Burl Mooncaster Bass

ghotiphry

Yeah!  A burl bass has been my dream guitar for quite some time.  And now, it's on order.  No f-holes on this, I couldn't bring myself to put them in this top.  I've noticed that most burl guitars use black hardware.  I think I'm going chrome. Hardware is interchangeable anyway.  If I don't like the chrome, there's always ebay.  No concept drawings as yet.

I went with roasted alder as a core wood.  I'm thinking it will be a nice compliment when finished clear with the burl.  No idea what I'm going to pair it with for a neck.

Model: Hollow Carved Top Short Scale Mooncaster Bass
Orientation: Right handed
F-Holes: None
Scale: 30" or 32"
Wood: Camphor Burl on Roasted Alder
UC Front Laminate: LT2846
Rout: Rear Rout
Pickup Rout: TV Jones Thunder'Tron with Ears (Neck), , TV Jones Thunder'Tron with Ears (Bridge)
Controls: -Tog-V-V-T-T-X (Mooncaster)
Bridge: Hipshot D-Style String-Thru
Stud Install: Use inserts from bridge on order
Jack Rout: 3/4" (19mm) Side Jack Hole
Neck Pocket: Standard Bass Pocket
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Contours: Contoured Heel / Tummy Cut
Binding: Cream Binding
Top Finish: Clear
Back Finish: Clear
Finish Type: Gloss Finish

yJ4Gs2b.jpg

I'm looking forward to this build. The roasted alder will be a good one for weight and tone (slight but still there with a solid body IMO).

As to a neck, something plain so it doesn't compete with the body for your attention. Roasted maple may be just be the right color, too.

Thank you, guys.

A couple quick and dirty concept mockups.  I keep coming back to my pau ferro, but I only have the one of those.  It's on the flame maple, and I hate to break up that mojo.  The other is a wenge/ebony that I have as well.  I tried roasted maple, it didn't do much for me.  I think ebony or something darker than RM.

U5lrP4f.jpg

j4jWPI6.jpg

The burl has a slight reddish tint. It would be nice to have the neck carry that out. The pau ferro neck does that and I expect a rosewood neck would also.

That said, the ebony/wenge combination is fine with it, too.

There is only one unique choice of bloodwood fretboards in the builder, and it is too light for my tastes.  I don't really think I will be ordering a new neck until the body comes in, anyway.  Anything for the moment is speculation.

I didn’t mean a bloodwood fretboard but a bloodwood neck. Perhaps paired with an ebony fretboard. I was thinking about Rgand’s comment about the reddish tinge.
Like the one I got for my 7/8 Tele:

148094619190671600_resized.jpg

I'd like black Ebony against that body. Nothing else is gonna match right, and anything with any fancy grain/color to it is gonna draw the eye away from that body. Can't have that. The body's the star here.

I'm starting to get really, really excited.  No shipping notice yet.  Take your time, W.  Do me proud.

I'm starting in earnest to think about a neck.  A while back (two years!) Aaron found me a hunk of pau ferro that was languishing in Ken's garage.  Cagey you probably remember the end results.  I sent Aaron an email asking if there was another hunk just sitting around.  We will see.  My idea is this: pau ferro neck with black ebony fretboard.  Here's a cut and pasted mockup using my existing PF short scale headstock.

bpwO86E.jpg

jQFwIsb.jpg

I like the bloodwood, but I don't think that will work for me, at least not for this one.  Nice suggestion, Logrinn, thank you.

At this point I'm not ruling anything out.  Black hardware?  Chrome hardware?  IDK.  Get them both.  See what looks best.  I'm even going to order a black bridge.  Can't do much about the TV jones pickup covers as they don't come in black, but that's okay.  Pickups?  Yeah, gotta go with the Thunder'Trons that are on the flame moon.

I'm starting to collect parts.  As usual, the Fender f-stamp tuners are on order, which also only come in chrome.  Doesn't matter, those have to be here.  Also ordered a detuner, which is apparently a custom order that takes 4-8 weeks to get.

IMG_6437.jpg

I have a set of chrome PU rings.  Ordering a set of black ones.  I think probably black on the rings, regardless on whatever else.  The knobs I always have on hand in black and chrome, just in case they stop making them.  I'm leaning toward black controls.  Black switch tip on it's way.  It's a pity that switchcraft doesn't make a black 3-way switch.

On that note, anyone know of a good 3-way in black?

Gotta think about a neck plate.  Hm...

This is going to be my most expensive build to date.  :-\  But this will be my show stopper.

That will look good with either chrome or black. BUT! What about black chrome? I've seen tuners and parts in that and it would look really good on your build. Schaller makes tuners in black chrome. Other parts are also available in that finish.

s-l500.jpg

Yeah, I've considered and tried other tuners.  I don't like the Hipshot ultralights, they're too wobbly.  The Fender ones I like and use are so solid.  If they made them in black chrome, I would buy them.  But they don't, so I can't.  I think I'll probably stick with the chrome Fenders.  Besides, Warmoth pre-drills the mounting holes on short scale bass necks by default.

Schaller has something new that I rather like, except that you can't get it with a clover key.  And it has different mounting peg locations.
%2524_57__97376.1538494724.1024.768.jpg

There are also these, which have the same mounting locations.  That might be worth a shot...  However, I think these are an older version and not easily available.
bmlight_l-jpg.2273861

Edit: I stand corrected, those are the same ones that Warmoth has.  Hm... Maybe.  I still wish they had clover keys.

ghotiphry said:
I'm starting in earnest to think about a neck.  A while back (two years!) Aaron found me a hunk of pau ferro that was languishing in Ken's garage.  Cagey you probably remember the end results.  I sent Aaron an email asking if there was another hunk just sitting around.  We will see.  My idea is this: pau ferro neck with black ebony fretboard.  Here's a cut and pasted mockup using my existing PF short scale headstock.

I do indeed remember that hunk of lumber. To call it beautiful would be an understatement.

In this case, I think your instincts are right with black Ebony over another hunk of Pau Ferro neck meat. That body should have no competition, and few things feel as good as burnished Pau Ferro, regardless of appearance. Although, roasted Maple can be made that fine in texture. So, Ebony face, Pau Ferro neck meat? Ambrosia.

Roasted maple will actually likely be my second choice, although I'm mulling over indian rosewood.  I just wish I could pick the neck meat.  I don't supposed "the darker the better" as a request would be an option?

Have you ever had your hands on a full indian rosewood neck?  Any idea how it feels?

I have one. Beautiful piece. It's been burnished, and it feels great, but it's no roasted Maple or Pau Ferro. Not sure what it's going to sound like, it's not installed yet.

Thanks Kevin.  Tactile experience is partly why I'm backing off of the QS wenge neck that's in the showcase.  I like the one I got just fine (ebony board) but it's not PF.

I'd prefer going darker than roasted maple as a neck meat for a bit more contrast between the neck and the back of the body, which is roasted alder.

I can't believe I'm actually considering gold pickup covers... But I like it.  Anyone else have an opinion?

papmuZE.jpg

And I just heard from Aaron, they do, in fact, have a suitable neck blank or two!  Stay tuned.

ghotiphry said:
I can't believe I'm actually considering gold pickup covers... But I like it.  Anyone else have an opinion?

papmuZE.jpg
I like the idea. It keeps up with the warmth of the body.

Back