Seymour Duncan now making a solderless wiring system

No doubt.  Don't forget to derate for all those current carrying conductors in the same raceway, lol.  The allowable box fill percentage escapes me at the moment, but Eric's (Wyliee) takes the cake.

126-2632_IMG.JPG

:laughing11: Hey, no batteries required, just someone that can make sense out of all those wires.:laughing11:   His looks like it needs a battery or two, most impressive. :evil4:  Look at all those op-amps.  Gibson should of done that to the Firebird X, instead making a laptop out of it.  I should get you a picture of the Phoenix Down Strat's rear pickguard wiring.  It has three push-pulls, and four DPDT on/on/on switches. :tard:  Not as much stuff as Eric's guitar, but every component is stacked on the other.  It's a soldering newbie's nightmare.  From what I can tell of Eric's, its homemade circuit boards and all, sweet. :icon_thumright:

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
No doubt.  Don't forget to derate for all those current carrying conductors in the same raceway, lol.  The allowable box fill percentage escapes me at the moment, but Eric's (Wyliee) takes the cake.

126-2632_IMG.JPG

Do I see a carbon composition resistor in there?

That looks like a fun project, but ONLY if you assemble everything first and then put it in the control cavity. :sad:

I don't know what it does, but I can tell that there are some duplicated circuit boards.  They have double-stacked board wafers to keep the rear contacts from shorting out. :icon_scratch:, unless he is doing dual level circuit boards and that would really blow my mind. :eek:  I would definately take it one chunk at a time, and I'm sure it gets duplicated with so many wires and connections that if you look at it as a whole you can't take it all in. :icon_biggrin:

Firebird said:
I don't know what it does, but I can tell that there are some duplicated circuit boards.  They have double-stacked board wafers to keep the rear contacts from shorting out. :icon_scratch:, unless he is doing dual level circuit boards and that would really blow my mind. :eek:  I would definately take it one chunk at a time, and I'm sure it gets duplicated with so many wires and connections that if you look at it as a whole you can't take it all in. :icon_biggrin:

No, those are actually VERY simple boards, he just has a lot of them.

I would have just put everything on one or two big boards.

Dual level circuit boards?
Those are too close together for a cordwood style construction.
If you are having PCBs etched, you can have 4-layer boards with two internal planes.
These are basic PCB protoboards, though.

I figured that, it doesnt' look like he did.  I have etched a PCB board or two myself, but never a multi-layered board. This circuit isn't so complicated that it would need to be done that way anyways.  I see a bunch of the boards are just pre-amp circuits, and maybe some specialized tone circuits.  He may have a big selecter switch buried somewhere in there.  I don't have access to a PCB etching machine or materials anymore. I would have used proto-board just as he did. It's a very well executed wiring job. :icon_biggrin:

Firebird said:
I don't have access to a PCB etching machine or materials anymore.

Well, there are three other ways to do it.

Number one is to design a PCB board and have a PCB etching service make you the boards based on the file you send in.
Number two is to do it like a Tshirt and print your PCB traces onto transparency paper, iron it onto the PCB board, then etch it in Ferric Chloride.
Number three is to do it the old fashioned way and hand draw the traces with a pen and then etch in Ferric Chloride.

Copper clad board and Ferric Chloride can be easily found.

Disco Scottie said:
Is there a thread that explains this... this... thing?

Here's the thread I got the pic from.  Wyliee's on the end of page one, but look at the beast on page 3.
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=8199.0

BTW, terminal blocks w/out tinned wire are exactly how neutrik cables are wired.  They do fine and carry much more current and handle more abuse.  They do fine, but the terminal blocks are a bit bigger.  I've some control terminating, and they usually have those itty bitty terminal blocks.  We never tinned the wire, but one guy found it was easier to get the wire to stay if he crimped on a stack-on and broke the fork off.

Back