New video: I Built This Guitar to Play One Song! (Part One)

aarontunes

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Staff member
To be clear, the adversarial role depicted in the video between me and the Warmoth execs was just for funsies.  :icon_biggrin:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/EBW4XDj3sXE[/youtube]

TBH if I had any interaction with Phil X I'd say something along the same lines, too. He can play fine, but he's got to know that everyone watching him is thinking "yeah, okay... I still wish it was Richie." :laughing7:

Let me save you a little time and frustration, especially since taking the pickguard off and rewiring it will be a double-chore: wire those Cool Rails parallel if you want anything remotely approaching a single coil tone. In regular series wiring they are a bright-but-full humbucker tone, similar to a SD Sentient or Jazz, or DiMarzio PAF Pro and PAF Joe.
For future reference, anyone who wants a single coil tone but without the hum or the output drop between strings (especially useful for a 12-string) should try the SD Hot Stack (which actually isn't at all 'hot', despite the name and the DCR) or Vintage Rails, both of which use bar magnets/rails and are hum-cancelling but are voiced like barely-overwound Strat pickups. The CR wired parallel gets fairly close to the VR, though it still remains just a touch higher output and smoother, kind of in the P-90 ballpark.

'Course, you'll need to make a second double-neck for Have A Nice Day, too...

Unless you have to use pickups Warmoth sells I would go for DiMarzio Cruisers. They would be my first choice for noiseless, great pickups and inexpensive compared to boutique noiseless like Kinman. Zexcoils are also nice pickups and not really expensive, EMG singles can be crystal clean but they need a battery. From SD I would pick the STK-S4.

Ace Flibble said:

Somebody knows their Jovi tunes!  :headbang:

Have a Nice Day is easy enough to play on a single guitar, and nobody can tell the difference. Sounds just the same to most people. That's how I've been doing it for the last four years. Maybe once I have this double neck anyway I'll give it a try and see how those chords sound on a 12-string. Then I can play TWO songs on this guitar.

No way I'm building a second double neck though!  :icon_biggrin:

I could play Dead of Alive on a single guitar too, but it sounds super lame. That intro riff has gotta be a twelve, or go home.

Interested to see the forthcoming videos.

Do you plan on a switching scheme between the 12 and 6 necks or is that all taken care of by the 5 way as there are only three pickups total?

The Aaron said:
Ace Flibble said:

Somebody knows their Jovi tunes!  :headbang:

Have a Nice Day is easy enough to play on a single guitar, and nobody can tell the difference. Sounds just the same to most people. That's how I've been doing it for the last four years. Maybe once I have this double neck anyway I'll give it a try and see how those chords sound on a 12-string. Then I can play TWO songs on this guitar.

No way I'm building a second double neck though!  :icon_biggrin:

I could play Dead of Alive on a single guitar too, but it sounds super lame. That intro riff has gotta be a twelve, or go home.

Digitech's Mosaic pedal is a faux 12-string.  It's got some nice sounds in it, but I suppose it doesn't have the "stage presence" of a double-neck!  I've been meaning to try harmony pedal through a chorus as another avenue for faux 12 sounds...

stratamania said:
...or is that all taken care of by the 5 way as there are only three pickups total?

This, exactly. It will be wired up just like a typical three-pickup guitars....except two of the pickups are on one neck, and the one is on the other.

Zebra said:
Digitech's Mosaic pedal is a faux 12-string.  It's got some nice sounds in it, but I suppose it doesn't have the "stage presence" of a double-neck!  I've been meaning to try harmony pedal through a chorus as another avenue for faux 12 sounds...

I'll have to give the Mosaic a try sometime.

But as you say, half of being a rock star is rolling into the joint looking like a rock star. There's a reason I still drag my Marshall half-stack around, long after there's no reason to any more.  :headbanging:

Wait - No stars inlays?

Just kidding. That will be a really nice guitar. I love all your videos.

Have  atruly happy christmas time!

whoa #2necks1body

but only one output

Like others have mentioned, i also use my digitialTech Mosiac pedal for 12-string simulations! Well, i did, past tense. i had to sell it

any chorus pedal will do, lol. nobody in the audience who has had even a one alcohol can hear the difference.

Jebberz said:
Wait - No stars inlays?

Just kidding. That will be a really nice guitar. I love all your videos.

Have  atruly happy christmas time!

I thought about the stars, but in the end I figured I had already spent enough for one song! Haha!

Bon Jovi.................No Comment...............Nice Vid though.......... :icon_thumright:

If you claim you don't like Bon Jovi the only person you're fooling is yourself.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1mDD9g5ZBk[/youtube]

Please read the post again, never said I didn't like Bon Jovi. Didn't say I did like them. I said, no comment. But thank you for your input............ :icon_thumright:

That was a fun video. I do hope you will make another one to show us how that guitar sounds and looks when done.

Cool project, I love doublenecks, I have a Kramer double 6, top is acoustic bottom is electric. And once contemplated doing a Warmoth Tele double to match, but never followed thru...
2360637544_4bbb7423f4_c.jpg

2591403523_92ef810f8e_z.jpg

Part Two:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/68UR6bXBDTY[/youtube]

Haha....you're not the first to mention it today. Y'all are the ones with the accents.....not me!  :icon_biggrin:

Maysure? What's that aboot? All y'all have funny accents.

Back