring, since this was the first time. I began one night when I got home from work, and was playing later that same night..

the value of having a guitar/bass 'assembled and set-up' is in the beholder in the very same way that most of you here pay $$$ for finished and unfinished Warmoth bodies and necks when the cost to build one yourself is significantly less than what you pay Warmoth. if you're going to chide someone for wanting to pay to have their guitar assembled, then don't look so far away as to look in the mirror and see who's spending more money than they have to

so what if someone wants to pay to have their ride assembled. so what if they don't want to assemble it even after you point out how easy it is to assemble a bunch of prefinished parts.

to each their own, ya know.

for the record - I pay people to do things that I coulod very well do myself, but choose not to for some reason or another ... I pay to have my roof and driveway cleaned even though I own a pressure washer because there are better things to do with my time than wiggle a pressure washer wand back/forth for an entire day ... I pay to have my car serviced at a local shop even though I can easily overhaul an engine myself ... you get the picture.

for the record - I no longer pay to have bodies made and finished by someone else. for the cost of one unfinished P-bass body I can purchase the rough Alder lumber to build at least six if not eight bass bodies ... I can build four necks with graphite stiffening bars for the price of a single J-bass neck ... and I can get it all done (including finishing) quicker than ordering a finished body or neck from Warmoth.

if I were to follow the logic of previous posters in this thread, I should be chastizing all of you for wasting your money purchasing unfinished or finished parts from Warmoth instead of building them yourselves - but you have chosen to spend the money and have someone who is skilled in an area you are not to do the work for you. and good for you because in the end you have a project you are happy with - just like the guy who pays to have his guitar assembled and set-up

to the question of $400 being too much (or $200 or $50 for that matter) ... if you run a business and don't want to take a job you overbid the price right? and if that customer says to you that they'll take you up on your inflated bid you do it an pocket the extra $$$ right? I believe the same thing is happening in this case - the shop doesn't want to do it (or they are very busy at the moment) but they will take it on at a premium price. I see this in the construction business all the time, and I have been guilty of it myself when I really didn't want to take on a specific project. O - but you forgot that not all shops are operated by rip-off central, and that instead they are forced to operate a business for PROFIT (unlike those who build for hobby)

all the best,

R

If you figure in time/materials, you don't save a nickel over what Warmoth charges doing the finish yourself, and probably spend MORE, as it can easily take 15-20 hours, sometimes more, to complete a finish job. You can however get finishes not offered by Warmoth and it definitely adds to the challenge....

We could follow this all the way to the logical begining, but I am not about to go cut down a tree and start from there....  :laughing3:

Thepriebster said:
Maybe you should go back to the night shift.

You make it sound like a much better life.  :icon_thumright:

It's a sacrifice I had to make to spend more time with my family.  I rarely saw my wife & daughter while on night shift.  Now's it's just a matter of making time for the guitars on the weekends.  From a family standpoint, the day shift is much better.  I spent quite a few years mixing live sound in the past also.  That always took me away on weekends.  We'll see if my wife get's sick of seeing me all the time now.  She does appreciate the help she gets after work now....an actual meal for a change.  We have a very busy 7 year old.

All people got different needs and economy. Someone like to pay to have their axe painted and assebled. I think that's just perfect. When I get a little more experience I can do it for you, if you live nearby.
For me, it's a kind of satisfaction playing on my own LP. My own meaning that I've done everything all by myself. As I said, it was just a coulpe of hours of work. That was acctually ment as a comment for all those saying it's expensive to get their axe assebled :)

Back