RD build is underway! DONE!

I know, I know: it doesn't exist until there are posted pics; those are coming soon, took a bunch last night during the unboxing, so when I get home from work, I'll do a few edits & throw them up.

It took me longer than I would have hoped to have it all in hand: I suddenly had to replace my roof (rather important in the Puget Sound region, even in summer) - stupid homeownership!  Anyway, the deets:

- Warmoth pre-routed mahogany body blank, w/ 2 HBs (a Seymour Duncan PhatCat and a Carvin S22b), recessed TOM/angled holes, rear routed.  Gorgeous wood - I had planned on dyeing/staining it cherry and going for a burst edge, then a TruOil finish.  But this coloring & grain pattern are so fantastic I might just do a grainfill, then straight to TruOil.  I have a few thoughts/questions on finishing, but those will go up in the DIY finish forum.  The body shape is planned to be a Gibson RD at this point, though now, looking at the body blank, and not yet having done the photoshop work on my template (since I don't have an actual RD to create one from), I may have to alter it a bit; the blank may not be long enough.  In that case, the final result will probably be something like an "Exarrghdeebird" (Explorer/RD/Firebird) - best said w/ a pirate accent.  :icon_jokercolor: As they say, measure (and draw, sketch, revise, etc) twice (or 2 or 3 dozen times), cut once.  I suspect it will be a while before I get a final shape.

- Warmoth 24.75 conversion scale LP neck, '59 roundback profile, 1 11/16" width (the wider option) mahogany, 6130 frets, Indian rosewood board, no inlays.  This thing is thick - and very solid.  If my brother (for whom I'm building this guitar) doesn't like it, I can easily use it as a bludgeon to smite zombies.  The wood is super figured - looks like a total of 4 pieces of mahogany (3 on the shaft, 1 on the headstock scarfjoint), and one very nicely figured fretboard - this is a nice piece of rosewood that I would have paid an upcharge for.  It looks like my wife's version of my mom's recipe for brownies, and is no less drool inducing.

- SD Phatcat P-90 in a humbucker slot for the neck (never tried one, but lots of glowing reviews, heard some nice samples), and a Carvin S22b humbucker (ditto) for the bridge, and a 3 way switch between the two.  My brother's guitars get used in church leading worship/backing a gospel choir, and playing lead guitar for a indy/pop/[insert your personal fav "rock" genre here] band, so it needs a good balance of jangle & crunch.  I'm not quite skilled enough w/electronics to do anything more complicated, otherwise, I might have gone for 2 HBs with coil taps.

- Carvin hardware (tuners, pots, knobs, jack, wiring & shielding kit, capacitor, etc), Gotoh TOM bridge.  Aside from the Japan made Gotoh bridge, and whatever parts Carvin might source from overseas, it's an entirely MIA guitar.  Not that I'm ethnocentric about American made stuff, but I do like the idea of buying from companies that pay a living wage.  I'm not terribly comfortable with the idea of Chinese/Indonesian sweatshop products (not to mention that they tend not to be the highest quality instruments), even though I have plenty of stuff out of there already (thanks a lot, American production outsourcing!  :()   Feel free to ignore any potential economic flamebait & talk about cool guitars.   :toothy10:

Also: aside from Jens (see here: http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=9147.0), anyone know of any non-Gibson RD builds?  Like, from another manufacturer copying/riffing off the Gibson design?  

HomerDrooling.jpg

Mmmm.... Zombie-smiting necks...

Y'know... if the guitar-building gig doesn't work out, you could get a job with the crew that does Robot Chicken or Moral Orel... <grin>

Actually, they're not making any more Moral Orel episodes, so scratch that. Sad.

This is interesting. I didn't know you could buy pre-routed blanks. I'd have thought that if anything, you could get unrouted bodies. Are you aware that you can buy templates for the various cavities and joints you find in traditional bodes from places like Stewart-MacDonald's? They're pretty reasonable.

Cagey said:
Are you aware that you can buy templates for the various cavities and joints you find in traditional bodes from places like Stewart-MacDonald's? They're pretty reasonable.

I actually did know that, but I've nigh-unto zero experience with a router, and no convenient access to one.  Buying a used one & practicing a whole lot on scrap was an option, but I figured that the pre-rout would save me the most hassle.  I now realize that the firebirds (and thus, the RD body) are routed a bit differently: with the neck pocket moved closer to the "top" of the blank.  I have a friend who does custom cabinet work as a side job, so I'll get his advice, and play around with Photoshopping a few ideas before I make a decision. I'm considering cutting an inch or two off the "top", near the neck pocket, and gluing to the bottom of the blank, then cutting the rough shape from there.  I'm hoping that with my friend's wood cutting/joining skills, and with the dark burst edge, I'll hopefully be able to hide that joint.  If that's not going to be doable, I'll just see if I can't photoshop up something vaguely RD/Firebird-ish, and go from there.

