Planning for 2-humbucker Strat

Bruce Campbell

Looking to make my 2nd Warmoth, here are the proposed specs.

Strat Tiltback Gibson Scale Conversion Neck
Q-sawn maple shaft/fretboard
1 11/16" nut width
9.5" radius
22 frets
SS6105 fretwire
Fatback
Hipshot locking open-gear tuners
Bone nut
Black dot fretboard/side inlays

Strat body
Mahogany w/quilted maple laminate top
Rear rout
(UPDATE: Seymour Duncan Saturday Night Specials, neck & bridge
OR Dimarzio Minibuckers neck & bridge)
2 pots + Freeway switch
Hipshot fixed bridge

Tru Oil finish

I am choosing these specs based on experience and also from the relevant shootouts Aaron's posted on YouTube. I don't have a maple/maple neck on a guitar - just a P-Bass - but in that shootout I preferred the tone and immediacy of maple/maple to maple/rosewood, which I already have on other guitars.

The part I'm still trying to decide is the electronics. I've been considering a ton of stuff including Dimarzio Minibucker/Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates combo but currently most interested in the Duncan '78 and Saturday Night Special pickups. Probably going to wire for both series and parallel within each pickup rather than split, so I retain hum cancellation, and also a 6-way Freeway Switch.

So, this will be a pretty basic, but hopefully very versatile LP-voiced guitar with the ergonomics of a Strat. In keeping with that thinking, the '78s seem appropriate...anyone have experience with either set of pickups?

Last edited:
After some discussion with Seymour Duncan support and more listening, the Saturday Night Specials seem like the way to go. The '78 are totally EVH but I want more of a classic, versatile vibe. SNS are right between classic PAF and overwound/modern sounds.

You have two opposing goals. LP voice and "snappy maple tone" the shorter scale length will defeat the snap of the maple and the snap of the maple even at the shorter scale length with not get you in the LP voice territory IMO.

You have two opposing goals. LP voice and "snappy maple tone" the shorter scale length will defeat the snap of the maple and the snap of the maple even at the shorter scale length with not get you in the LP voice territory IMO.
Good. I don't want a strict LP sound, if I wanted that I'd spec it exactly like an LP. Perhaps the idea it'll be LP-voiced is presumptuous, but I assume it'll still sound more like that than a Strat.

My recommendation, when it comes to neck scales and widths is to get what feels comfortable rather than the sound. You can always get close to what you're looking for in terms of sound, choice of pick-ups, pedals etc. .... but if the neck is too small, you're not going to play it.

My recommendation, when it comes to neck scales and widths is to get what feels comfortable rather than the sound. You can always get close to what you're looking for in terms of sound, choice of pick-ups, pedals etc. .... but if the neck is too small, you're not going to play it.
Yeah, I'm going with the Gibson scale for comfort, because my other Warmoth (Strat) is that for the same reasons. It does happen to be the actual LP scale, but that's not 100% why I'm choosing it. After watching Aaron's Les Paul video again, it does seem like this would be in the LP ballpark, more than Strat or anything else, but we'll see how it turns out. The fact it's not Tune-O-Matic bridge with stop tailpiece will be a difference, too, along with body size/routing and the neck. I'm cool with it if the maple neck/fretboard brightens & tightens up the tone a bit.

Have you considered doing a carved top soloist body? Still achieving the double cut Strat vibes and feel against your body. I've always preferred arch tops with Tune-o-matic bridges. You've already got the left hand familiarity with the scale length...

Have you considered doing a carved top soloist body? Still achieving the double cut Strat vibes and feel against your body. I've always preferred arch tops with Tune-o-matic bridges. You've already got the left hand familiarity with the scale length...
I would consider certain other body options if they had the typical Strat stuff available, but I want to base the guitar on Strat control placement and American Standard bridge style. Not really into TOMs unless they have individually adjustable saddles. I'd still rather have a string through body fixed bridge.

I would consider certain other body options if they had the typical Strat stuff available, but I want to base the guitar on Strat control placement and American Standard bridge style. Not really into TOMs unless they have individually adjustable saddles. I'd still rather have a string through body fixed bridge.

You could certainly get Strat controls and bridge types on a carved top soloist.

You could certainly get Strat controls and bridge types on a carved top soloist.
Excellent, I did not realize that. I've messed around with the build wizard a few times and didn't find that option, but now will be exploring that.

One thing I'm working on at this point is cost - I'm not so dead set on the body wood needing to be hog/maple cap, or neck needing to be quarter sawn, and I'm kinda debating a full set of the Dimarzio Minibuckers. The Duncan SNS build that I have been laying out here might end up a separate thing.

In other words, looks like I'm actually planning 2 builds, not 1! Typical guitar player.

So, this will be a pretty basic, but hopefully very versatile LP-voiced guitar with the ergonomics of a Strat.
Press on Bruce!
I am very happy with my Warmoth HH Strat style with Gibson scale maple neck.
It produces a very sweet “jazz” type tone but does have a little strat snap…key word “little”. If you mount the humbucker in the bridge position, you may get a bit more. Honestly, I get all the warmth and all the bite I want. Of course, that’s me…
All this with the comfort of a short scale and strat style body.
I went with the Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM type wiring (common to many other Ibanez models), slightly modified. Series/parallel on the neck along with one coil from each in another position.
Very versatile.

Attachments

• Latest.jpg
    Latest.jpg
    760.2 KB · Views: 14
Press on Bruce!
It produces a very sweet “jazz” type tone but does have a little strat snap…key word “little”. If you mount the humbucker in the bridge position, you may get a bit more. Honestly, I get all the warmth and all the bite I want. Of course, that’s me…
I went with the Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM type wiring (common to many other Ibanez models), slightly modified. Series/parallel on the neck along with one coil from each in another position.
Very versatile.
This guitar looks fabulous!

