Oh, yes I did. (Neck choice complete, too.)

vikingred

Had to.

TTHW6OM.jpg

5JB0eMu.jpg

gqDXM1x.jpg

Koa Flame on MahoganyWhat??  :headbang4:

Will be getting a black Floyd Rose Original, single EMG 81 pickup in bridge, single black knurled volume knob, and all black hardware.  What neck though?  Flame maple, nitro finish?  Jumbo SS frets, half-scallop?

Heaux, Heaux, Heaux Henry Higgins.

I don't always buy guitar parts, but when I do, they're the most beautiful you can imagine.

raw

You see the guy in this video, who says "I love Koa" about ten times? That's me. I don't usually get jealous of our customer's purchases, but I am today. Please include me in your will. I'll PM you with my personal info.

[youtube]Hh5DBnRMtuQ[/youtube]

double A said:
You see the guy in this video, who says "I love Koa" about ten times? That's me. I don't usually get jealous of our customer's purchases, but I am today. Please include me in your will. I'll PM you with my personal info.

Dude.  It's so yours when I die!  This is perhaps the most beautiful guitar body I have ever seen in my life.  There's something rare and magical about it.  When I saw it on one of ya'lls Facebook posts, I couldn't believe my eyes.  I haven't built anything in a year.  I'm still sitting on my Mary Kaye build, have to send out for fretting (Tonar did an amazing job with the body and neck).

But this...this is one to top them all.  And you know I say that, and then they'll be another, and another.  That's what I love about Warmoth.  Just when you think you've seen it all..."check this out". 

Seriously though, fellas.  Neck ideas?  No solid Koa necks, I don't think.  Could do Flame roasted maple...definitely gonna do a half-scallop.  Just this once.  :laughing7:

Well, I definitely wouldn't want anything on the fretboard to compete with that body, so I'd be looking at jet black Ebony. Matches anything, takes away nothing, and feels fantastic. That's just the fretboard, though. For the neck meat, I'd seriously consider roasted Maple. In this case, the color would match that Mahogany nicely, too. Of course, you could get a Mahogany neck to match the Mahogany body, but then you'd lose some high end.

Cagey said:
Well, I definitely wouldn't want anything on the fretboard to compete with that body, so I'd be looking at jet black Ebony. Matches anything, takes away nothing, and feels fantastic. That's just the fretboard, though. For the neck meat, I'd seriously consider roasted Maple. In this case, the color would match that Mahogany nicely, too. Of course, you could get a Mahogany neck to match the Mahogany body, but then you'd lose some high end.

Definitely agree with this! Although, I would go regular Maple on the neck meat, with Vintage Tint Satin finish. And since vikingred has already confirmed that this guitar will be mine someday, shouldn't my opinion carry a little more weight?

Also, I have never liked the term Shaft Wood. I've instructed our web developers to change all references to "Shaft Wood" on the Warmoth site to "Neck Meat", effective immediately.

double A said:
Also, I have never liked the term Shaft Wood. I've instructed our web developers to change all references to "Shaft Wood" on the Warmoth site to "Neck Meat", effective immediately.

iYiptaw.jpg

I could take a vintage tint Maple neck, but Warmoth's vintage tint recipe has one or two drops too much red tint in the yellow on the way to creating amber, so it often has a slightly orange-ish hue to it. Depending on the underlying wood color, it can be more than slightly.

FYI...and this has been kept somewhat hush, hush...you may want to check out some of the Vintage Tint necks from the last month or two. You might like the color better.  :icon_thumright:

double A said:

:toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12:

double A said:
FYI...and this has been kept somewhat hush, hush...you may want to check out some of the Vintage Tint necks from the last month or two. You might like the color better.  :icon_thumright: 

Oh, yeah. Look at the difference...

VMT8137A.jpg

VMT8136A.jpg

Beautiful guitar indeed, incredible top and that mahogany is top shelf as well. For necks I'd agree with doubleA, except I'd go with roasted birdseye maple... :headbang1:

That's one of those tops you can stare at for hours. I agree on the vintage tint to go with it.  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Rgand said:
That's one of those tops you can stare at for hours. I agree on the vintage tint to go with it.  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Yeah, and pardon me for being Rorschach, but there are some lady parts in that laminate.  :redflag:

Flame Maple Neck Meat, Black Ebony Fretboard, SS6115 Frets, Full Scallop...

Vintage Tint Gloss or Vintage Satin Nitro???

That's a more individualized call. Some folks don't have the hands for gloss finishes. They either don't wash them enough or sweat too much or whatever, but gloss necks feel "sticky" to them. But, over time it's a more durable and consistent finish if you can live with it. Satin finishes feel nice at first, but due to wear they quickly become gloss finishes anyway, so it's not much of a solution for the not-so-dry-handed. If you prefer the feel of a satin finish, then a burnished raw neck is probably the better choice.

Not all species of wood can be left unfinished if you're making guitar/bass necks. For example, if you want Maple, it requires a hard finish unless it's been torrified (roasted). Otherwise, the risk of warp/twist is too high. Other species, such as Mahogany or Walnut, aren't generally available roasted so they're always finished.

Back