Filling Holes on Figured Maple Top

Mojotoner

Hey everyone, I'm a newbie on this forum. I bought a flamed maple top guitar kit (I know, it was cheap) and it came with pre-drilled holes for a pick guard. The top is so nice I'd like to NOT install a pick guard and do a burst using dyes over the entire top but I'd need to fill in the holes an wondering if filling in the holes would stand out on the finished body, in other words, you would be able to see the filled holes. Does anyone have any experience on this and have an opinion? I suppose I could fill the holes, do the burst finish, and if the filled holes are obvious, then install a pick guard. Any thoughts? Recommendations? I've included a few photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0289 Small.jpeg
    IMG_0289 Small.jpeg
    35.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0288 Small.jpeg
    IMG_0288 Small.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 21
Sure you can fill the holes, but it most likely won’t match the grain. So 2 options: 1 forget about it. 2. Install decorative inlays.

You can’t make them disappear, so call them out making them a feature.

Sure you can fill the holes, but it most likely won’t match the grain. So 2 options: 1 forget about it. 2. Install decorative inlays.

You can’t make them disappear, so call them out making them a feature.
Thanks for the input - I agree but somehow hoping a miracle solution. I’m might try plugging the holes and if it’s too noticeable just install the pick guard

That is a crazy beautiful top. Filling the holes with MOP,or black to match the binding, would be like, when you see an architectural feature on a building, like a cornice on top of steel column, where you don't need a cornice, but you put something simple on top, to acknowledge what you would do if you had made a column out of stone, plus, it makes it look cool. Like giving a nod to history. It's not a "miracle solution", it's taking the whole design up a notch.

That is a crazy beautiful top. Filling the holes with MOP,or black to match the binding, would be like, when you see an architectural feature on a building, like a cornice on top of steel column, where you don't need a cornice, but you put something simple on top, to acknowledge what you would do if you had made a column out of stone, plus, it makes it look cool. Like giving a nod to history. It's not a "miracle solution", it's taking the whole design up a notch.
That’s a heck of a way to look at it. Thanks for the input - that’s a great idea ! Thank you

Hey everyone, I'm a newbie on this forum. I bought a flamed maple top guitar kit (I know, it was cheap) and it came with pre-drilled holes for a pick guard. The top is so nice I'd like to NOT install a pick guard and do a burst using dyes over the entire top but I'd need to fill in the holes an wondering if filling in the holes would stand out on the finished body, in other words, you would be able to see the filled holes. Does anyone have any experience on this and have an opinion? I suppose I could fill the holes, do the burst finish, and if the filled holes are obvious, then install a pick guard. Any thoughts? Recommendations? I've included a few photos.
That grain pattern looks dope.

Back