One more for the road

Plus the thing with recessed knobs is thy are permanently "at recess" and won't likely be ready to do their job when you need em.

I decided to do a tummy cut after all.

I realized that I needed to deepen the control route so that the pots could go through all the way. Used a Dremel grinding bit to further deepen the route cavity around the switch.

Sanded to 400 and applied the first coats of Tru-oil to the top and the grain went wild!

IMG_1970 copy.jpg

IMG_1971 copy.jpg

IMG_1972 copy.jpg

IMG_1973 copy.jpg

Last edited:
So I applied several thick coats of Tru-oil until the wood stopped absorbing it, then did two "slurry coats" applying oil with 600 grit sandpaper and sanding as I go. This helps to fill the grain some and build thickness. After that dried I dry sanded lightly with 400 grit to smooth everything out. After this I will apply lots of thin coats. It looks pretty ugly right now, but I guess it's a "trust the process" moment.

IMG_1977 copy.JPG

I did a bit of a dumb today: the canary control cover was slightly cupped so I tried to correct this with clamps and snapped it in half down the middle...

This made me decide though to get a piece of ziricote to replace it, which I sort of wanted to do in the first place. (y)

Last edited:
I think I've applied the final coat Tru-oil! I meant to keep count my coats but lost track early on. I'd guess I've done around 20, and it's built a pretty high gloss; a little too much gloss for me actually. To me the combination of slight grain showing plus high gloss just looks weird, so I plan to let it dry for at least a few days and then buff it down to more of a satin/semigloss using Birchwood Casey "Stock Sheen".

6D40E683-0B6E-4914-942B-0A4924F30AB0 copy.JPG

Last edited:
Back