Mahogany Strat Build

Jack_H

While imbibing adult beverage and browsing Warmoth website, I came across a screaming deal of chambered strat with figured mahogany top that I just couldn't refuse. Here it is after six coats of Formby Tung Oil Finish in satin. Not terribly imaginative but I do like the look of natural wood grain. I like how the tremolo routing looks like a surprised face.

Now I am waiting for the neck from Warmoth.

IMG_3748.JPG
IMG_3749.JPG

That everything axe set is on my list of possible pick ups for my next project. I'll be following. I'm curious how that middle pick up matches with the others. What kind of pots are you using?
Looks good.

I actually bought the Loaded Pickguard and moved the parts over. It's a little cheaper than buying parts separately and I don't have to do any soldering.

Probably 250K pots, 22cap? ... still curious about how that middle pickup plays. I've found the regular JB to be stellar, and the 59 sort of like chicken, goes with everything. Are you using a 5 way switch? I'm thinking 500k pots, because I put them in everything.

Just got the neck, roasted maple with rosewood fretboard and Hipshot locking tuners. I put the neck on so I can drill holes for the pickguard. Once that's done I will finish the neck and put it all together. I really like the wavy headstock pattern. However, the bridge pickup and bottom pot seem to be rubbing against the routing. I hope they are not under undue pressure or interacting with the copper shielding.

IMG_3754.jpg

Usually I wait on drilling the pickguard holes until I've installed the bridge as it calms my ocd when it comes to having the strings line up. In terms of sound no difference it's just visual . Looks great!

Back