RD build is underway! DONE!

I just want to say that you are one awesome brother!  :toothy10:

This is a great looking build, I'm looking forward to seeing how the finish turns out.

Finished the neck - a total of 3 coats on the back, rubbed with 0000 steel wool to a smooth satin, about 10 coats (not totally sure, kinda lost count) on the headstock.  Pulled out the drill to put in the tuner holes, a few buffs with a really soft cloth & it's done, waiting for the body to catch up.

Had to put it together & [gently] put in the pickups for a test fit...  depending on how the next coat on the body comes out, I'd say I'm about 2 weeks away from plugging it in. 

:party07: :guitaristgif: :guitarplayer2:

Lots of polishing & rubbing & drilling & screwing & fitting & whatnot later... almost done. 

I had a good solid 2 hours to work on it tonight (one advantage of a sick kid: early bed time!), got almost everything done except the wiring.  I need a few more hours to clean up the control holes & get the wiring done, then it's time for the set up & tweak rundown over the next few days.  The first pic makes it look far more red than the real color - I should have time on Wed or Thursday to get lots of glamor shots of the finished product in all it's glory.  It's hard to tell in these shots, but this thing is pretty!

I haven't been keeping up with this build, but damn, it's looking good.  The body shape you hit upon has an incredibly balanced look with the neck attached.  Really works well together.  Can't wait to see the fully wired money shot!

This is looking cool! Its taking me some getting used to the shape, but I love just about anything mahogany.

P.S. that jack thing you did is pretty awesome! is it at all flimsy or anything when you pull on it? like taking the cable out?

rapfohl09 said:
that jack thing you did is pretty awesome! is it at all flimsy or anything when you pull on it? like taking the cable out?

I've yet to try it out, but will do so when I get it wired up.  It's actually a trick I saw done on this board (can't recall who's build, though - any one remember?), and I might end up sticking some washers or something behind the control plate to anchor it better, but it seems to be in there pretty solid.

smjenkins said:
The body shape you hit upon has an incredibly balanced look with the neck attached.

Thanks! I like it a lot more than I expected to - the LP style headstock & mahogany finish give it a lot more of a traditional look, but the shape itself would (IMO) look pretty cool with a solid white finish, maple fretboard & a KWS headstock.  Speaking of balanced, I really lucked out & got the strap button placement right the first time - it balances very well on a strap, despite weighing a ton (note to self: find out weight).

Final wiring & set up should happen tonight, sound samples & pics done over the next few days.  I may not be able to get them posted before Saturday, though - my brother will be visiting from LA on Friday, so I can't very well have his surprise birthday present laying around?  :glasses10:  He'll be in town to drive our Dad's van back down to CA (my Dad drove it up to WA with a bunch of tools & supplies for rennovating my new/old house), and I've got a plan to sneak the guitar aboard the van in among the boxes of left over furnace gear & tools.

:toothy12:

I got distracted by a bunch of stuff - haven't quite had the time to post as much or work on the guitar, but it's done!

Gallery pics here.

Packed it up in a hardshell case & shipped it down to my Dad's place on saturday, so my brother will get it on his birthday this sunday.  :icon_biggrin: :guitarplayer2:

'Tis a fine, fine thing you have built. Your brother is going to be ecstatic.

Back