YouTube/Spotify copyright algorithms will be the end of original music.

aarontunes

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Staff member
Trying to upload original music to streaming services is becoming increasingly ridiculous. Your music is compared to everything that's ever been recorded, and if the AI thinks it sounds too close you are blocked.

Twice now I've had my own original songs flagged for copyright violation and had to file a dispute for permission to monetize them.

Today I was uploading a new Warmoth video and it got flagged. It's a shootout between Thinline, Solid, and Chambered bodies. In one of the tests I strum four open chords and let them ring for two bars each. Open G, D, Am, Em. Four of the most basic open chords you can name.

My "work" was flagged for copyright violation, and I had to file a dispute so the copyright owner can review my video and decide whether it's infringes on "their work".

For those who care, here is the song I supposedly stole from:

The four chords I strum in my video bear 0% similarity to any part of that song, but now I must wait for their permission to proceed. Good grief.

Also in my video: a IV, V, I blues turnaround in the key of G that is used in roughly one billion songs was not flagged.

A Slayer cover of mine was immediately flagged by YT (which is fine by me), but my X-Japan cover--from the same batch of uploads--has slipped through untouched since Summer of 2020. Perhaps I just need to take my Visual Kei game to the next level. :unsure:

Yea youTube is pretty annoying that way. I've had my own music flagged as well, and it's bloody annoying.

A Slayer cover of mine was immediately flagged by YT (which is fine by me), but my X-Japan cover--from the same batch of uploads--has slipped through untouched since Summer of 2020. Perhaps I just need to take my Visual Kei game to the next level. :unsure:

I think it's because nobody but you, me, my wife, and my sister know who the hell X-Japan is. 😀

BTW, which X-J cover? I have "Rusty Nail" & "Weekend" in my Songsterr list of sheet music and built my Mockingbird specifically because of Hide.

There is too much censorship everywhere, and Aaron is right about it affecting genuine creativity. It’s all music and guitars over here 😎 no politics or drama.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's because nobody but you, me, my wife, and my sister know who the hell X-Japan is. 😀

BTW, which X-J cover? I have "Rusty Nail" & "Weekend" in my Songsterr list of sheet music and built my Mockingbird specifically because of Hide.
Art of Life

No, that's a joke. It was Kurenai, arguably their best song that isn't 29 minutes long.

A couple of years ago I uploaded an acoustic cover of a Roy Orbison song to Youtube... and it got flagged as "Bohemian Rhapsody"!! :rolleyes: The list of rights-holders was about two paragraphs long...

I got copyright claimed on a 200 year old song in the public domain. This one made me really angry because they specifically claimed the melody, which THEY DO NOT OWN.

There really needs to be consequences to false claims. Especially since you have no recourse - its completely up to the claimant.

Back