Reactions: xld
Press on Bruce!
Very versatile.
Very nice axe; the pickguard adds the right amount of bling IMO. Good tip also on the wiring; I might set it up so I can choose series or parallel BEFORE hitting the Freeway switch, unless that doesn't work as intended. I guess a switch or push-pull pot could work for that but need to do more research on best practices for this type of wiring.

Thanks…
I had three other wiring configurations.
-Standard 1V, 2T and DPDT for series/parallel
-Push Pull for series/parallel
-Stacked tone/volume pots and DPDT switches for series/parallel.
Nothing felt “right” until the current setup.
Be sure to think about the ergonomics and ease of use. I don’t gig much anymore but still find the “comfort and ease of use” factor makes a huge impact on the joy!

Kind of frustrated with my current Fralin Split Blade Blues output pickups at this point. They are certainly Strat-ish, but the in-between Dimarzio Minibucker type vibe (I am basing this partly on a few great-sounding jazz demos on YouTube) might be better for the majority of my playing situations. I already have a stock-pickups Fender American Standard Strat, so I have the sound covered in case I need it, and I was really let down tonight playing with a big band. Didn't have enough grunt/mids, although the comfort of the Warmoth allowed me to play ways I haven't before with a big band (high leaps etc.)

So I am probably going to try the Minibucker setup in a separate pickguard, and maybe just sell the other pickups. I don't really need ANOTHER guitar as much as I need this one to cover other ground, while still having a Strat setup available. But, if I find that the Minibuckers are cool but I would also like the current pickups still available in an axe, it's time to order another body & neck.

Also kinda thinking about defaulting the next build to alder if I like the Minibuckers but still desire these Fralins in another axe, because it'll match tonally and I think I am underestimating just how comfortable I find alder bodies to work with and play. I do like that they're both cheap and less endangered than exotic woods, although on an ecological level the question does inevitably arise: how soon on a large scale will we enjoy/transition to guitars made from non-wood materials?

Last edited:
It’s fun, aggravating and expensive to dial one in.
And just a great experience! I can’t help with single coil or single coil size humbuckers.
I am really happy with the jazz tone of the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary pickups. The series/parallel and coil splitting works really well also.
My D’Angelico Excell DC has a set of Semour Duncan ‘59’s that also nail a jazz tone and seem to get brighter than my Strat style build with the Dimarzios. I’m not planning to change either out.
As far as “non wood” materials…I’ve watched many YouTube videos by builders of guitars made out of other materials, most heavily supplemented with epoxy. Some pretty neat and creative stuff.
I’ve had a Martin acoustic with a “richlite” fretboard that was really nice…every bit as nice as ebony. Don’t know about longevity of the material. Then there are the carbon fibre acoustic guitars. I really like the tone of some of Rainsong guitars. I plan on owning one in the future. My “Lyrachord” Ovation was one of the best sounding amplified acoustics I’ve owned.
How will these materials be applied to the electric market remains in the future.
As far as hollow and semi-hollow body guitars goes, it seems that these kind of materials could easily be applied. I’d like to see a smaller semi-hollow 335 style made of carbon fibre. Maybe there’s one out there. I’ll poke around a bit!

not sure if you already used a freeway switch and know how it feels. my journey was similar to yours: how can i get 99 sounds out of 2 humbuckers. the invention is for sure cool and its a nice unit, but with 10 way freeway i ended up on stage always confused which gear i am in and delivering the wrong sound. :) parts of it is surely practise but it just so much more complicated than simpler switches, and to be honest, i anyway never used more than 3 or 4 sound combinations in the end. i now use 3 way switches with an autosplit in the middle. if thats too pure, a middle ground can be 5 way megaswitches where you can realize a lot of crazy stuff, but the freeway with the additional dimension has a huge fuckup potential on stage. just some food for thought.

I've played Travis bean (sp) guitars with aluminum necks and Adamas / ovation acoustic guitars made out of fiberglass and plastic and they all were / are excellent. Currently own two ovations and will never sell them.
I think it comes down to people just like wood. When wood becomes too expensive they'll move on.

not sure if you already used a freeway switch and know how it feels. my journey was similar to yours: how can i get 99 sounds out of 2 humbuckers. the invention is for sure cool and its a nice unit, but with 10 way freeway i ended up on stage always confused which gear i am in and delivering the wrong sound. :) parts of it is surely practise but it just so much more complicated than simpler switches, and to be honest, i anyway never used more than 3 or 4 sound combinations in the end. i now use 3 way switches with an autosplit in the middle. if thats too pure, a middle ground can be 5 way megaswitches where you can realize a lot of crazy stuff, but the freeway with the additional dimension has a huge fuckup potential on stage. just some food for thought.
I do already use Freeway switches, and while I see the potential pitfalls, I've been comfortable with it in practice - just not getting useful enough sounds in the series positions to pull off stuff that "needs" buckers. It's great for the neck/bridge and all 3 in parallel sounds, but I don't need 2 of the traditional Strat pickups setup. Finding that if I'm out there with 1 guitar in any ensemble situation, a bucker sound is much more reliable. For trios and recording situations, the single coils are a safer bet.

Thanks for the input folks. Certainly there are a lot of builders already doing stuff with alternate materials - Ovation being a significant builder in this regard. The casting/mold type builds seen by Burls Art and others are kinda more what I'm talking about. The aluminum neck build seemed intriguing in that it didn't require a truss rod. Martin is also doing a lot to introduce more sustainable materials - I haven't played many of those guitars but intend to more in the future.

Back