Shootout 01 - Pick The Imposter!

Which Clip Was Made With A Modeling Amp?

• Clip One

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Clip Two

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Clip Three

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Alright, now here's my take on this:

I think arguing points is fine - hell I don't even mind the occasional competitive "jab".

Arguing about tone or whatever... that sharpens people and perhaps makes them aware of things they
wouldn't notice if they were just ho-hum about stuff.

As well, I want to hear people say in this thread, "that tone sucks" or "hey that sounds great"... and
I want discussion/arguing points on it.

But yeah, this particular one with Ub. is eating up too many pages... I've said my points, he's said his... stick a fork in it and call it "done".

dbw said:
Stfu and tell us which was which.

Patience, dbw-san.  This is going for week - gotta wait til Friday.

Meanwhile that gives me time for the next wacky test.  :icon_jokercolor:

(and since I like you, but not in that way, I think I'll do that Marshall thang you requested)

I'm officially skipping this one.

"...I dont wanna play over dere anymore, Ma. Dee udder kidsh are alwaysh yellig and playig ruff...Dey shay meen tings."
"...It's ok, baby. Come here to Mama. Come here, that's right, it's gonna be ok...Why don't you want to play?"
'...Game not fun no more!"
"Oh, baby, do you think that maybe they are just trying to play as best they can?"
"...Dey sho shmart and maike me feel dumm...dey argyew and it hoits my hed...I don't wike my fwends to fite!..'sniff sniff'"

"...'sniff' Can we get sum ice queem?'
"Of course we can get sum ice queem."
"...'sniff'...ok."

:tard:

Clips are too different, too long. Game is lame. Sorry dude.
Manzano Contra Manzano!

MUYFUE said:
I'm officially skipping this one.

"...I dont wanna play over dere anymore, Ma. Dee udder kidsh are alwaysh yellig and playig ruff...Dey shay meen tings."
"...It's ok, baby. Come here to Mama. Come here, that's right, it's gonna be ok...Why don't you want to play?"
'...Game not fun no more!"
"Oh, baby, do you think that maybe they are just trying to play as best they can?"
"...Dey sho shmart and maike me feel dumm...dey argyew and it hoits my hed...I don't wike my fwends to fite!..'sniff sniff'"

"...'sniff' Can we get sum ice queem?'
"Of course we can get sum ice queem."
"...'sniff'...ok."

Clips are too different, too long. Game is lame. Sorry dude.
Manzano Contra Manzano!

Chicken.   :icon_tongue:

Pollo!

my 2 cents: (well, actually 3)

-clip one: real marshall
-clip two: guitar rig
-clip three: fender

:icon_jokercolor:

Finally got around to listening to these long clips.

The first one is the Marshall.  It has that midrange 'oink' that Marshalls are known for  :icon_jokercolor:.  Seriously, it does sound a bit on the harsh side, like there are ceramic caps in there in the signal path.  But to my ears, it's the Marshall.

The second one sounds the worst, and since SL is at the controls it has to be the modeller  :icon_biggrin:

The third clip has that nice smoothness that 6V6 tubes can generate, much like my old deluxe reverb when pushed into a power soak - so to my ears that's the fender.

If I were to use one for my sounds, I'd use amp 3 - in fact for several years a wound-out Deluxe into a powersoak was my main stage sound.

That's my vote.

Ok, I'll play with you!  :toothy10:

I voted #2 as The Impostor! It seemed to have less space and no swell at all to my ears.
#2 seemed the most..."meh"

The other two just sounded more believeable...#3 on the soft parts, I like the slight breakup, not sure a modeler can do that...
Then again, I always record via a 4X12 in a "tent of doom"

I was trying to get my guy to run left to right...but I am  :tard:

Alright, it's been a week - here's the actual amps:

1)  '67 Fender blackface Deluxe

2)  Guitar Rig 3

3)  Marshall JTM45RI (modded to 60's specs + THD Yellowjackets)

64% who voted picked clip #2 correctly (the "imposter").  Good job, y'all!   :icon_thumright:

Interestingly, the Marshall got zero votes... even more interestingly, some voted for the Deluxe!

My guess on the Deluxe choice is because it has a somewhat scooped mid-range and a bite on the top... making
it sound somewhat "hi-fi"... as well, the cleans are great.  The Deluxe clip is fuller sounding compared to the Marshall;
which is more mids-focused.

The GR3 cleans up well with the vol knob; albeit too thin and trebley... it also does clean+a little clipping well (jazzy Steely Dan chords at end).
(I'm not even going to mention the awful poopy distortion... oh wait, I just did)

Tunes used in order, per clip:

1)  Badlands - Winter's Call intro
2)  Thin Lizzy - Emerald
3)  Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
4)  Steve Morse Band - Highland Wedding
5)  Steely Dan - Kid Charlemagne

More to come...   :icon_jokercolor:

Cool... this one was kind of easy to pick the modeler, but I have to admit I had the Marshall and Fender reversed.

remember this test only counts for anyone that didn't get the original files...

GoDrex said:
remember this test only counts for anyone that didn't get the original files...

For the record, I reset the votes after I fixed the soundclick snafu.

I'd assume only a few could have "cheated"... and I fixed it when there was only 1 vote entered.

Hmmm - I got the fender and marshall backwards!

Got the modeler though - it was pretty easy.  Remind me not to use that particular modeler  :tard:

Back