Problem with neck fitting in Warmoth LP body

Hooligan

I was trying to set a low action on my first Warmoth LP when I noticed this weird thing. The 18th fret is higher than 17th and 19th fret. Now when I bend a full step on the 16th fret, the string touches 19th fret and suddenly note jumps a half step higher. The problem dissapears if I set action a lot higher but obviously I don't wanna do that.

When I was first putting the parts together the neck screws didn't feel too tight. One screw even would'n stop turning. So I put small wood chips and glue in the neck and body holes, and very thin layer glue in the neck pocket. I really don't think that they could cause that kind of bump in the fretboard. The glue layer was really thin.

Any wild guesses what could cause this problem? The truss rod too tight?

Dude, you GLUED in your bolt on neck??? Not good...

Either way, having one or two high frets isn't totally abnormal at all. 

It almost looks like you used a long screw in the forward hole and actually un-seated the fret.  Did you use the contour heel screw set?

I'd be willing to bet that this person (like many) is under the impression that a "Les Paul" has to have a set neck with glue - because that's what a "Les Paul" is. Probably should have just bought a "Les Paul" in the first place.

I know that some professional guitar builders do that too for more solid construction and for better sustain.

It almost looks like you used a long screw in the forward hole and actually un-seated the fret.  Did you use the contour heel screw set?

Yes I used the contour heel screw set. I'm pretty sure I have right screws in right places. I think that a long screw in the forward hole would come through the fretboard...

Hooligan said:

I know that some professional guitar builders do that too for more solid construction and for better sustain.

Yes I used the contour heel screw set. I'm pretty sure I have right screws in right places. I think that a long screw in the forward hole would come through the fretboard...

If you're worried about sustain then why not buy a neck-through?
P.S. I've never heard of gluing in a bolt on neck could you give me a link to some of these builders?  :dontknow:

UTSC said:
Hooligan said:

P.S. I've never heard of gluing in a bolt on neck could you give me a link to some of these builders?  :dontknow:

Ditto, that's new to me...

I don't see how glue is going to add sustain..It's still connected with bolts....

Hooligan said:

I'm not worried about sustain. I used glue after I noticed that screws wouldn't hold the neck tight enough.

Zachary Hietala of Tarot uses both glue and screws in his guitars. He builds them with Finnish guitar builder named Ari Hentunen.

Soooooooooooo that's one? anybody else?

JamesL said:

That's where I get the idea. They've made lots of guitars for Zachary and obviusly with pretty good success as he uses them on tours and records. I'm sure google will find you more examples.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
Short Screws, toward the headstock
Long Screws, Toward the body, nearest the neck pickup.

Yeah, I know. I just checked and the screws are in right holes. So they are not causing this problem.

a little spot level and setup from your tech should take care of the high fret. I would take it to a reputable tech and have it checked out.

JamesL said:
Hooligan said:

I'm not worried about sustain. I used glue after I noticed that screws wouldn't hold the neck tight enough.

Zachary Hietala of Tarot uses both glue and screws in his guitars. He builds them with Finnish guitar builder named Ari Hentunen.

Eric clapton does that on his guitars i think, or used to do that.

personally i don't care that much about sustain, if the sound transfers well to the body (sometimes when i hit the low e on my bolt on warmoth LP i feel the bass vibrating so hard it's hard to have the guitar that close to me, coulden't be happier with the result!) then alles gute !

One screw even would'n stop turning.

Dude, you stripped the neck screws - do not attempt to fix this without acquiring much more knowledge, take it to someone who knows how to assemble guitars. He may be able to fix it, if he can get the neck unglued and plug the stripped holes.

Any wild guesses what could cause this problem? The truss rod too tight?

"Wild guesses" are a really, really bad way to go about this, unless you have bottomless pockets. Buy THIS book: Dan Erlewine's "Guitar Player Repair Guide."

Above all, stop right now, take a deep breath, and decide whether you want this guitar to work right. If so, you've got to learn a lot more about this stuff. Not trying to be mean or anything, just practical.

You stripped the neck bolt hole in the body, sad day :(

Stop gluing stuff, take it to someone who repairs guitars.  And never use a power screwdriver unless you're very careful!

Best of luck  :eek:ccasion14:

Back