Kuro's Non-Warmoth PVX #2 - Tattoo

Kuro Uma

Ok so I really love the way my first PVX kit plays. So I ordered another. Paul and Loren were so kind to indulge my ridiculous requests again. This time I wanted a laminate flamed maple neck with a flamed maple fretboard and flamed top so I could go wild with the ink/dye tattoo idea. Here are some pics Paul sent me before it shipped and as he was working on it. I'm sharing these as a glimpse into the way he makes these beauties.

3xbq.jpg

5lsx.jpg

zue0.jpg

4mbx.jpg

kyy0.jpg

vmo4.jpg

a7xa.jpg

cbpw.jpg

Once again I'm impressed with the quality and craftsmanship Paul puts into these kits, well worth the money.
I got this one as a paddlehead again and forgot to take a before pic. I've already veneered the headstock and shaped it. But here are some pics I took after I got the kit.

rmgp.jpg

I couldn't keep it wet all over to see the figure but you get the idea.

n7ng.jpg

65sg.jpg

It still needs a lot of sanding but the figuring is very nice all around. I plan on covering the back with a 1/8th in. thick highly flamed maple as well. It will be all black hardware and loaded with a Bare Knuckles BlackHawk. I'll post more as I get more done. Hope you guys like.

Wow, anxious to see what you do with it!  :toothy10:
I love my BK Blackhawks!  :icon_thumright:

I like the contoured heel! Do you modify it at all or just leave it as is? Hard to top the Geisha project but I'm pretty sure that you'll do just that!

Raunline said:
I like the contoured heel! Do you modify it at all or just leave it as is? Hard to top the Geisha project but I'm pretty sure that you'll do just that!

I modify it from the way Paul cuts it. His is much like the PRS heel however.

Ok I got around to doing some of the tattoo work. I'm using these Prismacolor professional illustration markers for the art part of this. While searching for a way to make this dyeing thing easier I came across them. They are an alcohol dye in an Illustration marker. Sounded perfect for this. So far I think they are doing great. They soak into the wood like alcohol so the flame and figuring is still present. I got over 60 colors so I think this idea will work.

The pictures don't show the figuring as well but in the light you can tell it will pop once the clear is on it. Here is what I've got down so far.

I forgot to take a before pic. But I remembered after I started the skull.
ox1i.jpg

A little more done.
j64h.jpg

Ok, I'm tired and going to bed. I'll get more done tomorrow
id87.jpg

That's amazing - a true work of art!

Question: Does PVX not drill the bridges for their kits?  Measuring the exact placement of a TOM or wraparound would be rather hard for a lot of folks, esp compared to a flat top bridge.

ihnpts said:
That's amazing - a true work of art!

Question: Does PVX not drill the bridges for their kits?  Measuring the exact placement of a TOM or wraparound would be rather hard for a lot of folks, esp compared to a flat top bridge.

Thanks for comments guys. PVX will drill them if you order the bridge from them. That way its a perfect fit. For mine I already had both bridges. Getting the exact position is really quite simple.

Here is part 1 in Paul's video set on installing a TOM bridge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zabgw_RBC-I

I did the Geisha one this way and intonation is spot on.

WOWZA  :eek:  ..... that is freaking awesome  :toothy10:

This sure has my attention  :icon_thumright:

Loving this one, Kuro  :headbang:

More progress on the top. I've been very busy with work lately but I got back to work on this PVX last night.
Here's a shot after I'm done with the dyeing.
y6m7.jpg

It's hard to photograph to show the figuring but it comes through in person and moving it through angles of viewing.

Here it is with some sealer on it
vils.jpg

I'll start working on the neck here soon.

Back