Seymour Duncan now making a solderless wiring system

so twisting the wire on and electrical taping it in place is frowned upon?

no, i didn't do that.

AutoBat said:
so twisting the wire on and electrical taping it in place is frowned upon?

no, i didn't do that.
You have to use wire nuts, but make sure you use blue ones, because they have superior tone and increase the output 200%.

I like the idea, i don't like the price. I've hooked up thousands and thousands of tiny wires to terminals just like that, the wires won't come loose, best to tin the ends of the wires or add wire ferules.

Soldering with a $15 radio shack iron is a PITA (especially if you are using lead free solder with higher melting point)..

for $25-30 you can get a real iron like Hakko N454 (ceramic heating element instead of wire, more consistent heat and faster recovery time, reaches higher temps at lower wattage, you can replace the heating element for ~$5 so this kind of iron will last forever unlike the radio shack type which will break quickly and must be thrown out/replaced)

I have recently started using on of these Weller battery powered irons. Just for convenience reasons.

PDST2507.jpg

-Provides up to 500 C tip temperature
-Heats up to working temperature in 20-30 seconds
-Dual power (hi/lo) indicated by red and green LEDs
-Co-molded grip for a comfortable feel
-Protective safety cap turns off power when placed on tool
-Over 150 intermittent solder joints with fresh quality alkaline batteries
-Perfect for field service repair on small parts and components
-Built in LED work light near tip

I would like to try one of these as soon as I can find one for sale... I typed the name into google and all I get is articles.

Erik Z said:
$35 per volume pot with the "switchboard" thingy?   Ouch!

I guess it's cool if you don't think you can solder and just want to change a basic pickup, but man.... a $15 Radio shack soldering iron and a quick Youtube tutorial on soldering is all you need to change a pickup.

Plus, what happens when you try to install this thing into your guitar and while cutting out the old volume pot accidentally cut or shorten the wires to the tone pot or PU selector switch and then have to re-solder those? :)   Oops. :)
+1

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
I presume the pickup selector switch also connects to it the same way?

I was wondering the same thing.  I think it's just a pot, and I keep seeing "makes pickup changes easier."  Well, that's true if each pickup has it's own volume pot.  If no switch, that rules out most guitars unless they only have one pickup.  If you have multiple pots, multiply by $35.

This system, and the EMG system which is also solderless but not a terminal block, prove that the general public is solderly challenged.  I don't like soldering to the backs of pots, but pots, switches, and jacks all have lugs and even a bad solder joint has no trouble taking hold.  And why is it that people that solder well have no patience for those that can't?

Having a plumbing background, soldering has always been relativly simple for me. As with most anything, it takes practice and patience. My biggest problem is my eyesight now (bifocals). I guess if my eyes get any worse, I'd look into solderless joints.

I know the principle is the same, melting metal, but plumbing soldering and electrical soldering totally different.  Different heats, heat sources, different reasons, etc. etc. 

I did plumbing a little in college, was a helper for 3 years.  I sucked at that kind of soldering too.

I agree with the heat and metals thing, but the practice and patience is the key. And don't fret, every plumber has leaks. We always said if you met a plumber who said he never had a leak, that meant he wasn't doing any soldering himself.

jwl68th said:
I agree with the heat and metals thing, but the practice and patience is the key. [size=10pt]And don't fret, [/size] every plumber has leaks. We always said if you met a plumber who said he never had a leak, that meant he wasn't doing any soldering himself.

Good Sir, this IS a guitar forum.... :icon_jokercolor:

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
And why is it that people that solder well have no patience for those that can't?

Just for the record, my soldering skills are pretty much shit.  :)

Erik Z said:
Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
And why is it that people that solder well have no patience for those that can't?

Just for the record, my soldering skills are pretty much shite.  :)
Mine too.
Soldering ain't rocket science. You can read and watch guides on the internet and become pretty decent at soldering.

I don't think these terminals are durable enough. As mentioned before - I think the vibrations will over time loosen the screws. You could use locktite, but anyways - I don't see the point. It seems like the big brands have an urge to modernise guitars - and I don't like that.

Cagey said:
Looks like a solution in search of a problem, to me.

Yes, and you're just begging for problems with a system like this.
Soldering is the tried and true method of wiring a guitar, there is no need to complicate it with crap that's not going to hold up longer than a few years.

jwl68th said:
Having a plumbing background, soldering has always been relativly simple for me. As with most anything, it takes practice and patience.
Well, that's really great, if you want to become a luthier/electrician/plumber.  But some people just want to have a different pickup in their favorite guitar.

Back