Seymour Duncan now making a solderless wiring system

hannaugh

Master Member
Have you guys seen this?

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/Daily/News/Seymour_Duncan_Introduces_Liberator_Solderless_Pickup_Change_System.aspx

That's pretty cool, and they are using screw terminals similar to the equipment I use at work.  This will make wiring quick and simple for those that don't want to solder.  I see two problems though:  It's not completely necessary, but I found that those screw terminals hold better when you tin the tips of the wires with solder.  The other problem that may happen is that after the guitar has been played for a while all the vibrations might loosen the screws.  The Liberator is also the name of... :laughing7:...I can't say it,  a triangular shaped pillow. :tard:

I would definitely use that.

I have one of these and I love it:
http://www.toneshapers.com/Webpage.aspx?WebpageId=70

The Duncan thing would have come in handy when I was on a pickup search for my LP.

$35 per volume pot with the "switchboard" thingy?   Ouch!

I guess it's cool if you don't think you can solder and just want to change a basic pickup, but man.... a $15 Radio shack soldering iron and a quick Youtube tutorial on soldering is all you need to change a pickup.

Plus, what happens when you try to install this thing into your guitar and while cutting out the old volume pot accidentally cut or shorten the wires to the tone pot or PU selector switch and then have to re-solder those? :)   Oops. :)

Paul-less said:
Sorry, that looks kind of fail. Just my 2cents

+1.

Terminal blocks? I laughed a little.

Why are people so reluctant to learn to solder?
I may be a bit biased because I've been into electronics work since I was a kid, but it's honestly not that difficult to run out to Radioshack and pick up a $15 soldering iron kit and find some information on soldering online.

Erik Z said:
I guess it's cool if you don't think you can solder and just want to change a basic pickup, but man.... a $15 Radio shack soldering iron and a quick Youtube tutorial on soldering is all you need to change a pickup.

Beat me to it.

Soldering is a pain in the ass, and it smells bad.  My only regret about these things is that they didn't come out with them sooner.

Yeah I can deal with soldering, but for someone who changes P/Us pretty frequently it's a chore I'd like to keep to a minimum.

I assume it's like EMGs in that you still have to solder the ground anyway. Once you have the solder kit out and warmed up, you may as well just do the whole thing the old-fashioned way.

Jet-Jaguar said:
Soldering is a pain in the ass, and it smells bad.  My only regret about these things is that they didn't come out with them sooner.

I guess you've got me there.

I get headaches assembling PCB boards because I'll end up with my face right over the smoke stream trying to see what I'm doing. (I know, I need a magnifying glass...) :sad:

Actually it looks like you can ground without solder too. If the whole thing is truly solderless that's no so bad. $35 though...

I guess I'd want to see the cost of a complete kit for a Strat or LP before passing judgment on the thing. I'd like the idea more if the price made sense. Even for someone like me who considers soldering a PITA, it would have to be (a) less that having some kid at the local shop solder for me if I don't want to bother, and/or (b) not all that much more cost than me just soldering it myself.

Maybe if this were included with SD p/u sets for a small markup it would make sense, like what EMG does. But saving 30 minutes in wiring a LP is only worth so much, and I think and it's probably tough for them to make the price sensible. Some people will find it useful, young guys without soldering guns or skills, people who like in small condos and have cranky wives maybe.

jay4321 said:
Yeah I can deal with soldering, but for someone who changes P/Us pretty frequently it's a chore I'd like to keep to a minimum.

Exactly my thoughts.  It's not really for people who have found the pickups they want and are making the change over, it's for people who want to try a bunch of different pups.  It would probably be a great tool for someone who is making their own pickups and needs to do a lot of testing on various designs.  

I don't know about this. I actually enjoy soldering, and this system just looks even more fiddly.  :dontknow:

line6man said:
Jet-Jaguar said:
Soldering is a pain in the ass, and it smells bad.  My only regret about these things is that they didn't come out with them sooner.

I guess you've got me there.

I get headaches assembling PCB boards because I'll end up with my face right over the smoke stream trying to see what I'm doing. (I know, I need a magnifying glass...) :sad:

The one thing I do when I solder is have a fan running, facing away from me, so that it carries the smoke away.  I also have a habit of exhaling each time I touch the iron to the solder, almost like I am blowing the smoke away.  I have been soldering for longer than I have been playing the guitar, so I don't know what all the fuss is about when it comes to soldering.  For a long-term build you would have to admit that solder is the strongest way of terminating wires, and screw terminals will loosen up due to vibrations.  This liberator would be good for swapping pickups constantly.  That's probably what Seymour Duncan wants.  Buy more pickups :evil4: Buy more pickups. :evil4:

Kilgore.jpg

I love the smell of flux in the morning... it smells like ... victory!

I do what Firebird does if it is a big job.  Otherwise I just turn it on, go clean the sponge for cleaning off and put some water on it, and the thing usually is about ready to go.  I have two exceptions...

My Mary Kaye strat, the leads to the jack were an odd length and it was easier to just put a european style term block in there for the hot and ground instead of unscrewing the jack plate.  Also I was worried about the holes that the screws for the jack plate went into getting worn.  The other is a guitar that I have been swapping pickups in and out of and recording samples for a project to get as best a consensus of the recorded sound of all of the pick ups.  They have been some interesting things that Troubled Treble made for me and I wanted to see, keeping the amp, guitar and mic placement the same, how much they sounded different.  I have that guitar's setup wire nutted to make things swappable very fast.  I'll solder it when I settle on what I think does the best job.

Also, flux doesn't seem to bother me much anymore.  I guess the desire for the guitar or pedal or amp out weighs the annoying smell.
Patrick

Back