Cagey said:
Y'know... if the guitar-building gig doesn't work out, you could get a job with the crew that does Robot Chicken or Moral Orel... <grin>

Thanks!  :icon_biggrin: My stop motion skills aren't too terrible when I try hard, but I don't have the patience to make something up to the quality of Robot Chicken or even Gumby.  For this one, I just moved the pieces a little each time and clicked; no real effort to match the lighting & coloration (which takes a LONG time).

Cool video, reminds me of...
[youtube=425,350]N1tTN-b5KHg[/youtube]

Will be an interesting project to see develope... :icon_thumright:

So here's a rather quick mockup of what it would look like to change the shape of the RD to fit the body blank.  I think it's a little....

Well, the file name says it all.  :dontknow:

I'll play with the freehand & see if I can't get something more palatable, otherwise, it looks like I'm going to take off 2 3/8" off the section near the neck pocket, and move that to the bottom, then cut a proper RD shape from there.    :-\ 

That Peter Gabriel song, btw, is not only a huge inspiration to my amateur stop-motioning self (AWESOME video), but has pretty much my favorite bassline of all time.

Max said:
Could you glue some more mahogany to the bottom?

That's exactly what I was thinking, just a straight line across the very edge of the neck pocket (between 2 1/2 and 2 3/8" from the top edge) and glue it to the bottom, wait a few days with some clamps, then take it to the bandsaw.  However, I need the assistance of my cabinetmaking friend (and his vastly superior set of tools) before I can even try it out.  I'm still playing with shapes in photoshop, so I might go for something else - stay tuned!

Cool, I´m looking forward to seeing this take shape.  :toothy10:
I got my version done and have been using it for quite some time now. It plays good and sounds great, but cosmetically I failed horribly.
Am planning a re-make since I already have all the parts and have learned some valuable lessons along the way, how to use a router etc.

I know a company here in Sweden that has designed a RD-copy which can be bought in their chain of stores, but it´s quite far off from the original and not something I´d buy.
http://www.jam.se/produkt/Gitarr-el/A47659-Mean-Dracul.jam

Jens!  One of my inspirations!
Jens said:
I got my version done and have been using it for quite some time now. It plays good and sounds great, but cosmetically I failed horribly.
Am planning a re-make since I already have all the parts and have learned some valuable lessons along the way, how to use a router etc.

Dude - PICS!!!!! Pretty Please. Even if you think it looks terrible, it's probably going to look amazing to many of us (esp if you take pics that don't pick up the flaws that you might notice because you built it.)  Seriously, though - when I saw your thread a while ago, I was really bummed there weren't pictures of the final product.  What you'd had up to then was quite cool.

Jens said:
I know a company here in Sweden that has designed a RD-copy which can be bought in their chain of stores, but it´s quite far off from the original and not something I´d buy.
http://www.jam.se/produkt/Gitarr-el/A47659-Mean-Dracul.jam

Interesting!  The look is a bit too "Scandinavian Metal" for me (no pun intended  :glasses10: ), but I love that shape.  I can't quite figure out the pricing on that - that's not Euros is it?  The description (thank you Google translate!) says Indonesian mahogany & EMG Select p/u, so it can't be super high end.

This weekend, I had a nice long conversation about wood carving/shaping/finish with my friend who does custom furniture & cabinets (he's not a lifelong pro, but definitely knows his stuff), and the basic conclusion is that I'm much better off photoshopping up a similar shape & cutting from there.  Slicing the end of the top of the body blank & gluing it to the bottom just can't be done without showing, and I'd really like for this instrument to have a natural-ish finish. I played around with some more shapes, but I'll do some more morphing tonight, and have a final shape/first cut later this week.

So the lesson here, folks: if you want to cut an RD body shape from a body blank, start with a totally unrouted blank, and move the neck pocket rout as close to one end as possible.

After some more goofing around in photoshop (including a few other body designs; LPs, LP Jr, Explorer, etc), I've nailed it down to the below shape.  It's about as close to the RD shape as I could manage while keeping to the body blank.  Off to get it printed full size, traced, and cut later this week.  More pics (and video) to follow.

Looks good to me except I would like more high fret access if it were my guitar. I hope this isn't a problem for you.

Back