Padauk and lace burl redwood build

djf67

A chunk of padauk cut out...

basicshape.jpg

...chambered....

chambered3.jpg

(don't worry about the router mark; it's taken care of)
..and topped with a lovely bookmatched redwood lace burl soundboard....

topon3.jpg

Going to get a straightforward oil finish after some ovolo-ing and comfort carving front and rear (there's ~ 5/8ths depth left at rear and I've allowed for forearm and tummy cuts).
I have a birdseye maple strat neck to go on and a set of SD P-Rails which are going to be mounted in the padauk 'plinths'.
Will update as it progresses if there's interest.

I always like the big ass out there projects! 

Have at it and keep us posted.  :headbang:

Looks like she's going to be a beauty!
Nice work and keep the pics a commin'  I will stay posted.
:kewlpics: :rock-on:

Thanks for the interest. I'll keep you updated.
BTW, here's a teaser for the next and final project; yup, that's spalted lacewood. Cool or mule?

spalted_lacewood_laminate.jpg

djf67 said:
Thanks for the interest. I'll keep you updated.
BTW, here's a teaser for the next and final project; yup, that's spalted lacewood. Cool or mule?

spalted_lacewood_laminate.jpg

Gotta love that top :headbang:
Very coooool...

djf67 said:
bbl4ck said:
Gotta love that top :headbang:
Very coooool...

Not just a top - it's all 2" thick (or more)

Wow, even cooler!  Did you design and construct that slab yourself or have someone else build it? 
Look great...

bbl4ck said:
Wow, even cooler!  Did you design and construct that slab yourself or have someone else build it? 
Look great...

Yes, it's some of the timber I've been collecting over the last six months or so. All separate pieces at the moment - they need edging and gluing to make a body blank. One of the pieces of lacewood is 4" square!
Eventually, I'll be selling off the other bits I'm not going to use.

Back on topic after my own hijack....
slow but forward progress.
I had to narrow down the Stewmac neck template quite a bit for my Strat neck, which has a 55mm heel. I used two layers of veneer held with double sided tape - worked a treat. Pocket is ~ .720 mod that warmoth do, matched to my heel depth.
I've used a single layer of veneer on the humbucker templates, too, as they were also way too big.
I've found some lovely maple (or bubinga or walnut) pu surrounds and plan to use some of those now.
I've also done the control cavity rout and will use a piece of walnut for the cover - an offcut from the originally-planned top for this.

090725_routed.jpg

That looks fantastic.
Great build and tanks for the picks!

James

Thanks, guys.
Slow progress as I've been on holiday. I also have to work outside so the typical British Summer has curtailed work, too.
I've thinned the back of the body under the bridge from 51 to 44mm to aid in drilling the mount holes through. The drill points are also at a reach greater than most (inexpensive) pillar drills have so I'm having to do some creative thiking on that one. I made a control cavity cover in walnut but had chip out on the end so it's scrap  :( - walnut sure is brittle.

Back