Burl Mooncaster Bass

Progress, finally.  Wiring harness is done.  I've taken a completely new approach to this based on something I saw Cagey post.  Please give me your unabashed opinion.  After I was finished I realized I didn't have to worry about working around any f-holes, so a couple runs are a bit longer than they need to be.  Also added a ground wire for the bridge after the pic.  Did quick connectors for the bridge ground wire and pickups hot and ground.  I was able to test it, all looks to be functioning.  I did get some hum out of it that I wasn't expecting.  I have noticed that the TV Jones filter'tron style pickups to have some hum to them, even though they are billed as humbuckers.  I double checked everything, I don't think it's a grounding issue.  I'll see what happens when it's properly installed.

JeqGJKR.jpg

This was my base diagram, LP/SG wiring but blendable, with independent treble cuts.

full

Nice job! That should be super-quiet, unless the pickups themselves are noisy. I don't remember Filtertrons being that way, but I haven't used many of them so my memory may be off.

ghotiphry said:
I just wish I could pick the neck meat.  I don't supposed "the darker the better" as a request would be an option.........
Can't hurt to ask! Anyway, some of their roasted maple is pretty dark...
oDsl5qA.jpg

Thanks guys.  Is it actually good, or are you just saying that to make me feel better about myself and my wiring?  You have anything similar that I can look at to compare?  Anything i should be doing differently?  This arrangement just made sense to me, and it may be that I can improve?

BigSteve22 said:
ghotiphry said:
I just wish I could pick the neck meat.  I don't supposed "the darker the better" as a request would be an option.........
Can't hurt to ask! Anyway, some of their roasted maple is pretty dark...
oDsl5qA.jpg

That sure is a pretty piece, Steve.  I think I may be set in the neck department.  The pf/pf one I have is staying with the clear flame job.  I took the pf/ebony and slapped it on the brown burst.  (More on that later, depending on how this whole thing shakes out.  But, it seems to like it there.)  I also bought a qs wenge/wenge piece that's very nice.  So it will be either wenge/ebony or wenge/wenge.  I'm not sure yet which one will end up finding a home with this burl.  I'm also watching the showcase for new necks, just because I've got the worst case of gas.  I'm really loving mooncasters right now.  The next one I do will either be black with white binding or white with black binding (maybe!)  I haven't decided yet on that either!  I'm trying to slow things down a bit.  My wife is starting to talk about me behind my back.

It really is that good. I don't think it gets any better than that. If everybody wired that way, you'd never hear about shielding cavities with foil or conductive paint, neither of which work as well. If you still hear noise, it's gonna be from the pickups or something external like your cord, sfx or amp.

Something doesn't seem quite right with that wiring... double ground, aka ground loop... on the one tone pot... Not sure on the result there....

Wait, what?  Oh, are you talking about the line running from the bridge volume to the 3-way?  Maybe this is a better view?

jNBEleY.jpg

Ah.... Yep that was it. In the first picture I thought it was soldered to the pot and then something else coming off the end connection on the pot.  Now I see it just ran under the pot in the photograph.  Whew... Had me worried for a second!  Thanks for clearing that up!!

I skipped some steps for a true build thread.  It's complete.  I'm reserving judgement on how she plays until she's had some time to decide to be a guitar.  More on that later.  At first glance these pickups seem mighty hot to me.  Not sure if it's a good thing yet.  She's sporting the wenge/ebony neck right now.

U8VvY4z.jpg

oVRqk6N.jpg

NvapjrF.jpg

Thanks Rgand!  I started lamenting not having the f-holes cut, but it's too late for that.  I'm not sure it would have added to things.  I guess I will never know.  She is who she is, anything not right is my fault, not hers, ya know?

Absolutely gorgeous! I'm envious, and I don't even play bass! And don't lament the lack of spider houses - it's cleaner/prettier without them.

Knowing how those things are made, I'm surprised to see that Camphor Burl - that must have put a real hurt on your credit card!

Thank you, also, KG!

Yes, yes it did.  I don't know if you guys remember how this all started, but there was a guy who joined up and posted a single post, which essentially said, "that's great, but does it come in burl?"  And I said, "if it came in burl, i'd buy that."  And then AA said, "oh, it comes in burl."  And that was that.  I'd always wanted one in burl, anyways.

Can you imagine what something like that would cost from PRS? Be one of those "special stock, private selection, 10-top" units that would run $12K!

ghotiphry said:
...I started lamenting not having the f-holes cut, but it's too late for that....
She looks great just as she sits! Beautiful work, Brother.  :icon_thumright:

ghotiphry said:
Well, when you put it like that, I got a bargain.
Indeed. You need to get some pics of that with you wearing it in front of your rig. One of a kind. You're not just the first kid on your block, you're the first kid in your state, quite likely even wider. Mooncaster all by itself is rare enough - but a bass? With a burl top? Fuhgeddaboudit!

Back